Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2017, 16:49   #1

Boat: Endeavour 51
Endeavor 51 info

I have been looking at quite a few boats recently. Everything from a 39 Corbin, to a cold molded Bruce Roberts 57. Pearson 424, Catalina 42, reliance 44, celestial 48, tartan 40 all in between. The endeavor 51 so far, is what both my significant other and I have fallen in love with. Google however doesn't seem to turn up much info on these boats. What can you all tell me about them? Aside from the usual old boat problems, what issues should I look for, how do they sail? How to they handle themselves in a blow? This boat will be our home for a couple years as we travel the Caribbean and South Pacific scuba diving.
Thanks, John K
Kalimniosjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 17:25   #2

Re: Endeavor 51 info

Don't have experience with the 51 but they made a great boat and continue too. I love the 32 and might be my next boat.

Are many 51's on the market? Is their an owners group?
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 17:39   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't own one. I have not sailed on the E 51 yet. So, take my comments below with a splash of salt water.

But, I spent some time (a month 2,500 miles in the Pacific) sailing an Endeavour 37 from Hawaii to California. So, "an Endeavour" can cross an ocean or go "Bluewater" even if it is not really designed for more than coastal cruising.

I often recommend the Endeavour 32 and 37 to folks looking for an inexpensive (now about $15K - $30K), roomy used boat that size. I spent some time looking at the specs for the larger boats too (40, 43, and 51). Long ago I seriously considered buying a E43 for a liveaboard.

My general impression is that the Endeavour brand is a "middle market" brand with some nice features for use in Florida (lots of opening portlights, good head room, several hatches, lots of teak in the interior, including parquet teak cabin sole (flooring), "stout" hull designs, and construction quality that is "average" for that time (I looked at boats built in 1980s). In car terms, sorta like a Chevrolet Chevelle or a Suburban: comfortable but not a high performance model and not a sexy beast or head turner.

There is an Endeavour Owners Group online.
Here is a PDF file of the E51 brochure, that gives the details of construction and features.

http://www.endeavourowners.com/boats...51brochure.pdf

NOTE: It has a balsa core deck (not unusual) AND a balsa core hull (something that some CF members will not want).

IF you have questions or need info about "Balsa Core" hulls, there is info and opinions found in the CF archives, as it is a common concern. Some other builders made boats with balsa core hulls too, and they were popular and hundreds were built.

Also note the mast height on some of the boats may be too high for the ICW, and that the draft on at least one E51 was note as 8.5' which would prevent easy travel on the ICW. Some featured a wing keel with draft about 6'. Some have a tall mast (66') that would prevent easy travel on the ICW.

The ones I saw had two centerline double (island) berths. One had bucket chairs in the saloon. So, there are no easy "pilot berths" or "sea berths." You can work around that.

As with any boat, a good survey by a professional surveyor is suggested.

Hope that helps. Good luck on your boat hunt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3594.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	145860  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 18:04   #4

Thanks steady hand for all the info! It was very helpful. Here's a quick update. We decided to make an offer. Ended up going back and forth a couple times on price and finally came to a mutually agreeable price. Now to find a surveyor. Who can recommend one near Tampa fl?
Old 07-05-2017, 08:03   #5

Update #2

Boat was surveyed Friday by Marc from Taylor marine surveying. He did a great job and I'd recommend him to anyone. He did find a couple hiccups though but nothing too serious to keep us from buying the boat.

Negotiations came to a close last night and it seems all that's left to do is paperwork. Let the hard work getting her cruise ready begin
Old 07-05-2017, 19:01   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalimniosjohn View Post
Update #2

Boat was surveyed Friday by Marc from Taylor marine surveying. He did a great job and I'd recommend him to anyone. He did find a couple hiccups though but nothing too serious to keep us from buying the boat.

Negotiations came to a close last night and it seems all that's left to do is paperwork. Let the hard work getting her cruise ready begin
Congratulations!
And Fair Winds!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote