Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2024, 04:11   #91

Boat: Presto 36
Re: Down to 4 Boats...Please Help Me Decide...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_At_Heart View Post
I need to keep looking. I'm finding other more suitable boats. The latest is the Morgan 383/384.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/morgan-383384/
The old Morgan 38 with the bronze centerboard is a far better sailor, with the ability to gunkhole, if desired.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2024, 06:39   #92

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by macconews View Post
Buy a Shannon. A few available that meet your needs

Also, agree with Sailorman14: for a single hander with little experience you're looking at boats way too big.
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2024, 06:44   #93
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

A little late to the party- but some misinformation here.

First--- depending on your physical condition and age, with coaching and training single-handing a 45-46' boat, with a bow thruster, is very doable. ANY boat without a thruster will take training and practice. But a 40, is not "too big".

Second-- there are some great books on buying older boats. Many Endeavors have issues with the hull to deck seam. Charlie Morgan had some great designs. The Morgan 38X series feel HUGE, and is a tad beamy, but they sail fairly well and handle nicely. Their big issue is that fiberglass was evolving during their run of manufacture, so some have delimitation issues. Once again, something you need to read-up on.

It is important to remember when buying an older boat, you are buying the original build quality, and everything that every previous owner has done to her. Some of the boats on your list were 'value boats' when they were built. Many of those do not age well.

Finally, missing from your list is Tartans. The Tartan Offshore Ketch, and Tartan 40 are worth a looking over. Both are Sparkman and Stevens designs. Being Tartans, their original exceptional build quality will age gracefully.

Found this Tartan Offshore Ketch (TOCK) https://sailboat.guide/4tbtc9
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2024, 10:03   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
A little late to the party- but some misinformation here.

First--- depending on your physical condition and age, with coaching and training single-handing a 45-46' boat, with a bow thruster, is very doable. ANY boat without a thruster will take training and practice. But a 40, is not "too big".

Second-- there are some great books on buying older boats. Many Endeavors have issues with the hull to deck seam. Charlie Morgan had some great designs. The Morgan 38X series feel HUGE, and is a tad beamy, but they sail fairly well and handle nicely. Their big issue is that fiberglass was evolving during their run of manufacture, so some have delimitation issues. Once again, something you need to read-up on.

It is important to remember when buying an older boat, you are buying the original build quality, and everything that every previous owner has done to her. Some of the boats on your list were 'value boats' when they were built. Many of those do not age well.

Finally, missing from your list is Tartans. The Tartan Offshore Ketch, and Tartan 40 are worth a looking over. Both are Sparkman and Stevens designs. Being Tartans, their original exceptional build quality will age gracefully.

Found this Tartan Offshore Ketch (TOCK) https://sailboat.guide/4tbtc9
I'm thinking the TOCK was balsa cored. Not entirely sure though.
Wild_At_Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2024, 10:05   #95

I've added another boat to my list....

Cherubini Hunter 37

Just starting to research it. So, it's not fully part of the list. I'm seeing value in stability AND speed for ocean crossings.
Old 20-01-2024, 13:49   #96

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
First time poster. I've narrowed my list to purchase a bluewater ketch gunkholer. Please help me weigh the pros and cons of each...

CSY 44 Ketch
Endeavour 40 Ketch
Morgan Out Island 41 Ketch
Endeavour 37 Ketch

My eyes and brain are tired of weighing the pros and cons of each of these myself. I'll likely be single-handing and will be updating the boat for ocean-crossing (new sails, beefier standing rigging, etc.).

Your combined wisdom is appreciated. Here's a list of already excluded contenders...

Victory 40 Ketch
Durbeck 46 Ketch
Pearson 365 Ketch
Northstar 80/20 Ketch
Hughes 40 Ketch
Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 Ketch
Morgan Out Island 36 Ketch
Dickerson 41 Ketch
Gulfstar 41 Ketch

I own a Northstar 80/20 designed by Sparksman & Stephens...
They are well build, very roomy good deck space and sail well. I like the centre cockpit and aft cabinet.
The relative shoal draft of 5'2 is a bonus.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2024, 15:30   #97
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Down to 4 Boats...Please Help Me Decide...

Quote:
I've added another boat to my list....

Cherubini Hunter 37

Just starting to research it. So, it's not fully part of the list. I'm seeing value in stability AND speed for ocean crossings.
The 37c is a good boat... took mine from Oriental NC to the UK via the Azores.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2024, 20:51   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The 37c is a good boat... took mine from Oriental NC to the UK via the Azores.
As a delivery captain that owns the boat, I'll take that thumbs-up in high regard.

