Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2008, 13:14   #1

Boat: No boat... yet!
Dreamer Seeks Practical Newbe Sailer First Boat

Hello!

I just joined Crusiers Forums and have enjoyed reading the posts regarding "first boat" advice. There have been many good tips given.

I have US Sail Basic Cruising certification and will be taking Bareboat Cruising certification shortly.

As a dreamer, I want the biggest/best nicest-looking boat available! But, I need to be practical. I am new to the sailing scene (after a 30+ year hiatus) and am looking to purchase a boat in the next 6-12 months. I don't ant to spend more than $10k on my first boat.

I am thinking that my first boat purchase should be somewhere from which I'd have to sail back home, such as Los Angeles or San Diego. However, that would be sailing against wind and current. Perhaps it would be better to purchase a boat around Seattle, WA or Anchorage, AK. Cruising back home to San Francisco would be less demanding.

First however, I'll have to decide what boat I can afford with my measly budget. Coronado's as super cheap. But, they were not made for the open waters. "Can't I just stay close to the coast as I sail home?" I ask myself. It'd be a great experience and if deciding cruising wasn't for me after all I wouldn't have invested a great deal of money. Plus, it would be a great boat to practice repairing/renovating without the fear of ruining an expensive boat.

Am I still dreaming?

Douglas
oceanbug13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 14:46   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I think you will most likely be able to find something in the Bay Area. Go to Craig's list, E-bay, Latitude38, yachtworld.com. There's a lot of boats in the Bay Area, and a lot of people are selling them, because of the economy.......BEST WISHES
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 15:23   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
Try a Catalina 27. Nice boat for the Bay. Easy to sell for the same you bought her for. Lots of them on the Bay.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 22:00   #4

Thanks for the info, Imagine & Charlie.

I have been checking out the sources and there are a lot of boats for sale. I think I'm going to look for something that is rigged to handle a single-handed ocean cruise. Even though that cruise might be a ways off, I don't want to have to buy another boat just for that journey. I firmly believe that a boat needs to be tended to before she'll tend to the captain. That'll take time.

Happy Sails :-)
Douglas
Old 04-08-2008, 09:14   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Less than 10k and the "ocean cruise" is some time away? I would get a boat in the 25 foot range. Inboard diesel power, electrics, proper head & tank etc.

This will teach you bigger boat systems and you won't lose money on the resale. You may also find that you are single handed a lot. A smaller boat is easier to handle and cheaper to operate.

I would also venture that you might consider a catalina 22. Dead nuts simple to sail
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:59   #6

Dan - Thank you for the response. I realize that I'm asking for a lot of boat for the budget I've laid out. I could spend more, but I'm in no hurry to get onto the ocean. I'll be chartering boats to gain sailing experience until the right boat shows up. Then I'll gain more experience on her. "Some time away" is likely to be late 2009.

Later this month, I'll be sailing with OCSC from San Francisco up to Drakes Bay (just north of SF at Point Reyes), on a 82' schooner named Seaward. It will be my first ocean adventure and I'm excited!

Again, thanks for your input.

Happy Sails!
Douglas
Old 04-08-2008, 14:19   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Douglas,

If you get seasick on your trip. Don't let it keep you from sailing. Most of us sooner, or later get sick to some extent. The rewards of sailing outway a little bit of sickeness. I left S.F. for Cabo alone, and was dying the first 2 days on my 30 footer. It was a wonderful trip even taking into consideration for 2 days I wanted to die.......LOLOLOLOLOLOL
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 15:21   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I realize that I'm asking for a lot of boat for the budget I've laid out.
Actually a lot more. A quick trip to YachtWorld.Com looking for cruisers, diesel power, 22 to 30 ft, and under $10k yielded none in California but 44 in the whole US. Of those many will need work (more money) and none were actually open ocean type boats. In any case YachtWorld is a good search tool to see how far your money can go. Search local for boats first. You'll save a few thousand in expenses. You'll also be able to work on the boat before you have to sail it home. That will save time and more money. On a tight budget you don't need expenses that make the cost higher but yields nothing in return. A first time adventure in an unprepared boat with an unfamiliar skipper loses some anticipation. You don't need to stack the deck against yourself.

It seems you are moving away from dreaming and getting more into doing. Making plans sure beats dreaming and really sailing beats about everything. It appears your training is well under way and that alone has to feel great! Sailing still is one of those "mostly about showing up" sports. It's not same when you read about it and you just don't get the full thrill of it on shore. With more sailing comes better understanding. Preparing to make it happen is the only way it will. You've got such a great start don't get sidetracked. It's really about the sailing more than anything else.

Your boat plans still seem lacking and the deadline seems artificial. It may take longer but you don't have to stop sailing. It just makes you smarter and more prepared for the next step. You need to sail more than you need anything else. Sailing can be a life long activity and there is always more to learn. If you make that the goal you'll do a lot of sailing and have the most fun!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 16:44   #9

Hi Imagine - Thanks for the humor! Sorry about your first trip. Fortunately (knock, knock) I inherited the amazing anti-sea-sickness gene from my Dad (it's a Scottish thing ;-) Even when I was cruising the Med on a big Royal Carribean ship and the waves were slapping at the dining room windows, my tummy stayed calm... actually now that I think about it, my nerves probably locked it stiff as a ball! lol
Happy Sails!
Douglas
Old 04-08-2008, 17:04   #10

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your valuable insight. I have been concentrating on learning as much as I can while I have free time off from a working career. But, this morning I sat down with a manager at OCSC Sailing School and went over my goals. We have set an aggressive class (instructional/practical) schedule for the remainder of this year. As you suggested in your posting I will concentrate on gaining sailing experience. I have decided to delay my plans for the purchase of a boat to fully focus on a rigorous sailing program. After all, if I purchased a boat I would likely have to spend time fixing her up; time off of the water. I am hopeful that something will turn up when I start looking again in the near future.

In the meantime, I will continue reading this (and other) forums for their valuable information and lively content. I will also update my sailing blog (Ocean Bug 13) as I journey through this exciting period in my life.

Again, Thanks :-)

Happy Sails!
Douglas
Old 05-08-2008, 19:58   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Douglas,

Good plan and it sounds like your instructor is willing and able to work with you to layout and execute the realistic goals.

There should be plenty of sialing and boats available for now and it will give you experience on various boats.

Keep us posted on your adventures. I'd love to see someone posting periodic stories of learning to sail through organized schools. It would be inspiring to others I am sure.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote