Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2023, 10:17   #1

Boat: 2001 Catalina 390
DIY Bimini Top Question

I need to replace the bimini top on a Catalina 390. To save money, I was thinking of a DIY solution placing grommets all the way around sunbrella and fastening the fabric to the frame with rope. I've seen these on T-Top power boats but never on a sailboat which makes me think maybe it's not a great solution. I woud appreciate your opinions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230127_170416410.MP~2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	437.7 KB
ID:	270634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture3.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	270635  

D Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 10:30   #2

Boat: Moody 376
Re: DIY Bimini Top Question

if you have the old bimini use it as a pattern for your new one...

the grommet and rope works well on the T top since ts a solid hoop. you can put tension in the rope to make it tight.

a folding bimini like what you have on a sail boat , doubtful it would work. Possible. you could always try it with a cheap piece of blue tarp before you spend any money on canvas
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 10:38   #3

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Best bet for DIY is to get a kit from Sailrite, that is what we did on our Bristol, the kit comes with everything you need outside of the sewing machine, they supply step by step instructions on their YouTube channel, if we can do it, you certainly can, :thumb

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 10:39   #4

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

IMO as well as others. Do NOT use your old bimini as a pattern. You will save yourself a lot of work and get a much better fit if you make a pattern to work from. The old bimini will have stretched and/or shrank over time.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 18:11   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

Grommets and lashing might work, but it could be an expensive experiment. Note that the T-tops on skiffs are held up with framing on all 4 sides.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 20:11   #6

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

You might want to check Overtons and Boatcoversdirect for just the top. Measure yours. You'll be surprised how cheap they can be for just the cover itself depending on material.

Agree with others do not use the old one as a pattern.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 20:28   #7

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu Club View Post
Best bet for DIY is to get a kit from Sailrite, that is what we did on our Bristol, the kit comes with everything you need outside of the sewing machine, they supply step by step instructions on their YouTube channel, if we can do it, you certainly can, :thumb

Fair winds,
x2

I used the Sailrite kit. The instructions are very complete, and it includes everything you need to make patterns as well. I used a "Heavy Duty" home sewing machine. You don't even need the expensive Sailrite machine, although one would work better than what I used.

It was a lot of hours to make, and you need a large space to lay out the patterns and cut the cloth. However, I sewed it in my saloon. It is not a beginners kit, but if you know how to sew, it is very doable.
Old 28-01-2023, 12:11   #8

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

you definitely can do your own and yes save money

The savings will be more of a long game savings if you do not have a very good sewing machine, I went through 2 residential machines while researching the best “deal”. I ended up with a Salirite LZ, not because it’s the cheapest, it is not, I see their presence in the market of DIY they sat and behind their products. I have had this machine 4 years and have asked to do some really heavy work along the way.
I have DIY outfitted my vessel with sail cover, bimini, dodger, helm covers, cockpit cushions and salon cushion covers. Currently I am working on a foul weather enclosure to connect to the dodger and a raincover for the rib when we cruse.
I recommend not doing a trampoline style you see on power boats, they are sun covers, there is no water shedding so you could have a sunbrella Stretching pool up there after the first rain, and it will be up there every rain after it stretch’s, you need a bow in the design of the SS 316 tubing, the more the better.

I have used the sailrite kit for my “stack-pack”, I also added to it with modifications that I wanted. I have also used my old Bimini as a reference for placement of zippers and construction methods, but the sunbrella does stretch.

Some things you will need :a large flat area to layout, cut, and fabricate, and good lighting.
Thread seam rippers, a bbq lighter to melt the tread ends, a soap pencils, a hot knife to cut and sear the Sunbrella fabric, thread scissors and template material (I used tyvek).

Cheers
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2023, 14:37   #9

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

a totally different approach

https://www.cruisingworld.com/homemade-hardtop/
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2023, 02:12   #10

Boat: Top Hat mkIII - 25ft

My bimini fabric is a double layer of 90% dark gray shade cloth held in place with about 100 black cable ties pushed through the shade cloth which is stretched tight and wrapped around the existing tubular frame.
The bimini size is about 10 feet x 5 feet and I bought a 10 foot square shade sail that provided seams on all sides. Boat is 32 ft Beneteau Oceanis.
In use it provides completely satisfactory shade from the Australian sun and rain protection is fine.
First attempt used beige colour shade cloth from a hardware store. Second model was dark gray from a supermarket with a 25% cost saving and better looking.
Close up I admit the appearance is pretty average but I claim the prize for best value bimini.
Good luck to all owner builders.
lauriel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini, DIY