Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2021, 11:27   #46

Boat: Swan 57
Re: Ditching the diesel inboard engine

I'm sorry, but the best with a good sailboat is a good motor. You may be able to use a small outboard moving your boat, maybe in the conditions we saw on video above.
But when you really need your motor, you are on a lee shore, the waves are steep and an outboard propeller is in the water maybe half the time. It is not safe using a small outboard on a 5 ton boat.
You seem to have a very negative mindset about your engine, maybe to convince yourself choosing the easiest option, but there is a very simple best option which would even provide some cash for you.
Sell your outboard. Use a fraction of the money to sort your excellent Buck-engine out, and have some cash to spare.
The Buck will give you twice the power, several times the torque, much cheaper to run, more reliable, and a much larger prop which is in the water all the time. Make sure to clean the prop from barnacles.
This is a no brainer, if you ditch the Diesel you will make a big mistake.
Hermia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 12:08   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
I'm told the Med often requires a lot of motoring - maybe not the best place for a small outboard to be pushing a steel boat (even a lighter one) Your better option would be to get a job someplace and get that diesel fixed properly so you're not so limited on where you can go.
C' mon man dont make me get a job! I hate working for money I ve been traveling penyless (more or less) for the last 25 years

You are right that the diesel will open more options, and the same applies probably for a hinged mast in a tabernacle, a shallow draft boat, etc.

Last year i went to places in a 65cm draft twin keel, and i passed through some very interesting shallow areas where not many other boats where venturing. I even grounded the boat a few times. Not a big deal with the twin keel.

At the end, every boat will offer some possibilities and have some drawbacks. The kind of motorization, if at all, will also define the type of cruising i will end up doing.

I listen to everyone here, so i decided i will give my best to the motor, to at least get it running if its not a complete rebuild (which is seems its not).

I will be anyways be using the motor as little as possible. And if i find out i can sail unassisted, then i will eventually ditch it, and use the outboard.

I guess at the end, it all will be down to making experience and taking new decisions based on those experiences. So far, this forums are proving very prolific and i m benefitting from other peoples experiences.

Im really eager to see how this summer goes!
Caminantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 12:10   #48

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermia II View Post
I'm sorry, but the best with a good sailboat is a good motor. You may be able to use a small outboard moving your boat, maybe in the conditions we saw on video above.
But when you really need your motor, you are on a lee shore, the waves are steep and an outboard propeller is in the water maybe half the time. It is not safe using a small outboard on a 5 ton boat.
You seem to have a very negative mindset about your engine, maybe to convince yourself choosing the easiest option, but there is a very simple best option which would even provide some cash for you.
Sell your outboard. Use a fraction of the money to sort your excellent Buck-engine out, and have some cash to spare.
The Buck will give you twice the power, several times the torque, much cheaper to run, more reliable, and a much larger prop which is in the water all the time. Make sure to clean the prop from barnacles.
Sometimes you have to learn to think just a bit ahead when you have an outboard possibly.

And it helps if you have a few years sailing on boats without engines which is how I learned then sailed for my first 15 years sailing

Folks are always bringing these dreaded lee shores. The answer to that is to avoid them.

I've dealt with lee shores before with my 5 hp outboard on my 6600 lb Bristol 27 that does not point well.

Several times I was at anchor and stayed that way until the wind decreased.

One of those times, I sailed away from the lee shore but my destination was directly into the wind so after a mile or so I came back and anchored behind some cover (sunk ships)

Another time I sailed along the shore and finally got passed the end of the peninsula and after 10 miles was able to take and head home.

Even 18 year old Tania Aebi sailed most of the way around the world with a diesel she couldn't keep running on a boat (Contessa 26) that cannot point well at all. Same with James Baldwin (no engine or outboard only) Also less known Sean D'Epagnier (sculling oar)
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 12:14   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermia II View Post
The Buck will give you twice the power, several times the torque, much cheaper to run, more reliable, and a much larger prop which is in the water all the time. Make sure to clean the prop from barnacles.j

Cant sell the outboard. It was a present from a good friend who died shortly after giving me that motor. Now he travels with me in the form of that motor. Thats motor wont be sold.

But i will put my energy on learning and fixing the bukh. Give it a try. I m sure its worth the effort, even if later i realize i dont need it for my type of cruising.

I can always ditch it afterwards, and i learned first to care for a diesel in the process. Not bad. I like the challenge. To get to know something i feel aversion to, and maybe realize it was just a prejudice on my part.
Old 27-05-2021, 12:26   #50

Another problem with old diesels is that they usually leak and smell.

I had a lot of trouble with that when I did finally buy this sailboat that had an engine.

That and the vibration when the thing was running.
Old 27-05-2021, 12:42   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Sometimes you have to learn to think just a bit ahead when you have an outboard possibly.

And it helps if you have a few years sailing on boats without engines which is how I learned then sailed for my first 15 years sailing

Folks are always bringing these dreaded lee shores. The answer to that is to avoid them.

I've dealt with lee shores before with my 5 hp outboard on my 6600 lb Bristol 27 that does not point well.

Several times I was at anchor and stayed that way until the wind decreased.

One of those times, I sailed away from the lee shore but my destination was directly into the wind so after a mile or so I came back and anchored behind some cover (sunk ships)

Another time I sailed along the shore and finally got passed the end of the peninsula and after 10 miles was able to take and head home.

Even 18 year old Tania Aebi sailed most of the way around the world with a diesel she couldn't keep running on a boat (Contessa 26) that cannot point well at all. Same with James Baldwin (no engine or outboard only) Also less known Sean D'Epagnier (sculling oar)
One thing i respect from this approach of yours, is how by purposely going out there with less mechanical advantage, you force yourself to develope this kind of previsory vision. I guess you put also more enfasis on your ground tackle, and develope other creative strategies to handle the boat the way you configurated it.

Im very attracted to this approach for a variety of reasons, and also for a personal feeling that is beyond reason.

On the other hand, i didnt spent years sailing engineless, and being an autodidact, im aware of my limitations. My confidence is yet developing.

I dont know if i will be sailing engineless one day. I can see myself going the outboard way at some point, when i feel confident enough with my skillset and my vision.

I do have two friends who did some preety amazing stuff with their boats, and that where the people who inspired me to get a boat and go sailing in the first place.

One is Alberto Torroba, whom i see as the ultimate pure sailor. An amazing person too.

The other is Kris Larsen, a very kind and sensitive man that made a good deal of engineless sailing for the best part of his life. A great artist and traveler, too.

These guys have their very particular way to approach sailing, and life in general. Very authentic, each their own way.

I find inspiration in their stories and whereabouts, and the message i get from them is to be in tune with my feeling so that i can find the way that suits me better.

These forums also provide me with very valuable insights on different ways of going about sailing.

None of us is self made really, we get so much imput from others all the time, that i feel we are too, sort of waves travelling out there in the inmensity of the ocean, getting influenced and influencing others all the time... ultimately creating this beautiful ocean of being.
Old 27-05-2021, 12:48   #52

sell the new outboard and fix the diesel engine
c.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 12:50   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Another problem with old diesels is that they usually leak and smell.

I had a lot of trouble with that when I did finally buy this sailboat that had an engine.

That and the vibration when the thing was running.
I share that with you. The things i dont enjoy while sailing: the sound of motors, their smell, and their vibration.

But i cant deny that a good maintained diesel inboard is ultimately, a safety device.

Then, all the other times that is running while im on the water, its a very annoying presence.

Ultimately, we have to draw a line at some point.

How we want to live, and possibly die too.

We have to make our minds, and live and die by our laws.
Old 27-05-2021, 12:59   #54

If you have the tools and the ability to remove, you have the ability to repair. Just saying.
TravelinLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 13:51   #55

Boat: 73ŽULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JebLostInSpace View Post

That said, sailors have been cruising the world's oceans without engines for centuries. It can clearly be done with some skill and care.
Skill is the important word here!
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 15:59   #56

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JebLostInSpace View Post
That said, sailors have been cruising the world's oceans without engines for centuries. It can clearly be done with some skill and care.
And how many thousands of sailors died when forced onto lee shores with no engine to help them avoid disaster?
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 16:34   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
And how many thousands of sailors died when forced onto lee shores with no engine to help them avoid disaster?
That happened lots of times in the old days before you could by a $35 Raspberry Pi Computer with attached $15 GPS and free downloaded OpenCPN Charts so you could see ahead several hundred or several thousand miles.

In this way these days, we can plan ahead.

We may be using old technology to move our boats (sails) but we can load them up with the best electronics so we can see far ahead and have accurate weather reports
Old 27-05-2021, 22:42   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinLight View Post
If you have the tools and the ability to remove, you have the ability to repair. Just saying.
You are right, im very handy and build/rebuild stuff all the time. Its more that i dislike the idea of the motor inside the boat. And of course, the fact that i never dealt with electrics and diesel before. But you guys got me convinced to give it a try since the motor is already there, why not?
Old 28-05-2021, 01:24   #59

Boat: Swan 57

Good decision! It's really worth giving it an extra try. For many of us, the diesel is a very good and reliable friend. Sure you can avoid getting into trouble with less, but you will feel safer, have more options and considerably better economy motoring long distances (and maybe have some hot water for a shower on top of it).
On the topic of lees shores, sure you can avoid them, but then you also have to avoid the most wonderful archipelagoes where your options in terms of currents and sea room are much more limited.
Walk the extra mile, you won't regret it.
Hermia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 17:45   #60

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

I would try to crank the diesel and see what happens. You only need a screwdriver to short the battery positive terminal on the starter to the solenoid terminal from the key switch. It might come to life!! The terminals should not be more than 2 cm apart.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine