Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2015, 08:34   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Dilemma....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJames777 View Post
I appreciate the feedback. It going to come down to just buying one and living with it for a while to see if I made the correct choice for me and my family at this time. Need some definite refreshment training in sail and my wide has nev sailed so that's something we need to remedy if we go that route unlike power where we can just jump right in and go. However, there is the cost factor and we do a lot of traveling. Going to be making a decision very soon as I am going robe looking at all my top 4 within the next 2 weeks starting tomorrow. Will fill you in as to what I decide to buy. I'm sure after a purchase is made either way, I'm going to be posting a lot as my first run after we verify the seaworthiness is going to be toward the Bahamas!
Just saw your last post. Charter both before purchasing. It can take a long time to sell a boat that might have turned out to be the wrong choice. You don't buy a car without a test drive.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 21:53   #17

The Trojan and the hatteras I know pretty well as I have tons of experience with both. For the mission, I think I am going to be purchasing a Morgan 382. Yes, I am going to need a bit of refreshing of my sailing skills and get sime additional certificates, and I will have to get my wife up to speed as she has never been on any boat other than a power boat. However, this seems to be the best move for me at this time and after spending most of the day crunching numbers and plotting trips the Morgan seems to make more sense right now. Even if I have to motor some of the time, the speed is about half of the power boat running it at economy cruise with a lot less fuel burn. Venturing into buying a sailboat after all the years behind powerful twin screws is pretty exciting. Love the challenge.
BJames777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 00:11   #18

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
The Trojan and the hatteras I know pretty well as I have tons of experience with both. For the mission, I think I am going to be purchasing a Morgan 382. Yes, I am going to need a bit of refreshing of my sailing skills and get sime additional certificates, and I will have to get my wife up to speed as she has never been on any boat other than a power boat. However, this seems to be the best move for me at this time and after spending most of the day crunching numbers and plotting trips the Morgan seems to make more sense right now. Even if I have to motor some of the time, the speed is about half of the power boat running it at economy cruise with a lot less fuel burn. Venturing into buying a sailboat after all the years behind powerful twin screws is pretty exciting. Love the challenge.
Get your wife aboard first... no point spending lots of dosh if TOTMBO will not come aboard.

Buy anti sea sickness suppositories ... works super well. Pills are only 10 % as effective.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 07:31   #19

Boat: Rafiki 37

As said, you can fish off a sailboat - I've installed a scotty electric downrigger on mine and troll for salmon
Old 18-02-2015, 16:30   #20

When the wx stops being freezing and windy I'm going to be heading to 2 marinas and buying one of the two Morgans. Wife is happy either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 18-02-2015, 16:31   #21

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Yay! We won another convert!
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 20:23   #22

I was an easy convert.