Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2013, 15:25   #1

Dilemma

I have contract job that will end in January and have saved up around 30k to have a cruising adventure. This forum has been very helpful in selling me this concept. I'm in my mid 20s and don't mind minimalist living conditions. My idea was to buy boat under 30 feet on the Chesapeake Bay (near where I currently live) and work my way down the ICW into Florida. Possibly cruise around south Florida and Bahamas for 6-8 months..... but then it started getting cold and I began to think about buying a boat in Florida. This way I could instantly use it and avoid a month motoring under bridges. I've been looking at purchasing a boat around or under 10k and using the rest for fun and normal expenses. Now my questions if you are still reading.

Buying in Florida good or bad idea? Size of vessel for single handling and simple systems (was thinking 27 ft or under)? I've looked at a few Cal 27s, Bristol 27, Ericson 25, Catalina 25&27. Should I get something with an outboard? I was even thinking something as small as 25 feet, so I could anchor in shallow areas. A majority of my experiences on sailboats (underway for a couple days) have been on vessels 36ft+. Any form of insight would be helpful.

Thanks
sandfiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 15:37   #2

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Dilemma

Lots of boats in Florida and unless you like motoring in the ICW you will save yourself a things like waiting at bridges and buying gas. One thing lots of folks forget is if you are cruising you will need some type of tender and an outboard can really make life easier if you anchor any distance from the dock. You will also need good ground tackle, especially if you want feel secure when you leave your boat or when you sleep at night. I would recommend something like Drag Queen on an iPhone or equivalent Android app.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 15:42   #3
DWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfiddler View Post
I have contract job that will end in January and have saved up around 30k to have a cruising adventure. This forum has been very helpful in selling me this concept. I'm in my mid 20s and don't mind minimalist living conditions. My idea was to buy boat under 30 feet on the Chesapeake Bay (near where I currently live) and work my way down the ICW into Florida. Possibly cruise around south Florida and Bahamas for 6-8 months..... but then it started getting cold and I began to think about buying a boat in Florida. This way I could instantly use it and avoid a month motoring under bridges. I've been looking at purchasing a boat around or under 10k and using the rest for fun and normal expenses. Now my questions if you are still reading.

Buying in Florida good or bad idea? Size of vessel for single handling and simple systems (was thinking 27 ft or under)? I've looked at a few Cal 27s, Bristol 27, Ericson 25, Catalina 25&27. Should I get something with an outboard? I was even thinking something as small as 25 feet, so I could anchor in shallow areas. A majority of my experiences on sailboats (underway for a couple days) have been on vessels 36ft+. Any form of insight would be helpful.

Thanks
I have for-sale one of the nicest 30' Morgan you will ever see. And I am located in the Florida Keys.
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 16:24   #4

My suggestion is for roughing it on a Rhodes 19 under tarp. A shallow draft planing skiff is what I'm talking about. The Rhodes is of notable, sea worthy design and can carry a large payload. Also, look into sailing smacks.

The above is if you were to buy which I do not favor. No, I say you find some like minded persons and live a grand life on their boat. Folks at your age haven't succumbed to hardening of the attitudes which means fun and good friends. Further, hitch a ride down to FLA to launch. Hitchhiking is kaput anymore so try to find a trucker (Owner/Operator) who would agree to deliver you and your stuff. There has to be a website to pair riders with drivers.

You don't say what is your experience nor if there will be income while you frit away that $30K which incidentally will vanish before you know it if you buy. That is, unless you have means to replenish the kitty along the way.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 16:26   #5

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

If that's a Charly Morgan 30 keel CB racer cruiser good boat I owned a 1970 for several years. Good sea boat and good sailor. The front sections tended to oil can in heavy seas many incorporated reinforced shelves along the flat sections above the V berth to correct this fault. The original atomic four not my first choice for a motor but is workable. If a resent exhaust rebuild not already done may need one.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 16:29   #6

27-30 feet is fine. Make double double sure the boat is sound. Inboard engine much better, but surely you can do the bahamas for a year with an outboard.
Some of the big things that can be costly on an old boat: Sails, rigging, tanks, engines, bolt on keels, rudders. Some 27 footers are out there almost give a way prices.... find the right one and add some new stuff if it all fits your budget and time. You can probably fix any two of the above major items on a boat, but too many and you're broke!
Two years ago I passed on an old Islander 30 that had 2 new sails, all new rigging, new roller furling, new 3 cyl yanmar engine... $5000! the boat had blisters and part of the deck /cockpit had been repainted with a brush and latex. If it was in florida and I had wanted to go to the Bahamas for a year cheap... it was perfect!
I guess what I'm saying is your boat is a TOOL. Dont get emotionally involved and get the one that no more than two of the big ticket items are bad... and preferably none!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 16:30   #7

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

The R 19 was also made as an O Day 19+ with a cabin and CB. I owned two very good sailors for their size. Not best open ocean boat cockpit to large but great inland and shallow water boat. Easily driven by six or eight HP OB. with kick up rudder and cb can be beached.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 16:33   #8

Right! $30K is near enough to the bottom. But does one want to spend there time chasing down boat deals or out on a ready to go boat $30K doesn't allow much latitude. Then there is always the maintenance.
Old 22-11-2013, 16:39   #9

Re: Rhodes 19.

