Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2019, 05:45   #1

Duncanson 22 information?

Looking for any information on the Duncanson 22.

Can find the 25 and bigger, but aside from a couple of ads for others nothing on the 22 at all.

Acquired it from a friend who bought it from Goolwa some years ago, or more correctly, I towed it home from Goolwa for him as his car wasn't up to it.

Problem is that the trailer is long gone and it's been sitting on old tyres under his carport for four years. In good nick, probably been in the water for a day or so 6 times in about 8 years. Just needs a good cleanup and a repaint.

I've found an old trailer that is solid enough (3mm C section no less) to modify (will need a second axle and an extension at the back) but I'm particularly interested in the weight of the boat, as I'd like to get boat and trailer under that 1999kg weight limit where override brakes are acceptable. Otherwise it will need full breakaways which are rather more expensive. (The former owner is also my employer and we build trailers so the upgrade is not an issue).

Came with an older Navman 6600 chartplotter/sonar with older CMaps, VHF radio and a 15hp outboard with about ten hours of use on it. But no trailer, so now the hunt begins. The 25 is listed as around 1.5 tonnes with about 580kg of that as centreboard (doubles as ballast) About 10mm thick solid steel. I'm guessing this one is a bit less, but they owner had a chat with (apparently) the builder some years ago and he remarked that it was laid up with a thicker than usual hull for some reason. So I'm guessing that would make it a bit heavier.

If anyone has any information, I'd be pleased to hear from them. Anything at all. Attaching a couple of photos of her as she was some years back on the trailer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	encore.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	327.2 KB
ID:	193287

Click image for larger version

Name:	encore 2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	193288

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Geoff
AussieGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:17   #2

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Geoff, I’ll have to sail round now and visit you for sure.

Don’t know about the 22 but I can say the few Duncansons I have sailed we’re all terrific boats with lovely manners and a damn sight better at handling the gulf chop than my boat.

From the pictures she looks to be a scaled up and slinkier version of my Austral 20 (another South Australian classic) which was 1.3 tons, being the later model with the heavier keel. With the trailer I seem to remember it all coming in at around 1.75 tons when I had it weighed and certificated before a big interstate trip. The trailer was a blatant knockoff of one of the better Dunbier models, complete with tilting draw bar and on a single axle. Had to use some pretty heavy duty tyres from memory.

I’ll be interested to see how yours compares but I reckon you’ve got a good chance of getting it all under 1999 kg.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:25   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Duncanson 22 information?

Since the Duncanson 25 only has a displacement of 1,524 kg (or 1,624 kg), I suspect you’re safely under 1,999 kg, with the 22.
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/duncanson-25

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 20:00   #4

Yeah, that was my inference as well, based on the same source, should be no problem keeping it under 1999kg. The only possible issue is the extra thick hull which clearly adds weight, but I can't see it being half a tonne.

What's odd is that there seems to be nothing at all around on the 22 other than one or two offered for sale, which seem to have the same cabin design (aft section higher than forward section, presumably for headroom though slightly different windows - custom fit to order I'd say) but no published information I can find.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a Duncanson design, or something else they built to order, apparently it was built for 'another boatbuilder' hence the double thickness hull, so I'm starting to wonder if it's a design of that 'other boatbuilder' and Duncanson simply built it for him and perhaps one or two others as well.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-06-2019, 20:12   #5

After some more digging, I came across something in the Compass group on Google Groups. It seems the Dunc 28/29 is essentially a Compass 28 design. Looking at Compass pics, they have that same two step cabin, varying window layouts but they look very similar, so I'm going to take a stab here and say it's possibly a clone of a Compass Careel or something very like it.
Old 05-06-2019, 21:20   #6

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Duncanson do have a bit of a reputation for... ummmm...being strongly influenced by existing designs. There’s a constant grumble that the 36 was a knockoff of something from S&S from memory.