Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2021, 10:31   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 45DS...Soon...
Desperately seeking a study...

Hi All,

My fourth question here. Apologies that all I have to offer so far are questions. I do try to do my research before asking but sometimes just can't find the answer! So:

My husband and I are planning to begin cruising in about a year - not ocean crossing, just short distances while we learn and grow more comfortable. But my husband will need to be able to work from the boat, and he needs (some relative amount of) privacy to do so. Using the salon table or nav station will be too challenging and the work would always be left out and turn to clutter. My question is can cabins be changed from berths to desks as long as you keep the weight distribution correct? I don't see why not. And can it be done without interfering with insurance coverage? Full insurance coverage is important as the boat will be our home. We see ourselves in a three cabin arrangement with one cabin used as study only.

I've looked at boats in our price range (and above and below) and have not yet seen a bed converted to some kind of desk, nor have I come across any companies that do this type of work. We plan on maintaining most of the boat ourselves but we would not attempt a built-in desk and chair arrangement.

Thanks!
Angela79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:45   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Desperately seeking a study...

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

If you need further help let me know, I would be happy to.

I wouldn’t worry too much about weight distribution unless he needs something really heavy in the office cabin. Does he need reference books or any special equipment other than a computer and maybe an internet connection?

What’s you budget?
What size do you have in mind?
Catamaran maybe?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:53   #3

I wouldn’t worry too much about weight distribution unless he needs something really heavy in the office cabin. Does he need reference books or any special equipment other than a computer and maybe an internet connection?

What’s you budget?
What size do you have in mind?
Catamaran maybe?[/QUOTE]

I'll fix my profile in just a few minutes, should have already done it.

No special equipment, just a computer with a large size screen - not a laptop. Definitely an internet connection.

$250k-$275k
Around 45'
No cat, we would like a monohull.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:58   #4

Boat: Nauticat 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela79 View Post
[I]

No special equipment, just a computer with a large size screen - not a laptop. Definitely an internet connection.

$250k-$275k
Around 45'
No cat, we would like a monohull.
You'll be just fine. Move around whatever you want as long as you're not removing bulkheads.

Y'all do you, but you'd be hard pressed to find many folks who have the budget for a catamaran and actually prefer living full-time on a monohull.
cofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:07   #5

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Another vote for “you’re good”

Try to optimize whatever already exists in one of the cabins. I’d put the office in the v berth myself. Lends itself to a centrally located chair and being able to swivel around and get at lots of stuff. Also, they are typically lousy to sleep in due to motion, noise, odd shaped berths.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:10   #6

Y'all do you, but you'd be hard pressed to find many folks who have the budget for a catamaran and actually prefer living full-time on a monohull.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps that will change as we do more sailing; we've yet to sail a cat and we can go up in price if we need to. But sailing a monohull seems more straightforward than a cat and I would want to be able to handle the boat myself if need be. The main reason - and I'm sure I'm romanticizing - is that I love the tradition and look of the monohull
Old 12-03-2021, 11:18   #7

Boat: Nauticat 33

Quote:
[I]
Perhaps that will change as we do more sailing; we've yet to sail a cat and we can go up in price if we need to. But sailing a monohull seems more straightforward than a cat and I would want to be able to handle the boat myself if need be. The main reason - and I'm sure I'm romanticizing - is that I love the tradition and look of the monohull
Just a single data point - We're on our second mono. Live aboard full-time. A family of three and a dog. We love our boat, it's prefect for the type of cruising we do. We would trade this boat in less than a second for a decent catamaran.

To anyone I knew personally, I would whole heartedly suggest that if you have the budget for a cat, at least go look at some. If you're able to sail one, even better.
cofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:24   #8

We would trade this boat in less than a second for a decent catamaran.

To anyone I knew personally, I would whole heartedly suggest that if you have the budget for a cat, at least go look at some. If you're able to sail one, even better.[/QUOTE]

I'm almost reluctant to ask because I've seen threads here become combative over arguments involving cat lovers vs mono lovers...But, why would you personally take the cat over the mono? Just for the space? I've heard they sail wonky, that being under way is not very comfortable. Then again I've also heard they're better on anchor.
Old 12-03-2021, 11:27   #9

Boat: Hunter 36

Converting a sleeping cabin to a study is no problem whatsoever. The idea is not that unusual. I have seen people who have done this, or the other popular option is to convert a cabin to a workbench space instead. If it's done to professional quality, it could even add value to your boat because it helps your boat stand out from the others on the market. I don't see how that would ever affect your insurance.

In some cases you might have water/fuel/holding tanks under the beds which aren't too hard to work around. In extreme cases, they could even be moved, but that will take more effort.

But if you look around, there are some sailboats that already have a small office built in as an option. Off the top of my head I can think of the Island Packet 485 and Beneteau Sense 50 or 55 (I think these models all had choice between office space or more bunks). I'm sure there are others.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:43   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
Converting a sleeping cabin to a study is no problem whatsoever. The idea is not that unusual. I have seen people who have done this, or the other popular option is to convert a cabin to a workbench space instead. If it's done to professional quality, it could even add value to your boat because it helps your boat stand out from the others on the market. I don't see how that would ever affect your insurance.

In some cases you might have water/fuel/holding tanks under the beds which aren't too hard to work around. In extreme cases, they could even be moved, but that will take more effort.

But if you look around, there are some sailboats that already have a small office built in as an option. Off the top of my head I can think of the Island Packet 485 and Beneteau Sense 50 or 55 (I think these models all had choice between office space or more bunks). I'm sure there are others.

Oh wow, I just saw the Beneteau 50 with the optional desk space for $320. I like the Island Packet, and I know it's easier to take these anywhere you want to go than a Bene/Jeanneau but I don't want to pay $500. Thank you - I had yet to see this and I've been looking at boat pics a long time!
Old 12-03-2021, 12:12   #11

Boat: Bateau FS17

I know you said no cats, but just an idea of someone's converted work space for ideas on whatever you do end up with.

7:40 mark shows the sewing room/work station area
11:45 is sound booth/recording area

the sewing area room they show would also make a huge office space, and can still be converted back to a bed when needed.(obviously stowing the office equipment)
Narfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:39   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfi View Post
I know you said no cats, but just an idea of someone's converted work space for ideas on whatever you do end up with.

7:40 mark shows the sewing room/work station area
11:45 is sound booth/recording area

the sewing area room they show would also make a huge office space, and can still be converted back to a bed when needed.(obviously stowing the office equipment)

They did an incredible job with their conversions, I got some great ideas. I want to know what that guy is eating, he’s my age but looks like he’s 29!!
Old 12-03-2021, 12:50   #13

Boat: Bateau FS17

I think probably sun and fun and a happy wife will keep you young longer.
Genetics probably more.....
They do seem to try eating healthy and exercise some.
Narfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 13:22   #14

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
..........My question is can cabins be changed from berths to desks as long as you keep the weight distribution correct?............ And can it be done without interfering with insurance coverage?...........
1. Can cabins be changed from berths to desks as long as you keep the weight distribution correct? YES......... Just watch Property Brothers and then find a marine woodworking contractor to prepare a design and make the conversion. I know many marine woodworking contractors in the San Francisco Bay. Weight distribution will not be an issue in a three cabin boat that relatively heavy.

2. Can it be done without interfering with insurance coverage? YES....insurance companies will not care.....no different than a house.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 14:11   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post
1. Can cabins be changed from berths to desks as long as you keep the weight distribution correct? YES......... Just watch Property Brothers and then find a marine woodworking contractor to prepare a design and make the conversion. I know many marine woodworking contractors in the San Francisco Bay. Weight distribution will not be an issue in a three cabin boat that relatively heavy.

2. Can it be done without interfering with insurance coverage? YES....insurance companies will not care.....no different than a house.
Thank you - Very helpful!