Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2009, 10:01   #1

Boat: Oday '22 "Three Sheets"
Ex-Charter Yacht for Lake Sailing?

I've got 10ft-itis and I'm looking at boats in the 30-34ft range for weekend sailing on a lake for the next 7 years, and then cruising the Caribbean for a year(I'll be retired) before upgrading again. I want this boat to be able to handle a year of cruising so that when I upgrade I'll have a much better idea about what equipment I'll need/not need in my next boat. I'm also guessing that most of the mistakes I make will come in my first year of cruising, and I'd rather have my old boat be the victim. My max. budget is about $70K.

I've seen charter boats for sail (beneteaus, jeneaus) that are only 4-5yrs. old and within my price range. They seem to have heavy engine hours but I won't be using the engine much on the lake. Also, the equipment on them is over and above what I'll need for the lake. I won't have to buy any new gear as long as everything is functional. Do any of you have any experience with buying ex-charter yachts? Does my idea seem reasonable or are these boats too risky/beat up? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Dave
MarineHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 18:12   #2

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
The comments people make about this have been on my mind lately. I've owned 4 cruising boats, one of which is a 33-Beneteau in charter with the moorings. I also recently purchased a Hunter 30. The Hunter was in above average shape for privately owned boats I've seen. Still, I just spent 5 days of 12-hour days working on her and barely scratched what needs to be done.

I just arrived in Tortola where I keep my Moorings boat. - There's nothing to do on it since it needs to be maintained to charter standards. That's why I'm chatting here. I do think charter boats get more wear and hard use than many privately owned boats, but I think what most people neglect to mentioned is that this is balanced by continual upkeep to coastal cruising standards. Many privately owned boats have been much more neglected. You should shoot Mark on here an e-mail. He purchased an ex charter boat and sailed it across the Pacific - I believe with little work on the boat.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:40   #3

thanks nautical 62. I thought there might be a decent compromise between heavy use and good maintenance. I'm curious what numerous groundings/docking accidents over time can do to the lifespan of a boat.

Later this month I'm chartering a '36 jeneau for a week in the abacos, so I'll make sure to look around and ask alot of questions.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:21   #4

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Enjoy the Abacos. I trade time there often. Some images on my webpage below if you need any ideas.

The one disadvantage I can think of regarding purchasing ex charter boats is that most are in the Caribbean. If you are looking in the 70K range, you need to ask yourself if the costs of trips there - flights, lodging, etc is worth it.

The Footloose fleet is made up mostly of boats whose Moorings or Sunsail contract have expired - many of which are or will soon be for sale. You may be able to find out which ones are for sale and charter it for a week. If you charter anyways, you are at least sharing the cost of a cruising vacation with boat research that way. I wish I had the opporunity to actually sail the boats I've purchased for more than a short sea trial prior to purchasing them.

I'd think damage to groundings would likely be uncovered by a survey. What you might consider as well is an engine evaluation. I'm sure many charter guests run them too hard and many surveyors only check engine basics.

Also, I don't know what your time frame is, but I'll be selling my 32.5 Beneteau at the end of charter in 2 years. I could arrange a very cheap week "charter" for you to evaluate it.

Also, I'm down here in Tortola every summer this time, so if you ever want me to give a Footloose boat for sale a quick once over, I'd most likely be happy to do so I'm about 100 yards from their marina now.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 13:01   #5

Thanks Dave,

I appreciate the offer and advice. I do have some questions about charter boats. Do you think ex-charter boats are less expensive than non-charter boats of the same yr. because they are in substantially worse condition, or do they suffer from the stigma of having been chartered? Probably a little of both. Are new boats that go directly into charter service built to the same standards as others? Are boats sold to charter companies essentially the same as those sold to individuals? Your insight is greatly appreciated.