Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2018, 07:01   #1

Endeavour 24ft, over long voyages.

Hello folks,

I am the owner of an (AUS) Endeavour 24 MKII, of which the Australian forums offer little active discussion about, and although this is a US site, I have assumed that given the vastness of knowledge when combining many sailors I may find what i'm looking for.

I am a young sailor of 27 and have recently returned from 9 months crewing on various types of old and new monohull yachts. Two years prior to beginning my crewing experience I purchased my E24, and I am seeking to find answers, or at least insights, to the following questions (feel free to suggest more accurate questioning):

1. Who has taken an E24 or similar on long ocean passages?
2. What limitations, benefits and insights could you provide on the vessel and upgradeds/refits that worked or didn't?
3. I am planning to replace the stock rigging with 6mm cable and reinforced chainplates. Are there any downsides to this modfication?
4. Would a windvane or autotiller be more suitable?

I have many other questions, but am just hopeful to create a useful dialogue, as I am new to this forum.

Thank you and fair winds and seas to you all.

SVSTELLA
SVSTELLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 09:06   #2

Re: Endeavour 24ft, over long voyages.

Hi
What do you mean by long voyages? Ocean passages have been done in boats a lot less than an E24.

I did east and north Australia and Indonesia in the 90s. Some of my info can be found http://www.endeavour.asn.au/forum/po...p?TOPIC_ID=277

I carried food and water for a month or two but was only ever a few hundred miles away from some sort of anchorage (however remote).

I found the E24 very easy to handle and safe in the trades. Nowdays I have a 35 foot Bene in Greece and the E24 was easier to single hand.
BTW my wife likes that the bathroom on the Bene is about the same size as the enitre E24 cabin .

Following are some of my tips FYI.

Good luck!
Andrew

2nd autopilot - had one fail so 2nd had internal control box to avoid tropical rain. Wind vane no good for the light wind in the tropics.

Broke boom gooseneck and used storm trisail for a day. Cordless drill needed to re-drill/reinforce.

Sail repair needles, twine, rings, hanks, etc.

Lots of sika for plugging leaks (stanchions, windows).

Lots of gaffer tape for taping front hatch to stop leaks on long trips.

Lower rudder bearing replaced with nylon bush in Indonesia.

Little 3hp outboard , 1l/hr from internal tank doing 4knots on flat water. 4x20l Jerry cans gives about 300 miles range.
Same outboard used on inflatable.

Inflatable towed with its bow lashed to top of stern rail so only the feet drag in the water.

Storm jib, #3, #2, #1, small spinnaker, big spinnaker. Main with 1 flattening reef and 2 deep reefs. Small boat you need to drive hard to get anywhere!
azul_b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
endeavour