I've in mind finding the boat 'down there'. Cruise among the shallows, beaching for the night, eating crab, fish, etc all de day long.

I owned a R19 and it was a joy. In fact, for what it is I would say it is a spectacular boat.
Old 22-11-2013, 16:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
Re: Rhodes 19.

I've in mind finding the boat 'down there'. Cruise among the shallows, beaching for the night, eating crab, fish, etc all de day long.

I owned a R19 and it was a joy. In fact, for what it is I would say it is a spectacular boat.
I've been sailing most of my life with grandparents and parents on the Chesapeake Bay. I just don't have my own boat and wanted an adventure. I think 19 feet would definitely be minimal and interesting time. I was imagining that 30k would be enough to purchase small sailboat and roam around south Florida or the Bahamas for 6-8 months? The boats I've looked at so far have been in really good shape...two of them have had brand new beta motors installed in the past 5 years but they are located on the bay. I'm just considering an alternative path, like buying something in Florida, so I can avoid the winterization period and motor down.

All advice welcomed
sandfiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 17:29   #11

Is it possible, that is, would you want to, bring dad onboard for him to help you in the search?

I really don't know what's out there for monohulls in that price range. It does sound exciting that 'good' boats are to be found for $10K or so. By 'good' I will assume well founded and not in need of major expenditures now or in the near future. Will you carry insurance even if it's only liability? Lic & reg, etc....
Old 22-11-2013, 20:00   #12

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Sounds crazy but a well found Catalina 27 would do the trick, preferably with an inboard. They are plentiful and cheap, the 27 was one of the better sailing hulls in the early Catalina range, at that time. A couple have even done a circumnavigation with some modifications.
With a couple decent sails and a good rig it would do everything you are looking to do and probably for around $5000.00 TO $7000.00. Parts and sails are cheap since there are so many of them and the interior is relatively spacious for it's size. Just make sure you really look over any boat you look at, it's the small things that add up when you need to repair them.
Like any boat you plan to live on, water storage, ground gear and galley fit out is important if you plan to live aboard. That's as basic as it gets.
As for a Rhodes? Are you kidding? I originally explored local cruising on an 18' open day sailor, after a week or so you lose patients with living under a tarp in the rain. It was fun at the time but I bought a boat with real living quarters as soon as I could afford it, small but it had a real bunk. Their fun for weeks adventure but not for an extended period of living aboard.
Want an adventure? Try pooping over the side of an open boat while at sea on a fairly brisk day. How's your balance now?
My ultimate respect goes out to Shackleton and his crew on their southern ocean crossing in a small boat.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 04:31   #13

Boat: Tayana 37
There's a Catalina 30 for sale near me in Charleston for 8k. It needs a few repairs, but is in overall good condition. I believe it needs a new genoa, new running rigging and possibly a part for the inboard. But it is already equipped with solar and an autopilot. PM me ans I can give you the sellers info.
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 06:46   #14

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

I have a 30' S2 CC for sale on the Chesapeake but it is probably a bit more than you want to spend. For the plans you have it would be ideal.
Find a boat in good condition or you will spend much more than you anticipate on repairs, maintenance etc. it ADHD up fast!
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 07:36   #15
DWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
If that's a Charly Morgan 30 keel CB racer cruiser good boat I owned a 1970 for several years. Good sea boat and good sailor. The front sections tended to oil can in heavy seas many incorporated reinforced shelves along the flat sections above the V berth to correct this fault. The original atomic four not my first choice for a motor but is workable. If a resent exhaust rebuild not already done may need one.

YES, it is the traditional 30'. Has a diesel engine, 30hp Westerbeke. Framing around a new 44 gal water tank up front would of taken care of an oil canning it might of had. CB works with an 12 volt electric actuator. Just push a button to go up or down. PO put additional lead in the keel so it sails like a dream, totally balanced, set the main, set the jib and let go of the rudder and she'll sail forever on her own. Has an electrical system that most much larger boat do not have. It was truly my labor of love. Buying a bigger boat and need to part from her.
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote