Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2024, 11:21   #136

Re: Down to 4 Boats...Please Help Me Decide...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquina View Post
This is a Baba 35:

These are pretty, but all that wood is a lot to keep up and if the teak decks have started to go bad, that is likely in the $25,000 and up range to fix. Be VERY careful of any boat with teak decks.
Great advice! I've heard they're quite uncomfortable on bare feet in the hot sun as well.
Wild_At_Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 12:17   #137

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I think you have made a step in the right direction with this change. A quibble, though: NONE of those boats that you have listed would meet my definition of a "racer/cruiser". They are all on the stodgy cruiser end of the spectrum. Does not make them bad or bad for you, just that their performance may not be what you are thinking it is!

And I agree whole heartedly with the "no teak decks" advice... pretty but IMO not worth the weight, maintenance or replacement cost.

Good luck with the search!

Jim
Old 05-03-2024, 12:51   #138

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Plus, in the tropics, teak is very hot on bare feet. It invites more heat into the boat, too.

Wild At Heart, I would second Coquina's suggestion to buy a small boat to sail the heck out of. You will be best off with the smallest boat that will satisfy you. Everything IS less expensive, for one. Also, the smaller boats will bring you along as a sailor better. They will assist in developing your sensitivity to the signs that presage weather changes. If you can get your sea legs in a smaller boat, you'll not have trouble if you decide to buy a bigger one and continue on. Not everyone is suited either for cruising nor for singlehanding.

Ann
somewhere over 175,000 sea miles
Old 05-03-2024, 13:49   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I think you have made a step in the right direction with this change. A quibble, though: NONE of those boats that you have listed would meet my definition of a "racer/cruiser". They are all on the stodgy cruiser end of the spectrum. Does not make them bad or bad for you, just that their performance may not be what you are thinking it is!

And I agree whole heartedly with the "no teak decks" advice... pretty but IMO not worth the weight, maintenance or replacement cost.

Good luck with the search!

Jim
Hahaha. Thanks. Yeah, mostly true overall. This is about as close as you're gonna get at 33-35ft in length.
Old 05-03-2024, 13:52   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Plus, in the tropics, teak is very hot on bare feet. It invites more heat into the boat, too.

Wild At Heart, I would second Coquina's suggestion to buy a small boat to sail the heck out of. You will be best off with the smallest boat that will satisfy you. Everything IS less expensive, for one. Also, the smaller boats will bring you along as a sailor better. They will assist in developing your sensitivity to the signs that presage weather changes. If you can get your sea legs in a smaller boat, you'll not have trouble if you decide to buy a bigger one and continue on. Not everyone is suited either for cruising nor for singlehanding.

Ann
somewhere over 175,000 sea miles
Sage advice for most. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2024, 09:51   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_At_Heart View Post
Hahaha. Thanks. Yeah, mostly true overall. This is about as close as you're gonna get at 33-35ft in length.
My 35 foot boat is faster to a lot faster than the boats you listed, but speed is not necessarily what you want. Forgiving and easy to steer will be more important for your use.
*we managed 345 miles in 48 hours in a storm, but that was a LOT of work, it would not likely have been doable with a small crew or alone.

Here you go - easy to handle boat and not a bad price:
https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee...721450852.html
Coquina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 10:44   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquina View Post
My 35 foot boat is faster to a lot faster than the boats you listed, but speed is not necessarily what you want. Forgiving and easy to steer will be more important for your use.
*we managed 345 miles in 48 hours in a storm, but that was a LOT of work, it would not likely have been doable with a small crew or alone.

Here you go - easy to handle boat and not a bad price:
https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee...721450852.html
Looking for a good balance between speed (PHRF under 165) and stability (Comfort Ratio over 30). I love the Cape Dory, but they're too slow.

I've settled on the four below...

