Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2013, 16:28   #1

Boat: Carver, 3807
Electric power for Catalina 22

I have just finished refurbishing a 1985 Catalina 22 for a 12 yr old grandaughter to use to start her sailing future. I am concerned about the 5 h.p. mercury outboard presently installed. I am thinking of converting the outboard to electric. Has anyone used a elect trolling motor, or a Torqueedo outboard for this application? I just want to get something installed before spring.
JimmyB73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 21:48   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Electric power for Catalina 22

Sure, we use a Torqueedo on our International Folkboat 26 and a Minn Kota 55 lb thrust for our West Wight Potter 19 and a 35 lb thrust on a Venture 17. We only use the motors for going on an off moorings and for up and down a short river when needed.

For extended motoring an outboard engine is much more practical.

Do a search on the second line down from the top of header under the search function for "electric outboards" and you'll see several posts.

kind regards,
Old 19-12-2013, 22:07   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I used a 55lb trolling motor for my Olson 30 to get in and out of the harbor. So long as the run was kept to 15-20 minutes each way it was fine. Longer than that and we needed to add more batteries.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 10:16   #4

Depending on your battery capacity you might be able to extend your running time to 4 hours.

You can get some very specific informatian about Torqueedo right here on the internet.

I agree that a 12 year old and a gas outboard are probably not a good mix but if taught properly it is doable. I'd get the lightest most dependable, easiest to maintain outboard possible and stress flammability issues and the possibility of falling over the stern when lowering the motor.
Old 21-12-2013, 18:57   #5

The electric trolling motor is sounding like the best choice. I installed a 10 amp battery charger and 2 size 31 batteries for power. I can relocate one batt. aft for motor and still have one for lights and cabin. Grandaughter has been on boats since she was 6 mos. She has had her hand on the tiller since 5.
Old 21-12-2013, 19:36   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Jimmy, I wish that I had had a grampa like you! Good onya, mate, for being there for your GD, and helping her along as a sailor.

FWIW, I had several different outboards on my Cat-22 many years ago, ranging from 2 to 6 hp. The 6 was the only one that would drive the boat to windward in typical SF bay conditions. You didn't say where the boat would be used,nor anything else about the tasks to be done by the motor, but I'd be surprised if the electric jobs would be up to anything but benign conditions. Further, I don't see any reason that an active 12 year old couldn't handle the petrol o/b just fine. I see plenty of kids in dinghies managing larger motors than that.

Anyhow, I bet that she is excited about her new toy!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 22-12-2013, 13:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Jimmy, I wish that I had had a grampa like you! Good onya, mate, for being there for your GD, and helping her along as a sailor.

FWIW, I had several different outboards on my Cat-22 many years ago, ranging from 2 to 6 hp. The 6 was the only one that would drive the boat to windward in typical SF bay conditions. You didn't say where the boat would be used,nor anything else about the tasks to be done by the motor, but I'd be surprised if the electric jobs would be up to anything but benign conditions. Further, I don't see any reason that an active 12 year old couldn't handle the petrol o/b just fine. I see plenty of kids in dinghies managing larger motors than that.

Anyhow, I bet that she is excited about her new toy!

Cheers,

Jim
As he said. If, you need to fight chop and wind on the nose then a gas outboard is better.

If you go the electric route, we mount the batteries where weight destribution is best and run a wire internally to the stern and then installed two lugs on the outside of the transom and just wing nut the electric outboard terminals to them when we want to use the outboard. We've colored one lug red and the other black to match the wire leads on the outboard. We also mounted them far enough apart so you wouldn't be able to cross a metal wrench or span your hand from one terminal to the next. We have it wired to the main battery switch and fused. That's for the Minn Kota. The Torqueedo has it's own internal battery and we have a battery charger with an inverter in the Folkboat where it's used.

The reason we've done electric with the club boats is for ease of use by members who are gas outboardly challenged. If your daughter has a good concept of gas outboards and their workings you may want to stay with a light gas outboard.
Old 22-12-2013, 18:51   #8

We are planning on keeping her on a mooring or on the trailer at a small marina on the southern end of Lake Champlain. Not much of a strong current problem
Just enough power to get out of the nooring field or off the dock. Its a 120 mile long lake seperating N.Y. and Vermont. Best NE sailing for a short season. The lake is somewhat narrow, so she will get plenty of practice jibbing. First year or so, I will be with her and slowly let her take the leading roll before we turn her loose alone.
Old 22-12-2013, 19:09   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Kewl Grandpa
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 20:34   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyB73 View Post
We are planning on keeping her on a mooring or on the trailer at a small marina on the southern end of Lake Champlain. Not much of a strong current problem
Just enough power to get out of the nooring field or off the dock. Its a 120 mile long lake seperating N.Y. and Vermont. Best NE sailing for a short season. The lake is somewhat narrow, so she will get plenty of practice jibbing. First year or so, I will be with her and slowly let her take the leading roll before we turn her loose alone.
You'll get lots of practice tacking and jibing too. Sounds like electric is good for your purposes.

Tags
catalina, electric