Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2021, 10:54   #1
lyl

Daysailers...

https://www.sailmagazine.com/boats/t...y-we-love-them

I've just read the article above, and the author's words inspired me to start this thread. I wonder the forum's opinions on the best daysailers for oceans. For lakes and such calmer waters, the answer is often obvious, but what about the coastal sailing on oceans?
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 18:42   #2

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21
Re: Daysailers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full View Post

I've just read the article above, and the author's words inspired me to start this thread. I wonder the forum's opinions on the best daysailers for oceans. For lakes and such calmer waters, the answer is often obvious, but what about the coastal sailing on oceans?

Shallow Draft, retractable dagger boards, kick-up rudder. Catamaran or Trimaran. Leaning towards Folding Trimarans, myself.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 18:43   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

If money is no option the Morris 36 is my dream (2nd) boat! https://morrisyachts.com/yachts/m36/
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 10:12   #4
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesoldier0408 View Post
Shallow Draft, retractable dagger boards, kick-up rudder. Catamaran or Trimaran. Leaning towards Folding Trimarans, myself.
I agree. Corsair trimarans have very attractive capabilities for the purpose.
Old 13-04-2021, 10:16   #5
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
If money is no option the Morris 36 is my dream (2nd) boat! https://morrisyachts.com/yachts/m36/
Morris 36 is too beautiful for my ugly face; everybody will know the boat is with me for the money!? Just joking, I'm not that rich, still ugly but not that rich!?
Here is my facvorite if $ was not a factor:
https://saffieryachts.com/models/saf...e-37ft-lounge/ with railing.
Old 13-04-2021, 10:42   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

There are a shed load of small race boats that would fit the bill from the small J boats upwards. Sure they have bunks of sorts but if its a day sailer then you want a bit of performance so light with deep fin keel so they fly

Pete

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 11:12   #7
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
There are a shed load of small race boats that would fit the bill from the small J boats upwards. Sure they have bunks of sorts but if its a day sailer then you want a bit of performance so light with deep fin keel so they fly
I'm guessing years of experience would be necessary to trim them properly - a decision to be made after the Catalina 22 phase. A "what is next?" moment has to be experienced. If more day sailing is in the horizon for another decade, then it would be a fun to get into racing a bit - otherwise it possibly would get old to cruise up and down the dock. If not, maybe a basic tiller Oceanis 30.1 kinda deal might provide a better daysailing / weekending.
Old 13-04-2021, 11:49   #8

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Daysailers...

I used to have a Cape Dory Typhoon in Florida. I loved that boat. Mine was called a weekender because it had a small cuddy but not really a cabin. Nineteen feet LOA and modified full keel but just under 3’ draft. I didn’t trailer it. But I used it on the St John’s River and the ocean for hops of 20 or so miles to Saint Augustine Fernandina, or Amilia Island. That was a small boat that could handle ocean swells, challenging ocean inlets, big wind. Did I mention I loved that boat.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 12:04   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full View Post

I'm looking forward to reading the article, but to jump in on your question, I always thought the Alerion line of boats was aimed at the "executive" daysailor. Very yar (classic-looking) and with amenities like self-tacking jib (Boyt Boom)... dinghy sailing for rich guys, basically. So, I figure an Alerion would be a reasonable ocean daysailor.

Oh, and btw, bigger lakes might not have the big slow swell of the ocean, but they are not always calm either.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 12:57   #10
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I'm looking forward to reading the article, but to jump in on your question, I always thought the Alerion line of boats was aimed at the "executive" daysailor. Very yar (classic-looking) and with amenities like self-tacking jib (Boyt Boom)... dinghy sailing for rich guys, basically. So, I figure an Alerion would be a reasonable ocean daysailor.
Anything floating made by Alerion is good looking.
Old 15-04-2021, 15:16   #11
lyl

I've start to think sailboats such as Catalina 315 or Oceanis 30.1 are the new weekenders.

Tags
sail