Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2021, 17:09   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Desperately seeking a study...

In the Compass 48, one of the layouts had an aft cabin, not all the way aft, one enters from the cockpit (there's another companionway to go into the saloon). On the port side is a double bed, and to starboard, a large nav. station. That area could be modified to have an owner's cabin, cum work area. (On that boat, it is walk through to the saloon). Very nice sailing boat, by the way.

Some of the Oysters have an aft cabin (all the way back) that includes a desk area, as well.

Ann
Old 12-03-2021, 17:21   #17

Boat: Nauticat 33

Life at anchor is a lot better on a cat than a mono. We spend over 95% of our time on the boat at anchor. I don’t think they sail wonky at all. They sail a bit differently, but not uncomfortable at all. I’d argue the unnatural motion that some people complain about is light years better than being heeled over for days on end.

I’m not arguing for y’all to buy a cat. But just not to make up your mind with out doing the research. Cruisers preferring cats over monos is definitely a thing, and it’s probably wise to explore that before you’ve bought a 250k mono and then start going to dinners on friend’s cats.
cofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 19:42   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Probably the only conditions in which I wouldn't want to do desk work in our mono at anchor would be the one cyclone we got caught in years ago.

I am aware that people love their catamarans as much as some of us love our monos, but speaking for myself, anyway, a whole lot depends on the actual particular mono's hull shape. One with a narrow entry, with flared bows, and with a very broad flat stern does not like to pitch the same way narrow both ends or some ketch rigs do. The hull shape and length make huge differences to mono pitching.

I think the OP may well be able to find a mono that is both comfortable at anchor and can have an office space, for a great deal less $$ than a cat.

The stability game seems to me to change a lot over 44-45 ft., although this may be a mis-perception. None of our previous boats had the kind of shape this one does. She could be looking also, at Halberg Rasseys and Amels, or Moodys or, even an Allures. There are options among the monos. Imo, she should try and find a boat that makes her heart go pitty-pat.

Ann
Old 13-03-2021, 03:15   #19

Boat: Volkscruiser

Converting a cabin is no big deal. I have done it on a few boats and the biggest drama is getting the new wood veneer to match the old veneer.
It is one thing to have the budget to buy a cat, but then you need the budget to maintain it. Another truth about cats is the lack of docking spaces. That's not a problem until your husband needs to go away for work and you do not want to be left on anchor.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 08:42   #20

Boat: Lagoon 400

The change you want to make is fine. Just do not change any bulkheads arrangement as the bulkheads are structural. The berths and lockers are not.
Also do not worry about the weight distribution.
There are more significant weight issues on any boat than exchanging a berth for office equipment.
Think about water tank getting emptied on one side of the boat while the other side tank remains full or adding an A/C unit in a port side cabin while the starboard cabin gets no A/C unit.
Old 13-03-2021, 09:16   #21

Boat: C&C 29 MkI

Take a look at the Nonesuch boats, they have a shop, office,whatever already built in forward. Not to mention the apartment size quarters available in the cabin. Come in lots of sizes to fit your budget. (You would be looking for a 'Classic' for the appropriate design, not so much the 'Ultra').
fdr14127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 09:19   #22

Boat: Leopard 45

Try chartering a cat for a week and you won't go back. Sure, the mono can sail closer to the wind but when at anchor (which will be 90% of the time the comfort level and space beats the mono in spades. No offence to the monos out there. With your budget you can will have a lot to choose from be it cat or mono.
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 12:46   #23

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim King View Post
Try chartering a cat for a week and you won't go back. Sure, the mono can sail closer to the wind but when at anchor (which will be 90% of the time the comfort level and space beats the mono in spades. No offence to the monos out there. With your budget you can will have a lot to choose from be it cat or mono.
What he said. With your healthy budget I would definitely spend at least a few days on each one before I bought.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 14:19   #24

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

If you need further help let me know, I would be happy to.

I wouldn’t worry too much about weight distribution unless he needs something really heavy in the office cabin. Does he need reference books or any special equipment other than a computer and maybe an internet connection?

What’s you budget?
What size do you have in mind?
Catamaran maybe?
Filling out your profile in English is also a good idea.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 16:51   #25

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
Filling out your profile in English is also a good idea.
She stated her budget was 250k- 275k in earlier post.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 11:31   #26
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela79 View Post
Hi All,

My fourth question here. Apologies that all I have to offer so far are questions. I do try to do my research before asking but sometimes just can't find the answer! So:

My husband and I are planning to begin cruising in about a year - not ocean crossing, just short distances while we learn and grow more comfortable. But my husband will need to be able to work from the boat, and he needs (some relative amount of) privacy to do so. Using the salon table or nav station will be too challenging and the work would always be left out and turn to clutter. My question is can cabins be changed from berths to desks as long as you keep the weight distribution correct? I don't see why not. And can it be done without interfering with insurance coverage? Full insurance coverage is important as the boat will be our home. We see ourselves in a three cabin arrangement with one cabin used as study only.

