Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2024, 05:13   #16

Boat: Hunter 340
Re: Does anyone make new small (<30 ft) small sailing yachts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Catalina is, I believe, the all time largest manufacturer of sailing boats in the USA, with many thousands of hulls launched. Hunter and Tartan have also built a lot of boats, so no, mostly from the larger companies.

Jim
The question was about companies currently making new <30 ft yachts. Hunter isn't making anything and Tartan doesn't make any <30 ft boats with accommodations. Yeah Catalina is a larger producer but most of the companies named are smaller producers. Pretty cool list some of them are by companies I have never heard of. I like that Marshall Catboat.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 12:25   #17

Boat: Tartan T4400

Statistical Tartan does make the Fantail in a "weekender" option that has a berth, head and 12 volt cooler. It is minimal but I don believe you will find many under30 foot boats with great accomdations most are just above tent camping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
The question was about companies currently making new <30 ft yachts. Hunter isn't making anything and Tartan doesn't make any <30 ft boats with accommodations. Yeah Catalina is a larger producer but most of the companies named are smaller producers. Pretty cool list some of them are by companies I have never heard of. I like that Marshall Catboat.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:07   #18

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I understand your friends reluctance to wade though all the “used” 20-30 somethings that line the boat yards, most in the twilight of serviceable life.

Safier would get a really good look from me if I were to down size, I have only given this company a “on-line” look but I do like what I see.

https://saffieryachts.com/
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 06:51   #19

Boat: Catalina 30

If he is serious about buying a new sailboat he should look at Catalina 315. Yes it is over 30 but barely. After looking at what the 315 offers in a cruiser and the price, then he will get an idea whether this is pure fanatasy or something to really pursue.
jerryf609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 07:35   #20

Boat: beneteau First 26 QR (now sold)

Check also the RM890+. RM Yachts are really great sailboats...

https://www.rm-yachts.com/en/rm-890-30-foot-sailboat/

JM
BuenaOnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 10:23   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryf609 View Post
If he is serious about buying a new sailboat he should look at Catalina 315. Yes it is over 30 but barely. After looking at what the 315 offers in a cruiser and the price, then he will get an idea whether this is pure fanatasy or something to really pursue.

That is a good idea. It is easily accessible and he can likely find slightly used ones as a comparison. I get the feeling of wanting to not deal with used boats problems but honestly new boats have their own sets of problems too and the pricetag.
Old 08-07-2024, 13:59   #22

Boat: 1984 Rhodes 22

I can personally recommend the Rhodes 22 Continental. Designed by famed small-boat designer Phillip Rhodes, it's been in production since the mid-1960s, and since the mid-1980s has been manufactured by General Boats in Edenton NC. They sell new and reconditioned models.

Ours is an older reconditioned one, the new ones have better things, but ours has a small head, a small sink, a one burner stove, and built-in ice-block type fridge. It has in-mast furling main and ours has a furling 170 genoa - maybe not the fastest sailplan but it's really easy to balance the sails. The triangular metal centerboard swings up inside the stub keel, draft 4' with it down, 2' with it up - makes it perfect for knocking around the upper Chesapeake. The large cockpit is handy - when we tie up with friends larger boats, we usually do crackers and cheese in our cockpit because we have more room than some of the bigger sailboats.
It has positive flotation and is self-righting, so it's a very safe boat, and we can get underway in ten minutes. Has a pop-top cabin roof, so you can walk around in the cabin when not sailing, and a tent-like thing that snaps over the whole cabin for privacy in a marina.

Not the right boat for the southern ocean, and maybe too small for his intentions, but if he wants to putter around the east coast, it's pretty appealing.

Sailboat data here: https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/rh...2-continental/

owners group here: The Rhodes 22 Owners' Group

Practical Sailor article: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...5&opi=89978449

and manufacturer here: WELCOME ON BOARD general boats? trailing / cruising / daysailing rhodes 22
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	121256602_10218001146366180_8535293966429921794_n.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	291853  
edexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 14:03   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by edexter View Post
I can personally recommend the Rhodes 22 Continental. Designed by famed small-boat designer Phillip Rhodes, it's been in production since the mid-1960s, and since the mid-1980s has been manufactured by General Boats in Edenton NC. They sell new and reconditioned models.

Ours is an older reconditioned one, the new ones have better things, but ours has a small head, a small sink, a one burner stove, and built-in ice-block type fridge. It has in-mast furling main and ours has a furling 170 genoa - maybe not the fastest sailplan but it's really easy to balance the sails. The triangular metal centerboard swings up inside the stub keel, draft 4' with it down, 2' with it up - makes it perfect for knocking around the upper Chesapeake. The large cockpit is handy - when we tie up with friends larger boats, we usually do crackers and cheese in our cockpit because we have more room than some of the bigger sailboats.
It has positive flotation and is self-righting, so it's a very safe boat, and we can get underway in ten minutes. Has a pop-top cabin roof, so you can walk around in the cabin when not sailing, and a tent-like thing that snaps over the whole cabin for privacy in a marina.

Not the right boat for the southern ocean, and maybe too small for his intentions, but if he wants to putter around the east coast, it's pretty appealing.

Sailboat data here: https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/rh...2-continental/

owners group here: The Rhodes 22 Owners' Group

Practical Sailor article: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...5&opi=89978449

and manufacturer here: WELCOME ON BOARD general boats? trailing / cruising / daysailing rhodes 22
Nice one. That is more accomodation that I would have expected possible in 22 feet.
Old 08-07-2024, 14:07   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
That is a good idea. It is easily accessible and he can likely find slightly used ones as a comparison. I get the feeling of wanting to not deal with used boats problems but honestly new boats have their own sets of problems too and the pricetag.
I have a 2001 Catalina 30 MK III. My “used boat problems” are nothing compared to the new boat problems I have seen. My boat has had good owners who kept good records and have done maintenance, yes.
I don’t understand the fixation with only less than 30’ feet and with only new.
Setbud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing, yacht