Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2021, 13:44   #1

Dufour 50+ size advices

Hi all

I’m considering buying a Dufour 50+ft size - either new or a couple of years old because I really like the design and layout.

I want to buy a boat that can last for a long time and that also can handle rough weather when needed. Is Dufour up to the job?

Kind Regards,
Peter
peter-sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 23:31   #2

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: Dufour 50+ size advices

Just make sure you know that Dufour cheats on sizes. A 520 is only 49 feet long.

We had a 520 as a Dream Yacht charter boat. Nearly new. Totally trashed. No, I would not consider it a blue water boat, based upon our experience. It was very tender, even in light seas. Everything on the boat that was broken - and there was a LOT of it - was repaired with duct tape.

No way I'd consider a Dufour for anything other than coastal cruising, and for coastal cruising, my opinion is that there are many better options.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 00:50   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Just make sure you know that Dufour cheats on sizes. A 520 is only 49 feet long.

We had a 520 as a Dream Yacht charter boat. Nearly new. Totally trashed. No, I would not consider it a blue water boat, based upon our experience. It was very tender, even in light seas. Everything on the boat that was broken - and there was a LOT of it - was repaired with duct tape.

No way I'd consider a Dufour for anything other than coastal cruising, and for coastal cruising, my opinion is that there are many better options.
I honestly haven’t heard anyone say anything good about Dufour - I cannot understand it - it’s a boat builder with so much track record how can their boats be so bad?

When you say tender - what do you mean? - soft? Will the boat fall apart beyond possible repairs?

Have also been looking at older boats such as the Jeanneau 54 DS. Would that be a better choice? I know it has a Kevlar reinforced hull

Br, Peter
Old 29-06-2021, 09:16   #4

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Tender = more affected by waves and wind. That being said, our boat is designed for water sailing">blue water sailing. We've chartered several Jeanneaus. I much, MUCH prefer those boats to the single Dufour we chartered. I can't believe Cruising World gave the Dufour 520 its "Boat of the Year" award.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 09:26   #5

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2 (sold)

Quote:

I had the same experience. Almost-new Dufour from DYC. Half the cupboard hatches had already failed, part of the cabin sole was ready to break because it was not properly supported. The aft cabins were noisy at anchor with waves slapping the prodigious beam back there, and half the party got sick in the hour of moderate (at best) swell we encountered. It looked pretty at anchor though, from a distance anyway. Our older Sun Odyessy is better built by far and more sea kindly in my admittedly limited experience.
steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 12:37   #6

30 or 40 years ago, Dufour had a stellar reputation, it used to be the reference of affordable production boats. I still remember the mythical Dufour 35 I had an opportunity to sail when I was a teenager, a true workhorse of cruising. Over the years, Dufour's quality went through ups and downs, which I think tarnished its reputation. For whatever reason, it is rare to hear anything good about Dufour nowadays, but it is rare to hear something really bad about them as well, so maybe it is just a matter of other brands being more popular and visible.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 15:53   #7

If you buy a Dufour expect absolutely no service or. Help from Dufour… I own a 2015 50 Dufour and had numerous problems with it...I tried unsuccessfully many times to contact Dufour to ask for help… They constantly said they do not deal with their customers and would Not deal with me… They told me to contact their local representative which I got absolutely no help from either and I even went back to Dufour and told them the circumstances and that no one would help me… And they didn’t even respond to me… After 2+ years I gave up but was extremelyDissatisfied with the way they do business…As the French say Caveat emptor which mean buyer beware
Dandonoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 21:25   #8

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter-sailing View Post
Hi all

I’m considering buying a Dufour 50+ft size - either new or a couple of years old because I really like the design and layout.

I want to buy a boat that can last for a long time and that also can handle rough weather when needed. Is Dufour up to the job?

Kind Regards,
Peter
Interesting comments from your question!
As it seems you might be looking at other options now, have you considered one of these?

