Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2015, 10:13   #181
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Does it really matter which damn sailboat you pick to go down the west coast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Contrary to popular opinion, you did not learn to wave your Willy from me.
Its too heavy to wave......
Must be an American thing............

Now thats how to wave yer willy in print.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:16   #182
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Does it really matter which damn sailboat you pick to go down the west coast?

CF is like any other members board. YOU have to wade through a lot of posts to find someone who is appreciated by more experienced sailors than us, and try their advice.

We do have some really professional sailors on here too. I even own their books.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:16   #183

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Willy-waving arm chair sailors...now that conjures up too many images this early in the morning.

Nice discussion from all who've contributed. It is always refreshing (and I mean that with absolutely no irony) to read online bantering that is neither banal nor smack downs of people with differing opinions. Everyone's experiences, biases, and even gender differences are part of what keeps this interesting for me and where I learn a lot, which is why I spend waay more time on these forums than any reasonable person would I hope we'll hear more from the OP on their thought process as they learn and buy a boat and eventually cruise. Every now and then, I go back to my original postings as a brand new sailor and boat owner. Makes me cringe, but everyone starts as a newbie, right? We sometimes tend to forget, and give little leeway to the newcomers, about how much there is to learn...and how it's really never ending!

As long as a little leeway doesn't spawn something ill advised. You can make a number of mistakes in life, the sea is not as forgiving.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:19   #184

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
What Capt Phil said. We came out here in Jun 2014 thinking we knew boats and knew how to sail so "Vanuatu here we come!" But nooooooo... that is not what was gonna happen and now I can say I'm glad.

First we got to know the boat (make that the present tense, it's still an ongoing lesson).

Then we looked up and saw the most beautiful area imaginable.

Then we look west and saw the Pacific, then we looked at the charts, then we sat down and re-evaluated.

A big part of this re-evaluation for me, was sitting down on CF and reading what you had to say. In the beginning I took everything at face value (and was very confused).

One part of the CF experience is me thinking "Holy crap, what is this thing hanging off the alternator, I don't even know what to call it?" and doing a search to help me name it, fix it, replace it, update it, whatever.

A secondary part of going on CF every day is to look at the philosophical discussions on the meaning of cruising, the choices involved, the characteristics that are pretty universal to everyone that is here on a regular basis. (The first time I saw posting #'s under someone's name up in the thousands I was amazed). For what it's worth there is a reverence for the sea and what can be seen from the deck of a boat that I've not found elsewhere. My original, mildly discouraging comments to the OP were based on reading it and never once seeing that love expressed. In a later posting they did and I thought "Well, then, that's OK, maybe they'll make it".

Just living on the edge of the Pacific has made me examine all my assumptions of skill and boat-worthiness all over again. As I write this, the boat is "sailing" at the dock in a 30-40 kt breeze. So, yes, I'm in transition from being an armchair sailor to being something else, something a bit more cautious and certainly more respectful. After years of sailing from Nova Scotia to the Keys I thought I knew, but heh, heh, heh....famous last words.
Very nice post. And yes: the West is different for sure, but of course a great place to learn. I cut my teeth in the West Coast of Scotland and the North and Norwegian seas… teaches a lot of respect and a lot of good practise. Unforgiving and unpredictable… but sail and dive up there (also the PNW etc.) and you can anywhere…

And please, do sail to Vanuatu. You have a great attitude and I hope to find myself alongside at anchor with you at Pentecost or similar one day. You will adore Vanuatu. Now you've tarried awhile… don't tarry too long!
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:22   #185
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

back to the OP's question - we know several couples who have done chile in 30' plywood boat - everything from a heavy golden hind (NZ) to a lite 'mini 30' (french). These have all been very lightly equipped by contemporary 'blue water' standards. They have all been young couples - you can do almost anything if you are young and willing to both learn and to suffer for most excellent experiences.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:42   #186

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Quote:
Contrary to popular opinion, you did not learn to wave your Willy from me.
Its too heavy to wave......
Must be an American thing............

Now thats how to wave yer willy in print.
Afraid we missed it the first time?
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:29   #187

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Afraid we missed it the first time?
It's no big deal

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 12-11-2015, 12:36   #188

Boat: Ker 33 IRC

am not saying that what the OP is suggesting can't be done. What i am saying is that the OP hasn't got the required skill set - sounds to me very much as though they've seen a boat sailing from PNW to Chile and thought "we can do that today" and then not put any thought into how to get whatever boat there.

i cut my teeth in the irish sea sailing around the cans dodging container ships and ferries but i've also done 6 transats too. i own a racing sled cos upto now prefered being able to go sailing and then come 6pm be sat in the bar of the yacht club discussing the speed of my sled in the warm and dry

i've done fastnet races and i've done the Faroe Islands (beautiful place) iceland (ridiculously cold and beautiful in the same breath) and back -- both of these require serious navigation skills that the OP just doesn't have - you gotta go to school to get an understanding of what it's all about.

i'm not gunna sit here and criticise anyone for having a "dream" and some ambition but i think that the way the OP is going about it is just a bit wrong is all

think that instead of investing 10k in a boat - they ought to be investing time / effort and money in decent coaching and find a boat that suits also if they stick close to home for the first year then they'll get an understanding of how the boat behaves in whatever nature throws at them - it's not all G&T's - sometimes it's a salty G&T and then there's stuff that will break and will go wrong and if they're closer to home then it'll be really easy to just "get off" and go back to what was.

i live on my boat with no creature comforts cos it's a damn sight cheaper than trying to find funds to rent or buy a place when i got a boat sat in a marina here - just seemed a bit nuts paying twice.

JMO
ruby tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:45   #189
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
It's no big deal

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Talking of waving things.......... are you leaving the boat in Florida this winter?
Old 12-11-2015, 13:26   #190

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Talking of waving things.......... are you leaving the boat in Florida this winter?
Hope to get to Bahama at least, but I have to do some condo renos first. I should be there in about a month.
Old 12-11-2015, 13:40   #191
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Hope to get to Bahama at least, but I have to do some condo renos first. I should be there in about a month.
woo hoo! A nice sail and offshore vacation.

Old 12-11-2015, 13:47   #192

I have a 1980 33' hunter for less than a 10k. It is in Massachusetts we had sailed it all over New England. Love the boat going bigger to live on. Let me know if interested.
sjaversa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 14:37   #193

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Mike and Michelle, I've been following this thread for a couple of days and can't help but put in my two cents worth...
You live in some of the most amazing cruising grounds on the planet. Spend some time actually sailing [motoring] on someones boat even if you have to pay for it, and do it enough to discover if you are affected on the deepest level by the experience. If not, do the motorcycle trip...I bought an old Harley in the early '70's travelled the US and set the foundation for the rest of my life. If you love the water, buy a boat you like...doesn't matter if it is "the one"; having a deep affection for your boat is important. It is your home, your friend, your teacher. As your plan matures with experience, you will know if it is the right boat for your needs. Common sense, experience, learning seamanship; these are the things that will give you confidence and keep you safe. You guys seem aware enough to ask the question in the first place, so I imagine you are aware enough to let your plan develop in a way that will build your knowledge and confidence.
Above all, do not let anyone convince you that learning to sail here in the PNW is dangerous if you are always AWARE of where you are and stay on top of the weather forecasts. Like that Scottsman [muckle plucker? :]] said: learn to sail here and you can go anywhere!
Good luck to you, and it would be cool to hear what you decided...
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 15:37   #194

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Thumbs up Re: Does it really matter which damn sailboat you pick to go down the west coast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
Mike and Michelle, I've been following this thread for a couple of days and can't help but put in my two cents worth...
You live in some of the most amazing cruising grounds on the planet. Spend some time actually sailing [motoring] on someones boat even if you have to pay for it, and do it enough to discover if you are affected on the deepest level by the experience. If not, do the motorcycle trip...I bought an old Harley in the early '70's travelled the US and set the foundation for the rest of my life. If you love the water, buy a boat you like...doesn't matter if it is "the one"; having a deep affection for your boat is important. It is your home, your friend, your teacher. As your plan matures with experience, you will know if it is the right boat for your needs. Common sense, experience, learning seamanship; these are the things that will give you confidence and keep you safe. You guys seem aware enough to ask the question in the first place, so I imagine you are aware enough to let your plan develop in a way that will build your knowledge and confidence.
Above all, do not let anyone convince you that learning to sail here in the PNW is dangerous if you are always AWARE of where you are and stay on top of the weather forecasts. Like that Scottsman [muckle plucker? :]] said: learn to sail here and you can go anywhere!
Good luck to you, and it would be cool to hear what you decided...
Said it far better than I could, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 22:55   #195

I think I'd recommend a Jet Ski and a small lake. Don't forget.... He mentioned Chile.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Mike R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat, west coast