Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2023, 23:08   #1

Boat: Islander Bahama 30
Did I screw up my transmission?

Hi all,
I have sailboat with a Yanmar 2GM20 in it. Two weeks ago I started it in gear. It make a clacking sound for about two seconds before I I realized what happened snd put it in gear. I was exhausted after a pretty long multi-day sail and wasn’t paying attention. I have a Vetas gear shift that I installed.

Since then it was fine until yesterday. I started it in neutral several times as I was coming back from Catalina, but on one start (while in neutral) the transmission (I asume) made a clacking sound for about two seconds. Then it stopped and the motor went on to run ok for a few minutes. I shifted into neutral a few more times then back i to gear and it didn’t repeat the clacking noise. nor did it repeat after I turned the engine off, sailed, then restarted the engine.

My concern is that starting in gear threw something off in the transmission which is intermittently recurring based on the location of the damage I’ve already done. Is that a reasonable ready? The Vetus control came with a switch that stops you from starting in gear, which I should have installed. I will install it now for certain, but hoping I haven’t screwed up my transmission.

Is there anything I should be checking for/ planning to fix based on what I’ve described?
zachduckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2023, 03:58   #2

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30
Re: Did I screw up my transmission?

Hi Zach, I'm pretty sure that starting the engine in gear didn't do damage to your transmission. Why would it? The transmission doesn't know or care if the engine is running and turning it or the starter motor is turning it.
Starting in gear would only put more load on the starter motor as it is then turning the propshaft and prop in addition to the engine and transmission.

I suggest the "clacking" sound is coming from your engine not the transmission. Sometimes in older engines the pistons and other moving parts are worn enough that they are a bit loose when cold. As soon as the engine worms up and oil starts to get pumped to the bearings, things tighten up. I had a Bukh DV20 that clacked and rattled every time it was started, but that only lasted about 5 seconds.
How old is your engine? How many hours on the clock? Are you changing the oil regularly and keeping it topped up? When was the last time the valves were adjusted?
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2023, 04:48   #3

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

When was the last time you changed the fluid? Some people assume it’s like a car and never needs servicing…..
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2023, 05:20   #4

Your transmission might or might not have issues, but starting it in gear absolutely did NOT cause them.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2023, 11:31   #5

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

No harm to the transmission.
But the noise might have come from the Bendix drive on the starter working harder with the added drag of turning the prop.
That is my best educated guess.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2023, 23:32   #6

Boat: Islander Bahama 30

Thanks everyone for the answers, gives me some more, better insight on the issue. So just maybe not as bad as I thought.
Engine only had 500 odd hours on it when I bought it last year. Has been working great since. I just hope that the weird mystery sound ends. I've got enough projects going (new head pipes, new rigging) to complete without a major engine project too..
zachduckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2023, 00:40   #7

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Check the drive plate or the drive disc between the engine and g/ box ,but first check the G/ box oil and level also the shaft to g / box coupling is not loose .⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, transmission