Liking a lot what I'm seeing thus far. Feeling really good about the solid fiberglass hull, cutter rig, and the layout.

I see the mainsheet traveller in the cockpit in the early models. Will be avoiding the pre-1982 models unless migrating it to the cabin roof is an easy task. Any other gotchas with this boat?
Old 20-01-2024, 21:53   #99

Quote:
As a delivery captain that owns the boat, I'll take that thumbs-up in high regard.

Liking a lot what I'm seeing thus far. Feeling really good about the solid fiberglass hull, cutter rig, and the layout.

I see the mainsheet traveller in the cockpit in the early models. Will be avoiding the pre-1982 models unless migrating it to the cabin roof is an easy task. Any other gotchas with this boat?
Nevermind. Found your previous comments on the boat. Thanks!

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...hts-37861.html
Old 21-01-2024, 09:49   #100

Great resource for Hunter 37s...

https://hunter.sailboatowners.com/re...k=model&mid=38
Old 21-01-2024, 21:58   #101

Threads comparing Hunter 37c to Morgan 38x...

https://www.sailnet.com/threads/perf...an-382.176025/

https://www.morgan38.org/morgan38/in...s-h-37c.11366/
Old 25-01-2024, 13:00   #102

Another boat added to the list...

Canadian Sailcraft 36 (CS 36; shoal draft)

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/cs-36/
Old 21-02-2024, 09:14   #103

I have three boats I'm considering placing an offer on. I'm leaning toward the Landfall 42 due to the price, but all of them have pluses and minuses. Given my requirements for speed, stability, draft <5', single-handling ability and ocean-crossing capability, which would you choose to offer on and why? Thanks!

Landfall 38 (Smaller, more fuel efficient, faster, less comfortable, less water capacity, new sails and bottom paint, solar, balsa-cored hull/decks) https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5175848566502/

Landfall 42 (Larger, more comfortable, a little slower, more comfortable, 200 gal water capacity, newer sails and bottom paint, solar, balsa-cored hull/decks)
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/197...utter-9066267/

Bristol 38.8 (centerboard; faster, less comfortable; solid fiberglass hull)
https://easternshore.craigslist.org/...717384316.html
Old 21-02-2024, 09:38   #104
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I owned a Landfall 42 for several years. Mine was a center cockpit though and equipped with a Westerbeke, which I think is the original engine.
Mine also had the rod rigging, and while reputed to be good stuff, I didn't care for it, 'cuz it's hard to grip when wet.
I took mine to the B'mas several times and with a 5'6" draft I could pretty much go where I wanted.
Being a '76 model you will likely have to throw some money at it, but for the price, hard to beat imo.
The Landfall is a C&C manufacturer, I believe based in Canada. They built sturdy boats with a good reputation.
Get a good survey on it. Due it's age, finding insurance will likely be a challenge.
The Landfall 38 is basically the small brother of the 42, less space, etc. I've been on one. Go for the 42.
Bristol also make a good boat, but a centerboard is an invitation to problems.
Based on price, etc, I'd give the nod to the Landfall 42.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2024, 09:50   #105

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Quote:
I have three boats I'm considering placing an offer on. I'm leaning toward the Landfall 42 due to the price, but all of them have pluses and minuses. Given my requirements for speed, stability, draft <5', single-handling ability and ocean-crossing capability, which would you choose to offer on and why? Thanks!

Landfall 38 (Smaller, more fuel efficient, faster, less comfortable, less water capacity, new sails and bottom paint, solar, balsa-cored hull/decks) https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5175848566502/

Landfall 42 (Larger, more comfortable, a little slower, more comfortable, 200 gal water capacity, newer sails and bottom paint, solar, balsa-cored hull/decks)
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/197...utter-9066267/

Bristol 38.8 (centerboard; faster, less comfortable; solid fiberglass hull)
https://easternshore.craigslist.org/...717384316.html
None of the above. Too big for full-time single handing (especially in ports) and not particularly quality build as the prices suggest.

For what's it's worth, i single handed across the Atlantic west to east on a 1979 Cape Dory 36 and can't praise that boat enough. Just a bit under the size you're looking for, but a notch or two better in build quality IMHO. And the ride she'll give you in those big seas... priceless.
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, lease