Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2023, 05:45   #1

Boat: Transworld 41
Denatured alcohol stove reservoir tank

Hi everyone,

I recently acquired a 1977 Transworld 41 ketch sailboat and it came with a stove (denatured alcohol) that has a reservoir tank that feeds the stove and my question is: Is this thing pressurized? how do you fill it? how does it work?

Thanks

p.s. I tried to post a picture but couldn't?!?!?
Marinheiro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 06:27   #2

Boat: Sabre 28
Re: Denatured alcohol stove reservoir tank

Is the tank integral on the back of the stove? What brand is it?

Chances are it is pressurized. There should be a screw on cap on the tank. You will need to bleed off the pressure before you can unscrew the fill cap.
Old 18-11-2023, 06:51   #3

Boat: Columbia 36

One of my old boats had one like that. The tank was remote about 4 feet away connected with a hose and there was a bicycle type pump to pressurize it. As I recall the fill cap had a Schrader valve (just like a car or bicycle tire) on it. I don't like alcohol stoves so I never used it, I put in a propane system instead.
If the burners on the stove have ring shaped cups around them that you fill with alcohol to preheat the burner, it has to be pressurized.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 15:32   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

There were alcohol stoves with tanks that were not pressurized. It had a little bowl under the burner to fill and light and get the burner hot I presume, like with the pressurized kind, but the unpressurized flow fed the burner. I had a stove like that on my boat when I bought her. It was probably 40 years old. I never tested it out. If it is pressurized there will be a pump on the filling neck of the tank. I had one of those when I was a kid. I am surprised I am still alive to talk about it!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 18:31   #5

Boat: Beneteau 36CC

Pressured alcohol ? Now I remember my 69 Colombia. Fond memories , what a great stove , a lot of fun to use . Much easier to get fuel compared to propane.
Never had a problem. As I recall the only maintenance it needed was adjusting or replacing the packing on the pressurizing piston.
The only problem with the stove was the boat was too slow !
Sailorichiban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 20:30   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

Sounds like a pressure alcohol tank. It should be rather beefy. And as jean says, there should be a screw off cap, and also a way to pressurize the tank. My previous boat had one. There was a tire-type valve where I could use a manual pump to pressurize the tank.

Pressure alcohol burners need to be pre-heated, which is the stage that spooks most people. If you're used to camping stoves, then you'll be fine. But if not, then take some time to learn the technique. Once you've mastered that, they operate like any normal fuel stove.

Tags
stove