I've looked at boats in our price range (and above and below) and have not yet seen a bed converted to some kind of desk, nor have I come across any companies that do this type of work. We plan on maintaining most of the boat ourselves but we would not attempt a built-in desk and chair arrangement.

Thanks!
Anything can be done if you have the cash but a lot depends on the extent of modification your after.

That said, most of the newer production boats utilize drop in liners when they are manufactured that restrict easy modification. Older boats and those custom/semi-custom don't generally use drop in liners and furniture is placed individually which make a modification easier. It is also beneficial should an out of the way leak occur and removal of furniture is necessary to stop it.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 22:06   #27

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Hi All,

My fourth question here. Apologies that all I have to offer so far are questions. I do try to do my research before asking but sometimes just can't find the answer! So:

My husband and I are planning to begin cruising in about a year - not ocean crossing, just short distances while we learn and grow more comfortable. But my husband will need to be able to work from the boat, and he needs (some relative amount of) privacy to do so. Using the salon table or nav station will be too challenging and the work would always be left out and turn to clutter. My question is can cabins be changed from berths to desks as long as you keep the weight distribution correct? I don't see why not. And can it be done without interfering with insurance coverage? Full insurance coverage is important as the boat will be our home. We see ourselves in a three cabin arrangement with one cabin used as study only.

I've looked at boats in our price range (and above and below) and have not yet seen a bed converted to some kind of desk, nor have I come across any companies that do this type of work. We plan on maintaining most of the boat ourselves but we would not attempt a built-in desk and chair arrangement.

Thanks!
Not a problem at all. One of the aft cabins will have separate access to the aft head - or at least be on the same side. That will obviously be your guest cabin. The other aft cabin cab be converted, but bear in mind that under the berth, there will probably be no room, as that is generally where some of the tankage is located.

Therefore the floor-space is all you have for the desk and seating (can't tuck your legs under the berth). Depending on how much you want to modify things, you could cut the berth area back perhaps 40-50cm of so until you get to the tank (that fwd area is usually reserved for stowage), and that would give you a little more floor space, but it is a fair bit of work for just a little gain.
Another possibility is to cut out a foot well into the base of the berth. Done neatly, it could be a removable section so that the cabin can be fully restored at any stage. With the ability to tuck you legs in there, the desk can be above where the mattress went, and you would have a storage area (open or enclosed if you went that far) between the desk underside, and the berth topside.

Depending on effort and skill, you could make a lovely work area there, and with the mattress removed, that would be at least the weight of any IT equipment you would have there, leaving only you - and if you were sleeping there, you would be there anyway. I see no issue with weight distribution.

Finally - many (including us) use the nav desk for other work. I had ideas of using the spare cabin, but found the nav area fine. You may want to try that before getting stuck into changing the spare cabin.
Old 26-03-2021, 06:52   #28

Boat: Leopard 40

You've already seen the link someone did for the O'Kelly's sewing room.
Check out the early videos on YouTube for Jessica and Ryan Adventures:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jandradventures
for the re-work they did in the rear cabin of their cat.
The early model Leopard 40s are the smaller version of the L46 that the O'Kelly's have. The aft bunks have a storage locker under that could be reconfigured as a desk. Tankage, hot water tank, and refrigeration are aft of this locker.
There are numerous tradeoffs on cat vs mono. We went from a 38ft mono to a 40ft cat (L40). The alternative was a 50+ ft mono. We tried a cat for a week and my wife favored the cat, so we went shopping. The week trip on the cat resulted in 3-4 pages of detailed requirements. You have to try both to decide which you prefer. There are things I like about each type of vessel. One rule of thumb: a cat's internal usable space is roughly equivalent to a mono that's 10 ft longer (40 ft cat vs 50 ft mono). PM if you have questions.
Good luck!
sailor1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 07:40   #29

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

Quote:
Oh wow, I just saw the Beneteau 50 with the optional desk space for $320. I like the Island Packet, and I know it's easier to take these anywhere you want to go than a Bene/Jeanneau but I don't want to pay $500. Thank you - I had yet to see this and I've been looking at boat pics a long time!
LOL .... now that's funny... you'll you will spend $275,000.00 but... $500 that's the deal breaker.... What makes the Island Packet more difficult to take "anywhere" anyway??
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 08:58   #30

Boat: Valiant 40

My first sailboat was a beach cat. I've cruised and raced catamarans in all sizes from 16 to 60 feet, but my full time boat of choice is a monohull (Valiant 40). The most miserable night of my life was spent on a big cat moored with wind and wave at opposition. I can handle pitch and roll but throw in yaw and it's lights out for me. Cats have tons of space and lots of cool attributes, but I'm with you on the classic look of a monohull 😉.

If you're on Facebook, check out the group Sailboat Interiors. Also, check YouTube for Sail Life videos. That guy has totally gutted his sailboat and started over. He's encountered just about every issue one can imagine and his videos are very informative.

As has been pointed out, newer production boats have liners that make alterations difficult. With your budget, you could pick up a classic and have a nice budget for refit. You're about to have a great adventure.

Good luck and happy hunting!
LazyLadySailor is offline   Reply With Quote