Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2008, 10:34   #1

Boat: 1980 Cape Dory 30' Cutter - Swift Ranger
Endeavor 32 or Tartan 34?

So, we are moving down to Florida, and after more sailing school (hopefully finishing ASA 103 and 104) and purchasing a sailboat, however, we are a little unsure as to which one. Right now we are looking at the Endeavor 32 and the Tartan 34. We do plan on sailing long distances and want something truly seaworthy. Are first goal is to sail, into the wind mostly, from Florida to the BVI's. We also do have aspirations to one day make an Atlantic crossing via BVI-Bermuda-Canaries.

Which boat would you recommend for such a trip?

Do any of you have experience with either boats?

Thanks!

-Paddy
PaddyoRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 13:07   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Of the two, the Tartan is the better boat. These are old boats so before setting out on any long voyages make sure everything's up to scratch.
Old 13-09-2008, 13:51   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Which boat would you recommend for such a trip?
Tartan clearly was the better boat. How there are today is a different story. I would be looking for a Tartan 37. Any 32 is going to be pretty cramped. Going long distance requires about 4 tons of stuff (counting water and fuel). You might want a place to sleep after you fill all the stuff in the boat. You need to be thinking pickup truck not little econo vehicle for going long distances. The Endeavor wasn't built as a long distance boat. Neighbors had a 33 and did a lot of coastal trips in it and liked it. When they sold it the deck was in poor shape from rotted coring. It's a common problem. The older Tartans were a better quality build. They can be worth fixing up.

I would delay any purchase as long as possible. The more you learn now the better able to choose a boat you will be. It's not just about the brand but the condition. After 20 years all boats can have properties they didn't have when they were new. I'm not talking about being better with age. For longer trips you probably would be happier in a 34 or 36 something in the 18,000 lb displacement range.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 16:32   #4

Boat: 1980 Cape Dory 30' Cutter - Swift Ranger
I certainly need to do a lot of research; with a budget of a little over 35,000, It's going to be hard to find a boat worthy of crossing oceans.

I had ruled out Morgan's a while back, but they're under full consideration now...

I appreciate all your feedback, I liked the Tartans to begin with

thanks!
PaddyoRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 17:24   #5
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
CSY 33....?
Old 13-09-2008, 18:53   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I certainly need to do a lot of research; with a budget of a little over 35,000, It's going to be hard to find a boat worthy of crossing oceans.
Having owned a CSY 33 you could do a whole lot worse. They are more like a 36 than a 33 given the fundamentals of how they are made and the displacement. My friend Max sailed his form Halifax to the Azores in early November. His wife flew on the airplane. It works! You need something that works. On a $35K budget there is darn little that does.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 20:53   #7

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
The T34 is about as seaworthy a design as they come, though the interior is a bit 'cozy' for two. The wife and I deal with this by filling the V-berth with 'stuff' while underway, while alternating sleep in the single QB, then when at destination, moving all the 'stuff' from the V into the QB.

The reason they are more cozy than other 34 footers is the large cockpit (as compared to similar S&S models). This is a great feature when day-sailing and entertaining in nice weather. It does however, take a good two feet+ from the cabin. This loss of two feet may not seem like much, but it translates to a smaller clothes closet and drawer section, a smaller head, and a smaller galley.

The T34 will serve, but if you can get your hands on a T37, it's a much more spacious liveaboard (though not as pretty!). You might be able to find one in your price range. Never hurts to ask.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 17:29   #8

35000$ not enough?

I just today picked up an Endeavor 32 for 2000$ Yes, it had been sunk in 3 feetof water and it is a mess BUT as I have a lot of pieces parts and some know how, I can do a lot with it. Do not believe anyone who says you cannot go sailing for less than 35K$ Maybe he cannot. Not long ago at all 32 ft was pretty big and people went all around. Last year a gent in a steel cutter (I think it was a cutter) of 44ft and a lady in a 28ft boat were rounding south america and were only 50 miles apart. He got rolled and dismasted and couldnt get his motor going; she was just fine. I forget which make but even more modestly constructed boats can easily be beefed up to go cross oceans. Several years ago a guy was found off mexico in pacific. He had dismasted and been out there drifting for a month. He caught rain, spear turtles etc and after being found by the coasties, wanted only some help getting his mast right and some small provisions so he could keep going. Same year man on east coast is found dilusional, underweight and just totally beat up. He had been out not as long as west coast man but was much worse off. I'll take knowlege(Not all book but how to rig stuff with available items etc.), fortitude , and fitness over dollars any day! Lyn and larry Pardee....yes, they ask for a tow now and then and live rather austere for me but hey, they are out there doing it :-). Even with water and five gallons of fuel, I do not own four tons of stuff ! So, if you need that much stuff, there is a whole side to cruising you might be missing :-) Take care , fw+cs Terry
terabika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 18:34   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I owned an older Tartan Blackwatch 37. Totally different than the new T37. Tartan make a good quality cruiser. Tartan always used top notch designers such as Hood or Sparkman Stephens.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 18:34   #10

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
You'll find something. Enjoy the search

Downeaster 32 yacht for sale
theonecalledtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 19:29   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
those two boats are so different from each other...

...you might as well be asking, "Which religion should I belong to, Baptist or Buddhist?"
Old 09-02-2009, 14:32   #12

Boat: 36' custom steel
Mahina Expedition - Offshore Cruising Instruction

Boat selection, under consultation tab.

Good explanation of what you are looking for, with a list of boats. John Neal started out in a small boat, so his list does not ignore small sailboats.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:08   #13

Boat: Catalina 30
Did you buy a boat? Think diesel engine vs gasoline. I believe the tartan has an atomic 4 unless it has been upgraded. Tartan has a centerboard that will allow you to get to many places in the Bahamas that the Endeavor can't.
I live on a boat in St Croix, VI> Let me know if you are coming this way.
cayennita is offline   Reply With Quote