Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2021, 13:31   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Dreams vs Reality - First Blue Water Cruiser Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiebluewater View Post
Thanks ilenart, I am coming to the realisation I am probably going to have to up my budget to 100k. I like the look of https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/d...AG-AD-19518049 but don’t know much about them.

I quiet like the look of the S&S and van de Stadt so I might do some more research on those

Remember the old saying..."What goes up must come down. This is true for the boat market. Covid drove the prices up. Once people return to work or yet another economy downturn (Approx. every 7 years), prices will once again go down as availability of boats go back up.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 14:54   #17

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

I own a Ted Brewer Kingsland 44' Steel pilothouse.
Comments:
1) skeg mounted rudder is a bad choice VERY subject to damage, mine is keel hung
2) Steel though a PIA to maintain is bulletproof compared to anything non metal
3) Pilothouse steering is possible but has many headaches re visibility ahead. I NEVER steer from inside my design
4)Yes get an emergency rudder and self steering is entirely dependant on boat /steering design
5) Be aware the pilothouse "glass" is a safety concern and MAY require outer storm cover panes if the glass area is to large
6) I agree if you buy a cheap fixer-upper you'll be tied down for YEARS and many more $$$$ in yard fees and materials, even if you do ALL the work
7) My 1985 valued at $75,000 and she's old but in great shape.
Old 08-12-2021, 17:09   #18

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Russ...I had to read twicw your statement..."skeg mounted rudder is a bad choice VERY subject to damage, mine is keel hung". Just not true. I might buy that statement if you said spade rudder. But I have never seen any damage during a grounding to a skeg hung rudder. Having owned an Ingrid 38 Full keel with a rudder hung on the keel, I can safely say, yes the rudder is somewhat more protected but it far out weighs by the fact a full keel with a barn door on the back is much less maneuverable creating problem in the first place...especially on a lee shore.
I have also built 2 steel boats of my own and would agree, while strong they are proned to a greater degree where ongoing maintenance is concerned. While cruising Mexico, I hulled every year for hurricane season. I the yard, by far were people welding complete sheets where corrosion had taken over. I think the killer for them is spending time in slips where stray currents run amuck.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 20:41   #19

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Russ...I had to read twicw your statement..."skeg mounted rudder is a bad choice VERY subject to damage, mine is keel hung". Just not true. I might buy that statement if you said spade rudder. [
[...]

Same here, I think he meant spade rudder.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 10:22   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Australia has to be one of the more expensive places in the world to buy a boat……if you’re going to go offshore, buy it somewhere else….ANYWHERE else.
My first choice would be Grenada or Trinadad in the Carribbean - lots of boats for sale, decent labour on hand for reasonable prices for those tasks you can’t do yourself……and when she’s ready, a great training ground for ocean sailing.
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 17:32   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Well, I just had a look at a couple of web sites, and unfortunately, I didn't find what you want. Doesn't mean it won't be possible for you, I'm pretty average at such searches.

I think you need to adjust your budget up to around 150 k for the boat, or the boat size down to 30-40 ft. Possibly both. I just saw a Coles 46 for 177. Nice looking boat, not new at all. The Gozzard 36 was over your price range, too. Even the Peterson 44.

Are you a Swanson kind of guy? maybe a Swanson 38 or 42? Originally, I was thinking an S&S 34 would do you. Nice sailing boats, know some that have circumnavigated, good all 'round boats. Or an Adams Nought 40, one of them came with a deck saloon; the other is flush deck. A flush deck one of our acquaintance did a TAS to Alaska and return loop, via NZ and Hawai'i. There is a Swanson's owner's group in Oz.

Look with determination, maybe someone will know of "your boat", and you'll get there by word of mouth.

I would simply forget old steelies. I know people like them, but you'll end up having a paint brush grafted to your hand. They need constant attention to keep up. Especially when they've been allowed to decline. And they rust from the inside out. Big beware!

Good luck in your search.

Ann
Old 20-12-2021, 19:07   #22

Thanks JPA, I don't mind the Swanson's either.

I think I am going to wait for the right one at the right price rather than put years of work into one. I'll also look for something smaller so I can go sooner.

Thanks for all the replies
Aussiebluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 19:39   #23

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Thanks JPA, I don't mind the Swanson's either.

I think I am going to wait for the right one at the right price rather than put years of work into one. I'll also look for something smaller so I can go sooner.

Thanks for all the replies
Good decision. There are cruisers ending their ocean crossing and boat ownership in Australia or NZ, although many do that as they know they can sell the boat there at a higher price than Europe or the US.

Even before the covid, $50K couldn't get you a reasonable ~40' offshore cruiser. The bare minimum at that time, before light refitting, considering no major issues from the 90's has been $100-120K.

Pilot house boats are very rare and if in a good shape would cost much more. You may find boats with original hard dodger, or add (custom build) a hard elevated dodger and complete the cockpit with a strong bimini with fully enclosed removable panels - very common with cruisers.

Anyway, just to give you a general idea. Unless you find a very rare bargain, you'll need to wait for the right budget.

Best of luck
Old 20-12-2021, 20:27   #24

Boat: Farr 43`

Keep looking in Oz.
Buying offshore comes with it's own issues.

Inexperienced boat repairer operating in an unfamiliar country with little or no contacts or support.
Far removed from family and income stream with travel costs added to storage.

Once the boat is ready the novice sailor then finds a crew to deliver it half way round the world to be greeted by the tax man.

Buy local sail it, fix it, earn some money repeat.
Oz has fantastic marine Service Providers and facilities.

By the time you're ready the boat will be ready and you have fantastic cruising on your doorstep.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 20:33   #25

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Quote:
Thanks ilenart, I am coming to the realisation I am probably going to have to up my budget to 100k. I like the look of https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/d...AG-AD-19518049 but don’t know much about them.

I quiet like the look of the S&S and van de Stadt so I might do some more research on those
If you like the SS designs but find the S&S 34 a bit small / tight the S&S 36 maybe an option. Not as many around. This one looks in pretty good nick.

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats...hens-36/262515

Ilenart
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2021, 15:07   #26

Thanks ilenart,

One of the reasons I wanted the a larger boat was Hull speed. I figured with a longer water line it could make a passage that much shorter. I have heard of people buddy boating across a passage and the boat with the longer water line can get in to port a week earlier. Not much of a buddy if theyre in port drinking beers while your slogging it out in the weather!!!

As usual, boating is a compromise.
Aussiebluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2021, 16:04   #27

Boat: 48' Alu Cat

I would try the US or western Caribbean. Have seen some boats in reasonable condition around US $30 k'
Seman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, blue water, cruise, cruiser, water