Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2013, 16:06   #91
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Fake Boats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Beneteau US is in SC. Lately the scuttlebutt is that they build a better boat in SC than in France. But again, that's just scuttlebutt. At least the electrics are decent over here. The scantlings are the same, how is one better than the other?
Same problem as Hunter 'used?' to have.. if it needs a 1/2 inch screw they used a quarter inch.. barely 2 turns past the ply.. and on the door hinges etc.. as to the specs.. maybe they changed but the 87 Bene had backing pads whereas the 2001 had the washers referred to in previous posts.. and apologies for getting the state wrong.. that was the headquarters for Moorings who I bought the boat from..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 16:18   #92
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Fake Boats?

Loved the Chistmas Fairy Tale and story disquised as Adam Smith would say, the invisible hand of Market Forces.

The customer is always right and always gets what he wants, EVEN when he really has no idea of what he needs!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 16:26   #93

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Same problem as Hunter 'used?' to have.. if it needs a 1/2 inch screw they used a quarter inch.. barely 2 turns past the ply.. and on the door hinges etc.. as to the specs.. maybe they changed but the 87 Bene had backing pads whereas the 2001 had the washers referred to in previous posts.. and apologies for getting the state wrong.. that was the headquarters for Moorings who I bought the boat from..
I haven't found that in my 2004 Bene. What I have found is that the standard fittings are adequate, not over speced but adequate. The standard furler is too small, in my opinion, but it works. My boat came with upgraded primary winches, they are great but it's an upgrade. The sheet/halyard winch (there is only one) is too small. Another winch is an upgrade. My wife has a helluva time grinding me up with it. But these things are add ons when you order a boat. Just check the boxes on all the upgrades. Most other parts of the boat are as expected in a mass produced boat. I have not found any deficiencies in the build in the interior, hinges, locks, cupboards etc. all fine. The whole interior woodwork package come from France for every boat. The hull, hardware and electrical system and excellent fridge are all US and very satisfactory.
Old 26-12-2013, 17:03   #94
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I sold that Bene...

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
Old 26-12-2013, 18:26   #95

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
A big chunk of my sea time was spent on a real boat. 760' long, 180' beam, 60' of freeboard and a crown over 200' off the water. Rode out a micro burst on it once. Pretty hairy. Did the edges of Katrina. Not as bad.

Our plastic boats are just toys. Mother Nature rules.

It is like taking pride in being the tallest midget.
Gotta love these guys arguing about who is the tallest midget.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 00:23   #96

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Double Whiskey,

Your myth and comments are too long to repost. [Opp here for"riposte" Surely not] Just to say that we understand incapable boats are being built, but till the death come, no one will pay attention. Sorry.

I hope you heal fast and well from what has befallen you. Good luck with it, Tomascz.

With good wishes for the New Year,

Ann
Old 27-12-2013, 01:44   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
We understand incapable boats are being built, but till the death come, no one will pay attention. Sorry.

I hope you heal fast and well from what has befallen you. Good luck with it, Tomascz.

With good wishes for the New Year,

Ann
Thank You for attention and care, Ann
Wanted to put opinion regarding the thread topic straightforwardly, but realized it can be against this board general "be nice" rule. May be it was better to just tell a fairytale, not to get the thread closed
By the way, I'm just jealous for You Aussiess
You seem to have better boats, better cruising grounds and even - if some here are right - better anchors
Surely, You can sail in sun for Christmas! And only my landlubbing sister is living in Australia - not me! Simply unfair!
Have a very happy New Year - fair winds all around,

Tomasz
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 05:42   #98

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

It's funny, here we are opining about the ability of production boats while quite a few people here own older, better quality boats, of course few of the people here could have afforded one of them brand new since they were economically out of reach when new. I'll plead guilty to that one, then again, most of the boats I've owned I could never have bought new, which is why I've bought older and higher quality when I could. Of course that also means I've become quite "handy" since I had to buy something which required substantial work for me to afford that quality of yacht.
I'm fortunate, I was a skilled tradesman (Journeyman Millwright) before going back to college and also built custom cars and motorcycles before getting into larger boats (always had a boat of some type since 10 years old). This allowed me to buy better quality and take on the repairs that made that boat "affordable", so to speak. Unfortunately not everyone has that ability, so going to the production boat market may be their only avenue to being on the water, within the budget they have. The knowledge and experience will come with time on the water, better judgement follows, hopefully.
Sooo...that said, would it be prudent to point out some examples of production boats capable of bluewater cruising with some modification? Just to expand the possibilities of a wider audience who may not have the money or mechanical skill to do major refitting right off the bat?
Lets face it, if you didn't have the ability to work on a boat in the beginning, you will gain it over time, or you'll be priced out of it.
What were the "gateway" boats that got most of the members here into the pursuit? Kind of like a gateway drug.
Damn, I started sailing the NE coast in an open 18' wooden day sailor with a handheld compass, if I knew then what I know now I would have never done that, but I survived and had a hell of a time doing it. I remind myself of that when I get a butterflies in my stomach when going to sea in a 47' cruiser.
At least I don't have to bail this boat with a cut up bleach bottle.
What production models do you all think are capable? There has been lots of talk about those that aren't, how bout some that are?
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 06:10   #99
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

The one's that are... Man.. That's as much subject to personal opinion as the ones that are not...
Personally I'd say that 80% of the Marque's are with another 10% possibles... just because I knock Bene's to give the Hunters a break does not mean I consider them incapable.. I've trans oceaned in both of the above... and as a delivery skipper I get to sail boats thousands of miles that many on here would not sail the 80 miles from the UK to France..
I remember the amazement of some UK cruisers as I brought my Tiki 26 into Cherbourg one summer... " You crossed the Channel in That... your mad..!!"
Its amazing what a boat can be capable off achieving...

Old 27-12-2013, 06:29   #100

Boat: O'Day 28

The bleach bottle bailer has grown into a full-size boat.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 06:32   #101

Boat: Skookum 53'

boatman 61, surviving a delivery is quite different than long term ocean going. I am sure you know that. Having done so many deliveries you have a unique perspective from experiencing so many different kinds of boats. I haven't had the benefit of your experience, so I tend to stick with what I am sure works for me. I've had to perform a lot of work on the refit, but being a lifer boat guy, I am not afraid to tackle any repair or refit, except an injector pump on a diesel engine, I turn that over to the pros.
Old 27-12-2013, 06:40   #102
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
boatman 61, surviving a delivery is quite different than long term ocean going. I am sure you know that. Having done so many deliveries you have a unique perspective from experiencing so many different kinds of boats. I haven't had the benefit of your experience, so I tend to stick with what I am sure works for me. I've had to perform a lot of work on the refit, but being a lifer boat guy, I am not afraid to tackle any repair or refit, except an injector pump on a diesel engine, I turn that over to the pros.
Naah Mate.. just need to be INSANE....

Old 27-12-2013, 06:49   #103

Boat: Skookum 53'

If I weren't crazy, I would go insane!
Old 27-12-2013, 06:59   #104

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
If I weren't crazy, I would go insane!
Let's drink to that!