Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2020, 09:21   #121
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Do I need a radar reflector?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
IINM, those transponders only retransmit in X-band. Out in the open oggin ships frequently use S-band only; so that would be an instance.
You can buy only x band, or of course for more money it will cover both x and s.
I believe it’s also a Radar detector, meaning it has an LED that will light telling you your being illuminated by Radar, and I believe will tell you if it’s X or S band.
I have no familiarity with the product, never even seen one, only the advertising.

https://www.echomax.co.uk/radar-targ...dual-band.html

I don’t have one, but have considered it, but I don’t believe the need is there for me, I’ve only sailed (Motored actually) a couple of days in five years in fog, and even then only for a few hours before it burned off.
Fog requires wind to form, but down here it usually only occurs in very light wind.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:04   #122

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
I think you misunderstood. I'm not talking about a RADAR responder (that retransmits), I'm saying that a better option is AIS, which transmits on VHF.

AIS doesn't help YOU see anyone (unless they are transmitting), but I think it's a better option for THEM to see you. Even fishing boats or Navy ships that aren't transmitting AIS probably are receiving AIS.
Sorry misread it. In theory, AIS is the better option, but IME is not all it's cracked up to be. Firstly it's very sensitive to antenna placement, Class B has a woefully slow update rate, and it's exceedingly sensitive to user error - not just in the user-adjustable inputs, but in how it's interfaced on the bridge, alarms set up/silenced, etc.
That said, I have AIS and highly recommend it, but it isn't one or the other - no reason to not have both.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:12   #123

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You can buy only x band, or of course for more money it will cover both x and s.
I believe it’s also a Radar detector, meaning it has an LED that will light telling you your being illuminated by Radar, and I believe will tell you if it’s X or S band.
I have no familiarity with the product, never even seen one, only the advertising.

https://www.echomax.co.uk/radar-targ...dual-band.html
I stand corrected. Hopefully the price will come down - I would also consider getting one.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:12   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Class B update rate is speed dependent, if your moving less than 2 kts it’s ever 2 min, more than 2 kts, it’s every 30 sec.
Now don’t know about you but I don’t move far In 30 sec. about 300 ft at 6 kts?
Sounds high?
https://www.calculateme.com/speed/kn...et-per-second/
Old 07-05-2020, 11:15   #125
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
I stand corrected. Hopefully the price will come down - I would also consider getting one.

At some point you begin to question all these things you “need” to have to go cruising, after a couple of years I am at that point, I have become to question the real need, of these must have things.
Old 09-05-2020, 15:35   #126

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

The ability of a Radar Reflector to function is minimal. 36 years of using radars on tugs told me that. When I asked the question of several good radar technicians they said a radar paints on dense mass. It really needs something to bounce off. Something dense. Thats why big steel vessels made of steel paint best period. The guy that said he saw fishing gear at 2 miles should consider w2 things. 1. Sea clutter in which case if he did see those in calm water instead of a Seagul which has about the same possibility to paint he would not. 2. If that small radar Deflector was making 6 or 8 kts. and you were doing the same on a collision course in sea clutter the amount of time you would have to react to a target you might well have missed unless you were only looking at the radar screen. The answer is not enough time to avoid a collision. Get an Active Radar that I presume works like Racon Buoys if you sail in high traffic and foggy areas, get an active AIS and keep a very vigilant watch. Stop BSing yourself thinking that stupid little bit of aluminum is going to save you....It Aint!!!!!
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar