Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2008, 14:25   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Does W. Marine Honor Misprices items

Hi all;

I placed an catalog order over the phone last month with West Marine. The new Catalog came, with a very attactive price on an item, $279.00, when it lists at $499. This was an item that is new to the marketplace.

The guy who took the order, which I paid for from a gift card, said it was on backorder until May, and that they had many orders already.

I have since gotten a card stating that it is still on B.O. No other communication, other than the original confirmation by mail.

The item is now on the web for $499, and showing it on B.O.

Do you think WM will send me the unit at the price I paid?

Thanks,
Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 14:57   #2

Boat: Endeavour E40
What's the WM "Item number"?

Your original order should have the discounted price with the order, so they will absolutely ship at that price!
What is it, that's a great discount!
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 15:57   #3

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
If you paid for it in full they won't charge you extra for it. If all else fails complain to corporate, they will pretty much do anything if you bitch loud enough.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 16:15   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
To quote the catalog
"Prices shown are in USD and subject to change. We regret, but cannot be liable to errors in copy or photography..."
This is a typical policy of any retailer and something with which most people are well familiar.
You indicate you were aware of the actual list price when placing the order so it sounds like you should be charged the legitimate price.

If the tables were turned, you'd probably not want to be held responsible for an error made in publishing your catalog.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 16:34   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Perhaps, but..

I knew what the MSRP for the item was, but not if they had come up with a reat deal on it with the manufacturer, which could have been the case. WM had never carried it before, so I did not know what they would price it at.

The item is a new direction for the manfacturer, so I thought that perhaps, they were trying to gain marketshare.

If the tables were turned, I would honor the price, if I was a large corporation dealing with a valuable customer. If I were a small retailer, I would view it differently.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
To quote the catalog
"Prices shown are in USD and subject to change. We regret, but cannot be liable to errors in copy or photography..."
This is a typical policy of any retailer and something with which most people are well familiar.
You indicate you were aware of the actual list price when placing the order so it sounds like you should be charged the legitimate price.

If the tables were turned, you'd probably not want to be held responsible for an error made in publishing your catalog.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 17:48   #6
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
If they wrote it up (you did get an email confirmation didn't you?) then they will honor it.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 20:12   #7
GreatKetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
If the tables were turned, I would honor the price, if I was a large corporation dealing with a valuable customer. If I were a small retailer, I would view it differently.
Why on earth should there be a difference? How big would your store have to be before you felt you should take the monetary bullet for the customer?
Old 29-03-2008, 21:18   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
To quote the catalog
Pretty plain and simple I think. But it's no point in asking here. You should be contacting them.
You should not have anything charged against your card yet. That is illegal in most countries, I could only assume the same for the US. The card cannot be charged untill the goods are available.
So I suggest you contact them, confirm the price and if it is more expensive, cancel the order before your card is charged.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote