Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2021, 07:46   #1

Eastsail All Weather 25?

Hello hive mind,
We’re in the Pacific NW and searching for a 25 to 26 foot pilothouse sailboat with >6’ headroom. I came across this lovely write up from Perry himself in Sailing Magazine about the Eastsail All weather 25, but haven’t found much more than that - and not a single one for sale anywhere. Does anyone know more about these vessels?

https://sailingmagazine.net/article-1266-eastsail-all-weather-25.html

Thanks,
Katie
MontanaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 12:28   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Eastsail All Weather 25?

https://www.google.com/search?q=allw...&client=safari

I’m betting there hasn’t been one built. I can’t find a single photo of one, nothing offered in brokerage, etc…..the eastsail website has a brokerage and consulting section, but no photos of the boat either.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 16:37   #3

That sounds like it might be the case. Bummer as they look like fabulous little boats!
Old 19-09-2021, 17:44   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

You could always commission one to be built to the design...

Jim
Old 20-09-2021, 05:09   #5

Boat: Pearson 424

Not an Eastsail but this is a current listing
https://charleston.craigslist.org/bo...376828872.html
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 09:30   #6

Hello Katie :-)

I see you've been with us for quite a number of years, but not posted very actively. Hope you'll remedy that ;-)

The Eastsail 25 looks like a charming little boat and I see, in the write-up I think it was, that the asking price is a hundred grand. Oof!

So look at this:

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/gulf-32

The Gulf 30 was designed by the doyen of yacht designers in the PNW, William Garden, after he had settled "north of 49" at "Toad's Landing" - one of the southernmost Gulf Islands, and you will find that for livability she would be far superior to the E25, and as for handling: Any Willy Garden boat I've sailed has been impeccably well behaved and just an all-around joy. Beyond that, she is also to my eye a very pretty boat. Willy's handling of curves and their interrelationships was just superb. I'm marina mates with a G32 :-)

You should be able to find one for about one third of what they seem to be asking for the E25.

As a denizen of the Salish Sea, meself, I think you are very wise to aim for a pilot house boat. The G32 has the great advantage over the E25 that there really IS room for a useful "full time" heater, and believe me, for year-round sailing in the Salish Sea you do need one :-)!

All the best.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 10:11   #7

Ha! Yes, the Gulfs are next on our list of boats that we are considering. They just don't have the eye-pleasing characteristics of the Eastsails, but are incredibly functional for our neck of the woods (Pacific Northwest). We are also trying to track down some Finnish motorsailors - the Marina 85 that are just gorgeous. (https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/47061)
Old 21-09-2021, 10:37   #8

Hmm... Give a butcher's to the Finnsailers. They are out and out "motorsailers" with an SA/D of something like 11 or 12. They have considerable merit qua small "live-aboards", thus for prolonged cruises in the Salish Sea even during the winters.

For my money, 30 feet LOA is the sweet spot in terms of bang for the buck, but the FS35 is really rather more useful than the FS29 and given that both are MSs, with abysmally short rigs, I cannot believe that the ownership costs for the 35 would be that much more than those for the 29.

TP, a "pilot house" sloop, is a very well behaved boat, but has a SA/D of only 13. On those lovely August and September days in the Salish Sea I yearn for an SA/D of 26 :-). In February, when the wind comes out of the nor'west howling like a demented banshee, I'm quite content with TP being "permanently reefed" :-)!

Cheers

TP
Old 21-09-2021, 14:16   #9

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Cousin to Mascot 28
https://ca.boats.com/sailing-boats/1...se-30-7096493/
Old 21-09-2021, 15:18   #10

Yes, indeed!

However, I've never seen an LM on this coast, and to get one from Racine to Seattle would be a tad costly negating any amount this "oddball" (by PNW standard) would be priced below the market for similar boats in similar condition.

A further note of caution is that AFAIK these boats were all fitted with Volvos of about 35HP, and, worse than that, they were fitted with "saildrives". Accepting a saildrive is, IMO, just asking for unnecessary trouble and expense.

We are again talking about a diminutive SA/D - a "permanently reefed" boat. While that may suit some, it is NOT optimum for the Salish Sea. In the Salish Sea a large number of days - basically every day when there is a good sailing breeze - the wind blows "up the strait" (from the SE) or "down the strait" (from the NW), which means that almost regardless of where you are going, you have the wind either on the nose, or rather far aft of the beam. That has implications, of course, for the selection of canvas unless you are content to motor more than boats wearing more canvas.

LM hasn't, AFAIK, built boats for over 30 years. They "transisted" to blades for wind turbines, and got a tad too big for their boots. They attempted to crack the American market with a plant in, I believe, Arkansas. The inevitable, and predictable, result was that General Electric made the proprietors "an offer they couldn't refuse". The name "LM" lives on as a quite successful multinational subsidiary of GE,

ATB

TP

Tags
sail, weather