Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2020, 09:28   #1

Boat: 1980 Cape Dory '27
Exterior oiled teak - glue for wood plugs?

Reinstalling a piece of trim that previously was varnished. The wood plugs were locked in by the varnish but I've stripped the wood and will be oiling. Question is, for the wooden plugs should I use something like Titebond Exterior wood glue to hold them in or should I go with something stronger like epoxy since it's on a boat?
mikebikeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 10:10   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Exterior oiled teak - glue for wood plugs?

Bungs are typically held in place using varnish, not glue. This allows you to remove them without destroying the wood that the screws are holding.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 10:14   #3

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon

I've done some professional / custom woodworking in my past. All of the wood glues, even those which are rated "water resistant" such at Titebond II, are not for use outdoors. There's a Vlog on youtube about a couple who just had a cabinetmaker fabricate new cabinetry for their boat and he used some brand of yellow carpenters glue on half lap joints for the doors. The wood working was good, the choice of glue bad, the decision to not use any mechanical means to hold the joints together worst of all. In my opinion, the doors will fail within a year from moisture. Once they do, they will just disassemble themselves leaving the once proud owners with a pile of nicely shaped and cut wood bits instead of cabinet doors.

Moral of the story: For plugs, use either epoxy or varnish as an adhesive and wipe off any squeeze out before oiling. Be aware that either will cause a color variation in the surrounding wood even after being wiped off if you don't lightly scuff sand back to raw wood before oiling.
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 12:08   #4

Ahh, so if I understand correctly, I oughta use varnish as the glue. Great, didn't know that. Thanks!
Old 26-09-2020, 08:01   #5

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebikeboy View Post
Ahh, so if I understand correctly, I oughta use varnish as the glue. Great, didn't know that. Thanks!
And be careful with the chisel when you cut them off flush, gouges don't sand out.

A scary sharp chisel is a joy to use. Semi-sharp or dull chisels make more work for you to fix.
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 09:07   #6

Boat: Hunter 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebikeboy View Post
Reinstalling a piece of trim that previously was varnished. The wood plugs were locked in by the varnish but I've stripped the wood and will be oiling. Question is, for the wooden plugs should I use something like Titebond Exterior wood glue to hold them in or should I go with something stronger like epoxy since it's on a boat?
Had a guy use glue and when we had to remove the plugs the surrounding wood was damaged even when carefully drilling them out!

I use a dab of varnish. If plug fits tight, should do the job.
ilanortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 11:05   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Old resusinal wood glue.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 11:14   #8

Boat: Catalina 30

I've always used Titebond. I also cut my bungs short and tap them into place flush. Occasionally I'll have to sand them a tad. Never had an issue with them.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 12:54   #9

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue. My boatbuilder used it extensively, as did I while completing the boat. I put every plug in the deck with it back in 1979, and again when I refastened the deck in 2005. You do not want to use epoxy as the plugs will be impossible to remove without damage to the surrounding wood, and will require hard work and great care. Weldwood sets up hard and a bit brittle, so when removing a plug it breaks out. I have rarely had water get under a plug, but of course it does occasionally happen with any solution; with Weldwood it is easy to remove and replace. It is the sweet spot between too strong an adhesive and too weak.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 17:52   #10

CaptVR here, you may here a lot, and many may work. I've built 6 boats, rebuilt and refastened 100 over my 74 years.
What has wotked for me from varnished mahoganies to oiled teak decks to interior soles. Use plain old Capt's Spar Varnish. After a couple days drying, trim bungs as needed and oil or varnish. Oiling teak has no effect on the bungs set with varnish. You will be so thankful for this info when you need to remove the bungs for what ever reason.
Some times old school remains the best way, like the old saying - Dont fix it if it's not broken.
I'm not saying anyone's recommendations are not good. I'm saying my way works 100% of the time, regardless of varying impetus and or corrections for any future problems. I will say, never use epoxy, trying to remove bungs will normally result in damaging surrounding wood.
Take Care All.... Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret. MS St. Pete., Fl.
CF32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 18:01   #11

Hi All, forgot a useful tip. Take a shallow butter / margarine container, put about an 1/8" of varnish in it and set bungs down in it. Then just pull them out and insert them, no need to try and coat each one individually.

Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret. MS
Old 26-09-2020, 18:10   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Old resusinal wood glue.
I think your talking about " resrcinol " wood glue. It is a two part urea glue that's been used in boats and aircraft for 80 +- years. But like epoxy, when set it is very difficult to remove bungs without leaving chunks down inside the holes. I would not recommend it.
Capt. Vince Rakstis Ret. MS St.Petersburg, Fl.
Old 26-09-2020, 20:22   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF32907 View Post
CaptVR here, you may here a lot, and many may work. I've built 6 boats, rebuilt and refastened 100 over my 74 years.
What has wotked for me from varnished mahoganies to oiled teak decks to interior soles. Use plain old Capt's Spar Varnish. After a couple days drying, trim bungs as needed and oil or varnish. Oiling teak has no effect on the bungs set with varnish. You will be so thankful for this info when you need to remove the bungs for what ever reason.
Some times old school remains the best way, like the old saying - Dont fix it if it's not broken.
I'm not saying anyone's recommendations are not good. I'm saying my way works 100% of the time, regardless of varying impetus and or corrections for any future problems. I will say, never use epoxy, trying to remove bungs will normally result in damaging surrounding wood.
Take Care All.... Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret. MS St. Pete., Fl.
Thanks Cap'n VR !
Old 27-09-2020, 00:14   #14

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

First off i wouldn't oil the Teak if exterior, because it attracts dirt, ect, goes black over time, best to leave it natural or varnish,plug with varnish.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 07:46   #15

Boat: Hunter 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
First off i wouldn't oil the Teak if exterior, because it attracts dirt, ect, goes black over time, best to leave it natural or varnish,plug with varnish.
Excellent comment; In my previous statement I completely lost sight of the forest for the trees; External oiling not a good idea. Varnish or natural is the real decision here.
ilanortho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, plug, teak