Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2012, 05:48   #1

Boat: Islander 28
Ericson 32

It's Sunday morning and I'm on my way to look at a '69 E32. I've tried to do some diligent research over the last several days but really need some owner input. Yes I've looked on the website and googled and looked at the popular for sale sites but the pickens are slim on info for this model. I'm aware of basic problems for this age boat, however, sailing characteristics etc would be great. Thanks for looking and again first hand knowledge would be very helpful. Thanks.
Old 27-02-2012, 09:39   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42
Re: Ericson 32

I live in Seattle but my family in Chicago has a 1972 Ericson 32 that I learned to sail on. Pretty sure they are the same model. My source (wiki) says 1969 to 1978 they were built. Anyhow, we love ours. Easily balanced helm and we really clean up on Wednesday night beercan races. Course we had the boat forever and know her. Points reasonably well. The aft steering area can be a pita if the blackflies are out on Lake Michigan. They sit back there and just chew you up! The little window that opens in the head is a big leaker. The core is soggy on the deck by this window. It will be unless the PO fixed it. Our Atomic 4 is great in our boat and has OK access.
All depends on what you what from the boat. Race? Cruise? Combo or the two? How many people you got?
Well built boat. Get a good surveyor!
Hooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 14:36   #3

Boat: Islander 28

Thanks for the reply. I did look at it and was very dissapointed. Boat has been seriously neglected, sad. Mast step was compressed about 3", cockpit floor spongey, heavy crazing topsides (needs repainting), running rigging probably all needs replacing. Standing rigging probably needs replacing
I just got overwhelmed when looking at it. He's only asking 5k (atomic 4), but it's just way to much work for what I'm looking for. Everything, everywhere neglected.
Old 27-02-2012, 14:40   #4

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42

Just sucks when people don't take care of what they have. Keep looking. Now is a fine time to buy a boat. That is what we are doing!
Hooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 14:51   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Don't give up. The right boat in great condition will find you.
kind regards,