Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2017, 12:09   #16

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Equipment Trailer for Boat

It's safe if the trailor can carry the load, you secure it well enough, have a vehicle capable of towing it, and drive carefully.

I agree that I would either weld jack stands directly to the trailer frame or have a cradle made, welded.

You could in fact find an older trailer frame; you don't need the flatbed part, in fact you probably want to strip it off to weld on the stands/cradle. Would be cheaper than a newer "equipment" trailer in better condition. Check/clean/repack the bearings, throw on some new tires, and you'd be good to go.

One the boat is at the marina you might want to keep the trailer; when you need to haul the boat for repairs/whatever, you won't have to pay for blocking and storage...just put the boat on your trailer and take it home.

Do make sure you measure the height of the boat once it's on the trailer and plan your route when you transport it with bridge heights in mind. More than a few folks who've done what you're considering have turned boats into convertibles by not paying attention to that little issue.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 13:31   #17

Hi I have a sailboat trailer for sale not bay Canada
6k US.
Best trailer I ever owned . Had my 36 foot Morgan in it and a 41 foot Benet eat.
If interested let me know.
Chawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 16:19   #18
Marine Service Provider

Lot's of good ideas about the trailer here, but just as important is the power, load rating and suspension design of the truck you're going to use to pull it. Think large diesel, rated at at least one ton, with appropriate towing capacity for the loaded trailer. If the suspension is less than rock stiff, you're going to keep going straight when you come to the first bend. A light truck pulling a heavy trailer is probably the most dangerous combination on the highway.

Good luck and take care
John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Group
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 12:45   #19

Thanks for the input everyone. The boat I'm looking at also an Alberg 30, like the one in the pictures. I'm still deciding whether to purchase it, but I'll not likely transport it this way. It's just a little too far for my comfort. If it were only 20 miles I'd probably do it, but the distance combined with the slightly overwidth aspect makes me lean toward going with the professionals.
dgp9794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 15:43   #20

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Ah, Alberg 30. Pretty close to 10,000# plus the weight of the trailer so I'd look for a triple axle trailer, not just to handle the weight but because it will track very well too. For the sake of reference, there was one of those for sale some time back locally on craigslist(southern California) built for a sail boat, with electric brakes, like new, for $5000. I am not sure about your roads, but I don't think there should be a problem with a width of under 9'. You may need a permit and flags/sign. However, I understand the desire to let professionals do it too. Great boat by the way, IMHO.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, equipment, trailer