Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2015, 19:06   #1

Dilemma....

New guy here and I posted this in the powerboat section as I am in a sate of flux:

New guy to the forum and I know it's probably been beaten to death but I am going to look for some guidance anyway to the eternal question: sail or power. Now, before you go shaking your heads I have been around boats all my life to know to load this up with my mission: North Carolina the Bahamas to Curaçao and to Colombia with islands in between. Been all over in motor yachts but now it is ME that's going to foot the bill. Other than a sunfish and a catamaran that I sailed for most of my youth off the coast of cape cod, my experience has been mostly power. However, the love of sail has never left me............and neither has the love if diving and fishing. See my dilemma? Having not won the recent powerball I have narrowed my selections to a couple of 38-41 foot sailboats, Morgans, and 2 power boats, diesel power hatteras and Trojan. Maintenance isn't an issue as I have to tools and facilities to do almost all my own work. Obviously, the distances I am traveling would require a lot of time living on the boat. So, with all that said, I welcome any and all perspectives in helping me make a decision. Thanks!
BJames777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 19:12   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Dilemma....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJames777 View Post
New guy here and I posted this in the powerboat section as I am in a sate of flux:

New guy to the forum and I know it's probably been beaten to death but I am going to look for some guidance anyway to the eternal question: sail or power. Now, before you go shaking your heads I have been around boats all my life to know to load this up with my mission: North Carolina the Bahamas to Curaçao and to Colombia with islands in between. Been all over in motor yachts but now it is ME that's going to foot the bill. Other than a sunfish and a catamaran that I sailed for most of my youth off the coast of cape cod, my experience has been mostly power. However, the love of sail has never left me............and neither has the love if diving and fishing. See my dilemma? Having not won the recent powerball I have narrowed my selections to a couple of 38-41 foot sailboats, Morgans, and 2 power boats, diesel power hatteras and Trojan. Maintenance isn't an issue as I have to tools and facilities to do almost all my own work. Obviously, the distances I am traveling would require a lot of time living on the boat. So, with all that said, I welcome any and all perspectives in helping me make a decision. Thanks!
If the dilemma is whether to go buy a power boat or a sail boat, I think the answer is in Bold above. . One can fish and dive from sailboats, and even cruise them under power, but one cannot sail a power boat.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 20:50   #3

Boat: Catalina 387

Here's a quote:

"The point of the journey is not to arrive."

If you respond positively to that, sail it is. If the point of the journey is mostly to get to your destination, power (and more speed than sail/trawler).

Somewhat related story time... At about 4 hours into a trip to Catalina, I may be looked at by bored family members and they ask "How long would the express take?" (An hour) -- those are folks that like power. Me? I'm happiest on the way over. Be it 6 hours.... 8 hours.... etc... Came back once at about 2kts because we were low on fuel. I thought it was a blast drifting along on perfectly glassy seas.

It depends on what you really want, what your range wants are (sail has essentially unlimited range, if you're patient), and what your cost structure is. For a bigger boat, I think sail comes close or exceeds the cost of power. Sails are wicked expensive (Dockhead has a thread about this). For a smaller boat, sail wins out bigtime as far as cost. I log around 100-200 miles/month, and never spend more than $40/month on fuel. A similar sized powerboat would spend close to a grand (or more) for fuel for the same distance. (Trawlers excepted)
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 04:12   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, BJames.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 04:25   #5

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJames777 View Post

as the others have allayed to - this is probably more a question of your personality and temperment than anything else.

Personally I like the serenity of a sailboat. I can fish and dive off a sailboat. But the sailboat requires more work for just sailing than a power boat.
to each his (her) own, but to me a sailboat is part of the experience a power boat isn't, so it is not a difficult decision for me.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 04:46   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

One word... repeated over and over....

whoosh..... whoooooosh... woosh..... whoooooosh...

VS

one word .....

Grind-grind-grind-grind-grind-grind...
(volume also at least 3x as loud as whoosh

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 04:53   #7

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
One word... repeated over and over....

whoosh..... whoooooosh... woosh..... whoooooosh...

VS

one word .....

Grind-grind-grind-grind-grind-grind...
(volume also at least 3x as loud as whoosh
Happy - might need to trim your sails if you are constantly hearing whoosh, whooosh

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 05:12   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Happy - might need to trim your sails if you are constantly hearing whoosh, whooosh
dangit...

OK... how 'bout....

Sshhh... sssshhhhhhh... shh-ssshh... Sshhhhhhh....

methinks canvas does more like a ...

wump... wumpwump.... wuuuuuuump..... (bang) wummmmmpP!....

look now... you distracted me...
(a-jibe)

Old 17-02-2015, 05:32   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I have an electric winch on the Colvic......
Man has it made life easier.

Whir Whir Whir......

My fingers dont even get tired. If it goes on like this, I will think sailing is easy.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 05:38   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I have an electric winch on the Colvic......
Man has it made life easier.

Whir Whir Whir......

My fingers dont even get tired. If it goes on like this, I will think sailing is easy.
How many whir's does it take until finger fatigue???

Old 17-02-2015, 05:39   #11

Boat: Camano Troll

It's your money and your life. Putting the decision in the hands of strangers on the Internet is not a good choice. Put the same question to a different forum and you are likely to get a different answer.

If you can't decide between a power boat and a sail boat, you are not ready to make a purchase. Perhaps chartering on of each for a week or two would help you decide.

Speaking as a power boater and a stranger on the Internet, I can tell you that power boating is less physical work than operating a sailboat. It's usually more comfortable, you don't have to rely on the wind and it's more maneuverable. Many sail boaters convert to power boats (usually trawlers) as they age and their physical abilities diminish or they just get tired of the work.

Again, it's your money and your choice. Do the research until you're certain you are making the right decision for you, not a bunch of strangers.
Old 17-02-2015, 05:39   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
How many whir's does it take until finger fatigue???
Whir are you coming from?!
Old 17-02-2015, 05:42   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

To the OP.

What do YOU want to do?

Choose.

Do it.

Benefits and advantages in both.

But please get an electric winch, even on a power vessel. So much fun.
Old 17-02-2015, 08:03   #14

I appreciate the feedback. It going to come down to just buying one and living with it for a while to see if I made the correct choice for me and my family at this time. Need some definite refreshment training in sail and my wide has nev sailed so that's something we need to remedy if we go that route unlike power where we can just jump right in and go. However, there is the cost factor and we do a lot of traveling. Going to be making a decision very soon as I am going robe looking at all my top 4 within the next 2 weeks starting tomorrow. Will fill you in as to what I decide to buy. I'm sure after a purchase is made either way, I'm going to be posting a lot as my first run after we verify the seaworthiness is going to be toward the Bahamas!
BJames777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 08:31   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
It's your money and your life. Putting the decision in the hands of strangers on the Internet is not a good choice. Put the same question to a different forum and you are likely to get a different answer.

If you can't decide between a power boat and a sail boat, you are not ready to make a purchase. Perhaps chartering on of each for a week or two would help you decide.

Speaking as a power boater and a stranger on the Internet, I can tell you that power boating is less physical work than operating a sailboat. It's usually more comfortable, you don't have to rely on the wind and it's more maneuverable. Many sail boaters convert to power boats (usually trawlers) as they age and their physical abilities diminish or they just get tired of the work.

Again, it's your money and your choice. Do the research until you're certain you are making the right decision for you, not a bunch of strangers.
I agree with chartering both sail and power to help the OP make that decision.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote