Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2013, 10:23   #1

Boat: Club Sailor; various
Difficult anchor lockers?

I seem to recall a recent post where someone complained about the anchor locker being accessed through the V-berth rather than an anchor locker at the bow pulpit. If true, which manufactures of boats under 32' don't have a "standard" easily accessible anchor locker on the bow of the boat?
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 14:28   #2

Boat: Club Sailor; various
Re: Difficult anchor lockers?

Maybe it was a deck spill pipe and a below deck chain and rode he was complaining about. Maybe my question should have been, "which boats less than 32' utilize a below deck chain and rode rather than an on-deck anchor locker?"
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 15:34   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
Maybe it was a deck spill pipe and a below deck chain and rode he was complaining about. Maybe my question should have been: which boats less than 32' utilize a below deck chain and rode rather than an on-deck anchor locker?
Prior to the early 1980's a chain locker accessed from the foredeck was very unusual. The first I recall seeing was around 1982 and I remember thinking what a dumb arrangement it was in the event of a knock-down as nothing but two small pins were provided to lock the lid in place. And, by not having the deck sealed, the drive assembly for a vertical windlass, which I feel is superior to horizontal windlass's which can only grip a chain for 90º, would be very problematic. Since the early '80's chain lockers accessed from the foredeck have evolved and become very commonplace although the problems, including the difficulty of adequately securing the covers and the relative shallowness which disallows adequate fall as the chain is stripped off the gypsy so that the chain is self-stowing persists.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 15:41   #4

Boat: 1978 Tartan 30

I built one in my Tartan 30. Cut a hole on the foredeck for a spill pipe and made a compartment in the very forward section of the boat. Wasn't too hard. I don't have a windlass so I pull the anchor up by hand. The only negative is it has to drain into the bilge but so far not much water or mud gets in. I usually disconnect the chain from the anchor for longer trips and store it all down below.
SlugmasterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 16:01   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

chain lockers are accessed thru the forepeak/vee berth.

anchor lockers are accessed on deck.

not all boats have anchor lockers.

not all boats have chain lockers.

some have neither.

my formosa has a chain locker and on the sprit i have anchor rollers, one on each side of the sprit, placement for 2 anchors.
chain passes thru a hawse in the deck just for that particular job,one for each windlass, and chain is held in the chain locker.
my chain locker is divided into halves -one side for each windlass to deliver its chain to the locker.

my ericson has a chain locker, no windlass, and only accesses thru the v-berth. anchor is held to bow on a roller.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 17:24   #6

My last boat had an anchor locker that was shallow and every thing had to be arranged just so are it would not fit ! the area under it in the v-berth was not much good for storage because when the bow started going under in rough weather what ever was there got wet because there were so many places to leak,chain plate, stanchions, cleats, lights, etc. The solution was to cut the locker out and glass the entire area into an anchor locker that drained overboard now it was huge and useful and if I smashed into something it had a watertight bulkhead!!
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor