Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2017, 15:57   #76

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft
Re: Difference between Amel models

Welcome aboard.

Here are all 54's listed in yachtworld

YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale

Enjoy the drooling.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 16:09   #77

Boat: 1987 Southerly 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Welcome aboard.

Here are all 54's listed in yachtworld

YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale

Enjoy the drooling.
Thanks you! That's helpful to drool, but I'm not understanding why there are no formal specs on the Amel 54 boats to be found.

The listings also show them to be 53, 54, and 56-foot versions made within a few years of each other. Doesn't line up with what I know of Amel - making a few select models for a number of years.

Just looking to understand the line up, history, lineage. The (Super) Maramu would take some retrofit work. The current Amel 55 is quite pricey. So looking for that in-between, which may very well be the Amel 54 if I can figure out more official information on those.
Slovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 17:04   #78

Boat: 1987 Southerly 115

Additional research yields official specs. Yay! It's not a phantom model.

What years were these made? How many hulls?
Slovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 03:53   #79

Hello Slovak. A good friend owns an Amel 54 and I asked him to send me a copy of his "Owner's Manual".

Send me a PM which includes your email address and I'll send it to you.

Cheers
Old 24-08-2017, 09:40   #80

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

Hi
before trying the expensive Super Maramus I would have look to the very reliable, but less expensive and a little less luxury Maramus what have been built in the spirit of Henri Amel, every thing you really need but nothing what is unnecessary. Perhaps not one of the first built (1979 or so) but the 2nd Generation with two deck lockers on the aft deck.
GL James
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 09:57   #81

Boat: looking to buy my own 40 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
Howdy!

I hope someone here will answer that question, as I have wondered about that too.
I also am wondering the differences between amel models. I think the supers have the electric winches and a extrarefridgerator under the gally seating and a bow thruster. I could be wrong some boats that are not supers migh have the bow thruster especially when over 55 feet.
Lucas1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 23:02   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentP View Post
We live-aboard our Mango 1987. One of the dfferences is the Mango lack the bathing platform,
I'm kind of curious how you would go about adding a swim platform to the stern of a Mango or a Santorin. I think those are both admirable boats, but I need easy access from the stern. Does anyone have a clue what kind of job that might be?
Old 16-12-2018, 19:44   #83

Boat: Westerly 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPanic View Post
I'm kind of curious how you would go about adding a swim platform to the stern of a Mango or a Santorin. I think those are both admirable boats, but I need easy access from the stern. Does anyone have a clue what kind of job that might be?
I would be very interested in hearing anyone's experience with this. There is a YouTube video of a Mango that appears to have a stern swim platform. It's in French and the title is "traversee de l'atlantique sue voiler AMEL MANGO".

More generally, I would like to know whether owners think Amels are easier/harder and cheaper/costlier to maintain compared to other yachts of a comparable size and age.
Budawang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 07:55   #84

Bump...
Interested in peoples thoughts on this also and any possible new info....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budawang View Post
More generally, I would like to know whether owners think Amels are easier/harder and cheaper/costlier to maintain compared to other yachts of a comparable size and age.
Harry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 19:05   #85

They are boats; always something broken.

You must plan 10-15% of the boat value as general maintenance/wear and tear items per year. If you want big upgrades, these must be above the general maintenance costs.

I doubt they cost more than any other high quality yacht of the same size...
Old 17-06-2019, 20:05   #86

Boat: looking to buy my own 40 foot

[QUOTE=GeneralPanic;2729001]I'm kind of curious how you would go about adding a swim platform to the stern of a Mango or a Santorin. I think those are both admirable boats, but I need easy access from the stern. Does anyone have a clue what kind of job

Any decent boatyard with a fabrication shop can custom build you anything you want off the back of your boat or any other part, with stainless steels usually and you can't even see where the welding was don't as they will use tubeular2'or 2.5 inch stainless and buff the welds away, o trace of them and they can make the rest of your platform out of wood and fibre or anything. I have seen this quality work done on the boat Esperr from youtube "follow the boat" and that couple. labour is cheap there but materials are basically the same, I am not sure how much it would cost in North America.
Lucas1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 07:15   #87

[QUOTE=Lucas1983;2910932]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPanic View Post
I'm kind of curious how you would go about adding a swim platform to the stern of a Mango or a Santorin. I think those are both admirable boats, but I need easy access from the stern. Does anyone have a clue what kind of job

Any decent boatyard with a fabrication shop can custom build you anything you want off the back of your boat or any other part, with stainless steels usually and you can't even see where the welding was don't as they will use tubeular2'or 2.5 inch stainless and buff the welds away, o trace of them and they can make the rest of your platform out of wood and fibre or anything. I have seen this quality work done on the boat Esperr from youtube "follow the boat" and that couple. labour is cheap there but materials are basically the same, I am not sure how much it would cost in North America.
Hi Lucas and General Panic, I'd be careful installing a protuberance of this type. On a previous boat, I had a fixed bathing platform and it got seriously damaged during a stern mooring in Meltemi winds in Greece. Why do you think the principal builders work so hard at designing retractable systems? Because so many boats got their sterns damaged!

Tags
enc, model