Nicholson 35-1
Heritage/Intrepid 35
Bristol 35-5
Creekmore 34

If anyone knows someone that has one at a decent price, I'm ready to buy.
Old 30-05-2024, 19:09   #143

Boat: Boat

"bluewater ketch gunkholer"

Can you elaborate on that use case a bit?

The Nicholson 35 is a fine bluewater cruiser, maybe one of the best 35' ones ever made. But in no way would I classify it as a "gunkholer". On the other hand a Bristol 35.5C with it's sub 4 foot draft board up is a fine gunkholer but is a worse choice for ocean crossing than the Nichoslon.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 19:52   #144
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: SailTime/Beneteau Oceanis 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_At_Heart View Post
Only sailing experience is through classes, but I'm confident I can handle skippering. I'm a natural at it thus far. I've found my talent.

Progressive has already quoted me $3300 a year for full coverage ($70,000 in insured value). $300 a year for liability only.
Not wanting to throw a bucket of cold water on your 40 ft boat desire, but have you read the thread below already? That quote might just be a mirage, the actual result might be a "no" given the lack of previous boat ownership.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...nd-283257.html

I see you've already found out that insurance in Florida for a 42 is impossible for you.

This might support what you've been hearing from the experienced folk here: get a much smaller boat and sail the heck out of it first. Might help you get insurance on a bigger boat later as well.
flpaoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 06:10   #145

Progressive recently upped their old boat coverage limit to 75k. If you don't need hull coverage beyond that or navigation limits beyond the east coast and Bahamas, Progressive is the way to go. They are cheaper, don't require a survey and likely don't care about your prior ownership history. Policies issued by non-maritime carriers such as Progressive are also likely more favorable to the insured in the event you need to make a claim. Maritime insurers typically have a clause stating that the policy will be interpreted under federal admiralty law, which is vicious and allows insurers to deny claims because of maintenance issues unrelated to the claim. Progressive, Boat US, etc. are going to be bound by the state the policy was issued in--typically much better for the boat owner.

Until last year, I had a 1969 41' insured with Progressive for their policy limit. I think it was $2200 annually. I tried to insure my "new" boat with Progressive (a 1968) for the limit of 75k while I secured a maritime policy. They wrote the policy but later sent me a cancelation notice stating that my boat was underinsured at 75k. After a survey and a lot of forms, I managed to get coverage with Markel through Haggerty but it was a pain and more expensive.
Donahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2024, 16:01   #146

I've done it. I've finally bought a boat. Ended up getting a decent deal on a slight fixer Gemini 3400 catamaran. It will suit my needs well.

Thank you to all that provided insight and advice. It was valuable in the evaluation and decision process. Hopefully, it will also help others in the same conundrum in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240611_185813_Boat Trader.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	392.0 KB
ID:	290799  
Old 11-06-2024, 18:25   #147
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Down to 4 Boats...Please Help Me Decide...

Congratulations on the new old boat..
Enjoy..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 06:43   #148

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Congrats!

I bought a Prout 35, put 10-20k refitting then sold it a couple years later for same price I bought it… had to short sell to goto Philippines as Covid caused immigration to take too long processing wife’s green card.

Anyways, I was going to suggest Gemini or Prout to you, as the Prouts are blue water circumnavigating gunk hole boats

Maybe a more knowledgeable poster can tell you if Geminis are???

Docking at first was scary as hell, but like others said, you get used to it and it becomes routine.

Hardest part is the hull is so big the wind will push you around a lot docking.
pianopraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 07:24   #149

Boat: Boat

Gemini catamarans are coastal cruisers. They are not designed or built to stand up to extended open ocean crossings.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 08:08   #150

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloroxbottle View Post
Gemini catamarans are coastal cruisers. They are not designed or built to stand up to extended open ocean crossings.
I’ve only owned and sailed my Prout (which felt like driving a tank).

Many owners seem to think Geminis do just fine in this thread: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3256086

… while others disagree.

So what is the difference in build between the two? Inside they are so similar.
pianopraze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, lease