We have had our Beneteau Oceanis 50 G5 in a blow off the coast of Nth Africa, where it was gusting F9/10, and were very pleased how she handled it.
In nicer winds, she sails beautifully, (and many have done things such as the ARC).
Can get a bit uncomfortable in a rolly anchorage, but nothing unusual there.

Here's a quick look at a nice sail to Venice:
https://youtu.be/L3f6REPF2RE?t=927
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DJI_0056 (Large).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	441.9 KB
ID:	241274   Click image for larger version

Name:	Beneteau-Oceanis-50-5.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	427.8 KB
ID:	241275  

Old 29-06-2021, 21:28   #9

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandonoghue View Post
If you buy a Dufour expect absolutely no service or. Help from Dufour… I own a 2015 50 Dufour and had numerous problems with it...I tried unsuccessfully many times to contact Dufour to ask for help… They constantly said they do not deal with their customers and would Not deal with me… They told me to contact their local representative which I got absolutely no help from either and I even went back to Dufour and told them the circumstances and that no one would help me… And they didn’t even respond to me… After 2+ years I gave up but was extremelyDissatisfied with the way they do business…As the French say Caveat emptor which mean buyer beware
That is so disappointing. We have had our gripes with Beneteau, but it was never like that. I'm hoping this was nothing to do with warranty? Hope also that you got it sorted eventually, and are enjoying your boat.
Old 29-06-2021, 23:56   #10

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

Very interesting comments. Blaming the boat for whatever goes wrong. As a former delivery skipper, I find the brand not to blame but the maintenance, conditions we encounter, crew skills and tolerance more the reasons. Granted lots of older boats had design and construction problems, but now in 2021, these bugs have largely been eliminated. Since we're discussing a new boat here, little maintenance feedback is available. I sail a Jeanneau 49ds, ex charter boat. After 17000 miles, I have no issues whatsoever with the boat. Equipment has moving parts operating in a marine environment and subject to wear and corrosion. I expect and prepare for these to fail.
Even high end brands like Amel will have issues difficult to resolve. A friend bought one new and had to strip and repaint the masts and booms. (covered by warranty) And replace the engine! (again warranty) My point is don't be so quick to judge brands as they are but a sum of their parts. If you don't like pounding to weather, don't buy a boat that can sail close winded at 6 kts in heavy seas, or learn to slow down and crack off a bit. Buy a heavy fat motorsailer and complain about fuel consumption instead. Myself, I love a closewinded sail up a narrow channel and 200 mile days on passages without an a sail. Modern light boats will do this.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 02:29   #11

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I’m now in a group on Facebook for Dufour owners and many are responding in a similar fashion as here and the boats have a lot of mistakes.

That being said, I still haven’t come across any boats sinking yet so as for the structural integrity I think the boats are alright.
Old 30-06-2021, 04:25   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Dufours were, as were many/most Euro' boats, using brass skin fittings and valves, with an expected life of ± 5-7 years.

During the 2015 Atlantic Rally for Cruisers, “Duffy”, a Dufour 34, broached in a gust, and the mast broke, just above deck level.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 04:33   #13

Quote:
I can't believe Cruising World gave the Dufour 520 its "Boat of the Year" award.
Those awards usually aren't given, they're bought in most cases.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 08:16   #14

Well the comments on the Dufour are generally negative but I’d like to present an alternative view. I own a 2016 Dufour 460 and I purchased it used and I’ve had it for four years. I’m familiar with the Junneau and the Benneteau as far as production boats go and I think the Dufour has a nicer layout sails better and is faster. I have taken her 10,000 miles and a two week blue water trip from the eastern Caribbean to Chessapeake Bay. It’s travelled in the last four years through the Caribbean and up the East Coast. I really enjoy it and while it is not the super high-end boats it’s a very good sailing boat and good value. I have plans to take it across the Atlantic and have no qualms about that. I will agree with the previous post that Dufour customer service is not impressive. The boat though has been great for me.
smallchange is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, Dufour, size