Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2022, 15:05   #46
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Dorades?

[QUOTE=KayZee;3692842]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
The name of the boat is Dorade (Dor'-aid)

Dorade's revolutionary ventilators are called "Dorades"

Now if only we knew why the esteemed O. Stephens called the boat Dorade.

Based on my reading about the french name for bream and the history presented here for the race yacht, I feel good going with Door-aid.

I agree with Door-raid myself I think it’s Irrelevant

My own view is such ventilators need down flooding projection given the size of the pipe opening.

Hence the method i once had of the disk on a threaded bar , suspended above the coach roof pipe that could be screwed down to create a seal was a very good additional to the vent design.
Old 15-10-2022, 15:50   #47

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Hence the method i once had of the disk on a threaded bar , suspended above the coach roof pipe that could be screwed down to create a seal was a very good additional to the vent design.

Yes they still make something similar, a mushroom vent.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2022, 17:24   #48

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayZee View Post

Now if only we knew why the esteemed O. Stephens called the boat Dorade.

Based on my reading about the french name for bream and the history presented here for the race yacht, I feel good going with Door-aid.

Olin Stephens's reason(s) for the name are likely lost in time.

But it matters little.

The English common name of the sea bream Sparus aurata, and the older English common name (dorado, from about 1604) of the dolphin fish Coryphæna hippuris, both reference the same French word from about 1525: dorade or daurade.

And the big clues are in the species name of the sea bream - aurata - and the chemical symbol for the element gold: Au.

French 1525 dorade or daurade translate as 'golden, gilded'. That is from Latin deauratus, past participle of Latin deaurare, to gild, to make golden

You can deconstruct Latin deauratus into: Latin de-, a prefix that turns a noun into a verb; and Latin aurum, gold.
Old 15-10-2022, 19:55   #49

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattdewizard View Post
? How about this scenerio. Your boat capsizes, you and 6 crewmen are trapped in the watertight pilot house. There was one person on deck during capsize. They were wearing a survival suit with integrated life vest, epirb attached, and your vessel is equiped with a float free life raft. Would you open the companionway door letting in the cold ocean water to help that person, jeopardizing the lives of others or not?
If you really believe you have a boat that will actually stay inverted, you'll probably want to build in an escape hatch in the hull. Opening a watertight companionway hatch that is submerged sounds unrealistic, and then having that crewmember outside dive down, while wearing a survival suit, and life vest, to find his/her way into the submerged companionway sounds even more unrealistic. And why would they? Personally I'd rather be the one wearing the survival suit, in the liferaft with the EPIRB.

Really, if you want an expedition yacht, there are some good examples out there to explore. And as you gain experience your own preferences for your own expedition yacht will evolve.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2022, 13:12   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattdewizard View Post
I'm sure I will have many more questions and worries once I learn how to sail and captain a vessel. For now I'm focusing on the engineering aspect. I really like the idea of a pilot house because hopefully no one will be on deck in the unlikely event of a capsize. If they are then hopefully the float free life raft has been serviced regularly. If not playing gin rummy what would you be doing in your capsized boat? Can't tell what hull shape that is from picture.
try not to major in the minors. if you can't skipper a vessel you don't have to worry about capsizing. if you can't reef a main you can't skipper the vessel. if you don't have a vessel you can't capsize.

I see you're in Alamo, this would be perfect for you! https://berkeleyyc.org/racing/how-to-be-crew/
off-piste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2022, 07:32   #51

Simple and quick. Cram something in them. The best is a plastic bag stuffed with cloth, ( a hand towel, a shirt. You get it). And cram it in the hole. It works and stops almost all significant water. It you don’t have a bag handy just cram some cloth in there. It works, it’s free and it’s fast.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2022, 08:05   #52

Boat: Hinckley, Sou'wester 42, 42 feet

Mine have a plate that replaces the Dorade (which is then stowed below). I neglected this on a transatlantic, was knocked down and the crew below reported water ingress "like a fire hose." Lesson learned.
Godshalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2022, 08:12   #53

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua

We just finished our first Atlantic crossing, west to east. At some point in our preparation, we realized that we needed to prioritize our fears and the steps we needed to take to mitigate them. There is just too much to do to focus on very low risk items. There are more than enough high risk things to worry about. In the end, we missed mousing two shackles, and the Ocean managed to “remind” us about those after two violent storms. After fixing the few things that broke after the shakedown period, the boat was solid.
Old 21-10-2022, 08:26   #54
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

You can get expanding rubber drain plugs in a variety of sizes.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C69F9ZZ...XYZQFKPT44B5C0
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2022, 08:46   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Na Mara View Post
My kind of racer!
Love it!
kindrunnermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2022, 09:23   #56

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrydolphin View Post
Simple and quick. Cram something in them. The best is a plastic bag stuffed with cloth, ( a hand towel, a shirt. You get it). And cram it in the hole. It works and stops almost all significant water. It you don’t have a bag handy just cram some cloth in there. It works, it’s free and it’s fast.
Of course, dorades need to have drain holes so that the water that gets in the 'scoop' can drain out. We have caps that can replace the scoops, but in an inversion scenario, the water pressure would still force a considerable amount of water into the boat. However, I think the chances of a knockdown are very low in my boat. We hove-to twice in storms, when crossing the Atlantic, and the deck was practically dry.
Old 21-10-2022, 10:18   #57
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

https://www.plastimo.com/en/boite-do...-dry-9882.html

nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2022, 16:54   #58

Boat: Still building

Quote:
Originally Posted by Na Mara View Post
Boats rarely capsize for no reason. Usually you will have plenty of warning of impending conditions sever enough to cause a capsize. Its then relatively easy to seal the dorades from the outside as a precaution. Mine can be replaced by screw caps and the drainage holes sealed with some quickly applied sealant, but even large amounts of gorilla tape will do in a pinch. Your not looking for complete watertightness, just a sufficient reduction of inflow in the case of inversion to keep the boat afloat long enough for it to self-right or for help to arrive. There are lots of ways of achieving that.

The 'conventional wisdom' is to extend the tube coming thru the deckherad to near sole level, so that in the event of a prolonged inversion, the outlet will be 'above' the new waterline.

Similar notion to the waste pipe from the vacuflush having an S-bend above the bowl (in normal right way up orientation) so that outside water does not 'backflush' and sink the boat.

The other issue I have not seen an answer to is the 'composting toilet contents' in the event of an inversion. None of the 'composting toilets' or their DIY simalcrums I've yet seen has any srot of catch or closure or fastener to keep the lid closed andd sealed to rpevnet the entire contents dumping into the cabin, and onto the deckhead (now keel)....

It's worth contemplating, I reckon....
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2022, 17:15   #59

I had an H28 with bronze deck plates on the inside where you could screw in the lid. Totally water tight. Otherwise I've stuffed towels in vents but mostly for spray that could get by the baffles.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2022, 18:06   #60

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

As I remember it the original design of the Dorades was that the intake tube ur pipe took the air int the bilges below the cabin sole ,so inverted the end if the inlet was still above the water ,the original idea is often the best .⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote