Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2017, 05:54   #1

Boat: Looking to buy
Deciding on a boat....

Hi, Looking for some input on the boats below. My plan is summer boating in the Great Lakes over the next 10 years and then long-term for coastal cruising down the east coast and around the bahamas.

In no particular order I'm considering... All of these from the mid to late '80s and in the 50k-70k range.

Cabo Rico 38
Pearson 385/386
Morgan 382/383/384
Bristol 39/40

A few on the larger end...
Pearson 422
Endeavour 42
Pearson 424

Would plan to be living on board and cruising at least half of the year. Would have 2 people on board w/ a dog. Some extended trips a total of 4 people.

Are any of the boats above significantly easier to sail, or to maintain? I've researched them all, and they seem to be a good choice for the sailing I want to do but, other than that, I don't know much about them. I'm also wondering if going to the larger sized boats 40-42ft is just going add more difficulty in sailing and/or increased cost to get in sailing condition and maintain. But, thinking I need to be in the 38-42 range for comfort and space.

Thank you!
JRBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:22   #2
cruiser

Re: Deciding on a boat....

Have a pocket full of money available for repairs, replacements and refurbishment on older boats listed. Look at some newer Catalinas.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:49   #3

Boat: Looking to buy

Thank you. Which models would be appropriate for the locations I want to go to?
JRBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:44   #4
cruiser

Look on yachtworld.com and see which ones suit you.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:09   #5

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Have a pocket full of money available for repairs, replacements and refurbishment on older boats listed. Look at some newer Catalinas.
I have to agree with Kenomac. Catalinas, IMHO, are under-rated; and the ability to purchase later model years for like dollars should not be underestimated in terms of re-fit costs, time between now and major repair expenses, and overall bang for the buck.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:39   #6

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRBW View Post
Thank you. Which models would be appropriate for the locations I want to go to?
In the size range you are looking at (36-42') all the Catalinas would work. It really comes to how much elbow room you need, layout preferences, maintenance history, and the creature comforts you need/desire for the longer trips. They made the 42 for a lot of years, I chartered a bunch of them in the 90's , big boat, super comfy, I like the head forward in the V - more space, pullman berth is comfy. Nothing wrong with the smaller sizes, it's all personal preference. Pay a premium for one that has been babied by a fastidious owner. The purchase premium will be less than the repair/upgrade costs.
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:58   #7

Boat: Moana 33

Quote:
... mid to late '80s and in the 50k-70k range.

Cabo Rico 38
Pearson 385/386
Morgan 382/383/384
Bristol 39/40

A few on the larger end...
Pearson 422
Endeavour 42
Pearson 424
Most of the above were high on my list too: good, heavy, sea-kindly designs that won't break the bank. The suggestions put forward by others are a completely different breed (I'm generalising here) - wide beam, flat sections - and will in no way be as comfortable IMO. Check out 'motion comfort ratio' of each design, this is a very significant factor in boat choice IMO. Also look at stability ratios for those beamy choices, not all of them reach Cat A (offshore) standard, or if they do they scrape in near the bottom. I much prefer your original choices but that's just my opinion; good solid fibreglass may well outlast anything that is cored.
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:14   #8

Boat: bare boat charter world wide

Things that might come into effect should have you personally taking any vessel out for a sea trial.

Do you fit the boat, check the over head clearance when walking down below, bow to stern. Check the berths for you and the crew for length and width.

Plus, personally check out the vessels sailing characteristics, on all points of sail, and heaving to, and anchoring , docking, picking up moorings.

Ease of working in the engine room, can you get to the engine inspect, check, repair.

Buying a used boat, get it surveyed, by in independent surveyor. And even then be prepared to lay out some big bags of shells , after she is yours.

Most boats need a lot of work, some have not sailed in years, some owners do not do any preventitive maintenance.

Are you comfortable with the reefng system, single, double or tripple. This is just a small sampling of some of the things you need to check out and inspect before making a choice.

Once you are all set , and she is yours congrats, and get to work.
bvisailing32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:31   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

Are any of the boats above significantly easier to sail, or to maintain? I haven't sailed any but did research a few of them back before I realized they probably are all about the same in the big picture.

I'm also wondering if going to the larger sized boats 40-42ft is just going add more difficulty in sailing and/or increased cost to get in sailing condition and maintain. Not really
I bet you haven't had a boat really in the past as most who ask such a question haven't.

What's the real driving thing in your boat hunt? Because if it's money you can easily spend more on those listed boats to get them to condition than you would buying a newer used boat. And then all you have is a $70-80k 30 year boat that was just a production boat of its' times.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:58   #10

Boat: Beneteau 38 first

not going to comment on which boat is best that's kind of like saying which is best chevy or ford...

as far as size again different strokes for different folks. 2 adults and a dog might just be comfortable on a 25'er but a different couple wouldn't take anything less than a 50'er.

You and your better half are going to have to go look at a bunch of boats plain and simple.

fixed full length keel or spade keel? who knows plenty of people wouldn't cruise with the rudder just hanging there waiting to be taken off first chance it gets, others want the maneuverability of a spade keel.
blue water? what's that anyways?

Then it comes down to the equipment that comes with said boat. Is there an up to date electronics package on the boat? full radar, ais, autopilot, or are you comfortable with navigation by the stars and love hand steering? How about pulling the anchor up? do you prefer pushing a button or do you want the exercise?

how about size? bigger is better right? well it might be, faster, smoother roomier but...
slips and storage are priced by the foot, so you and your first mate head up to mackinaw island for the weekend 1.50 a foot to spend the night give or take, local marina dock fee's are the same thing.

Then there's draft 4' draft great for the Caribbean but 6' draft great for going upwind.

For me it was a racer/cruiser I wanted good sailing good cruising but not the best at either.

For what it's worth my wife and my dog and I all like our boat and will be living on it in less than 2 years...
As one great lakes sailor to a future great lakes sailor!
snokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:17   #11

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

I have a Catalina 270 for sailing on a big lake and a 45 foot ketch for ocean sailing.

We rarely stay overnight on the 270, the aft cabin is a bit claustrophobic for two, but a Catalina 320 is fine for a couple.

We live aboard the 45 foot (modified Bruce Roberts Offshore 44) center cockpit ketch forweeks at a time.
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:12   #12

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

So much to consider...

The "how old" discussion is very much worth considering.

Ergonomics have been mentioned, which is very important for live aboards.

A big one for me is ease of getting in/out of water and dinghy, thus mandating a sugar scoop stern, which disqualifies many very nice older boats.

If you plan to anchor most of the time, you'll want to sleep in the V berth. If you plan to be at dock connected to shore power for the A/C, then a large aft cabin is preferable.

If you don't like to maintain wood, stay away from those beauties like the Cabo and anything with a teak deck.

No matter what model, the #1 things to watch for are (1) bad motor and (2) leaks and waterlogged decks. Both are real problems in older, poorly maintained boats. #3 is probably the standing rigging, which if you buy a Great Lakes boat is probably fine, but if it's a salt boat you will have a big bill sometime soon.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:08   #13

Since you are somewhat flexible on the make/model/size I'd just go with the best maintained boat with older electronics. That way you can get a good discount on otherwise dated electronics and still end up with a peach. Your neck of the woods should have plenty boats to choose from. And short sailing seasons help a lot too. Same as in Maine.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat