Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2010, 20:28   #1

Boat: C&C 38'
Falls and Spills and Women

My wife was stepping from the boat to the dock. She fell and broke her left wrist. She also has numerous scrapes and bruises,
We have been to E R's and we have seen Doctors. We will know next week if surgery is going to be required.
She was taking a ASA sailing class to learn how to be a good crew on a sailboat. She is doing this because she wants me to be able to enjoy what is my dream and my hobby. So she is trying to learn and she is pushing herself way past her comfort limits because she loves me.
That she hurt herself hurts me. I wish that I could help her out. You know – get her a hook and duct tape it to her cast for pulling herself on board or something like that.
I already told her that she did not have to to the laundry. She helped me sort it and I loaded it in the car and took it to my sister-in-law. The sister-in-law is out of the hospital and not working right now. I also took her the soap and bleach and all that other stuff women use for laundry.
I also told my darling wife that she did not have to do the meal planning, cooking, marketing or clean up. I helped her get an appreciation of camp cooking. She is just going to have to learn to like peppers in dishes more. I also bought her some ice cream. She loves ice cream. I even dip it up for her and carry her bowl to the sink when she is done.
She is not supposed to get her cast wet. I wrap a towel covered by a plastic bag around her left arm and tie it to an overhead fan. Then I wash her down like she was a tiny little car and dry her off while she stands in the dog's bath bucket. It works real well and it is fun too!

Have others of you dealt with wives with a broken bone? Have you got any advice for me?
Old 15-07-2010, 20:59   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I'm sorry to hear about your wifes injuries. I wish her a speedy recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Sailer View Post
Have you got any advice for me?
Yes, become a good house husband, give her all the loving and attention she needs and perhaps consider doing at least some of the laundry and cooking after she is healed as well. She is being a good sport with your desires.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 23:43   #3

Boat: PETERSON 44
While cruising upon our Tri a f27 which had a convienat head between the crux of the v berth the misses extricated herself from the seat and convienantly used the above hatch to extend herself fully upright. As convience and fate met her head entered a space between hatch and deck and the seas found our bow. I could only watch as the hatch lifted, her head rose in unison bobbed and then hatch deck and skull collided in horrific unison. This proceed through several movements and orchestrations and continued while the bow plowed into wake. Neither hatch misses deck nor wake could pull themselves from the moment it just kept going.it all ended in a larger boat. She then proceeded to wash herself down while on the larger boat with the anchor chaiin salt water rinse hose pulverizing a jelly fish into a toxic mush and imersing herself in the brine. Sometimes she sails with me lately it's harder to find the moments.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 23:58   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage
Jeez! You guys sure know how to give your lady a good time! Buy a cook book and follow the instructions if you don't want to die nastily from a diet of beans....

How difficult is it to work a washing machine???? Or are you like my brother in law who at 44 years old still gets his mother to do his laundry for him?
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 00:04   #5

Boat: PETERSON 44
Hey I bust suds in a bucket and hang the laundy on the life lines. What the hell is a washing machine?
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 02:50   #6

Cowboy Sailer - a washing machine isn't that hard to use. There is usually one setting that you can shove ANYTHING in and it will get clean. Ask your wife what setting to use. My wife trained me. On ours it is programme number 4 and set temperature to 40C. It works for everything. If you can sail a boat, surely you can stuff clothes in a machine, put powder in a slot, turn a dial and press the ON switch.

As for cooking - nothing to it. Most meats, chops, sausages, etc can be cooked on a grill. Set it to "medium heat" and turnover when the cooking side is dark brown. After the second side is dark brown, cut one in half to see it is cooked through. How hard is that? Maybe invest in the UK's cooking guru's book

Delia's How to Cook Book One: Amazon.co.uk: Delia Smith, Miki Duisterhof (Photographer): Books
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 02:57   #7

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Sorry to hear that your wife broke her wrist, accidents can happen to all of us.

What I dont understand is this line - 'I also took her the soap and bleach and all that other stuff women use for laundry.'

Women use for laundry?

Men dont run round naked, so men also have laundry, so men should share the responsibility for that laundry, at ALL times, not just when the spouse is incapacitated.

I guess your lives are more traditional and have that 'his jobs and her jobs' mentality.

Let this be a wake up call for you to look foward and prepare for what the future may hold. No one is fit and able for ever, nor indeed do they live forever.

SHare and share alike. It seems like shes shouldering a lot of the work and now also making a big sacrifice by trying to accomodate your interest.

Cooking and laundering is the least you can do, so do it willingly and silently.

I hope she recovers soon.
Old 16-07-2010, 04:01   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
What the hell is a washing machine?
What the hell is a woman????
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 04:03   #9
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
I wish that I could help her out. You know – get her a hook and duct tape it to her cast for pulling herself on board or something like that.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 04:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Men dont run round naked, so men also have laundry,
On that basis, ironing was invented by women. I would happily wear a rumpled shirt. My ironing technique is to hang them as soon as they come out of the dryer. More than good enough!
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 07:01   #11

Boat: Exuma, Bahamas, seaview cottage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Men dont run round naked....
Hmmm, on sailboat with wife many, many miles from anywhere. I fail to se the purpose of clothing.
kevin7500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 08:49   #12
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin7500 View Post
Hmmm, on sailboat with wife many, many miles from anywhere. I fail to se the purpose of clothing.
how about keeping your we-we from getting sunburned
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 09:51   #13

Boat: Rou-Coo is a 16 ft Canoe. A big Sister is in the planning stages!
Quote:
That she hurt herself hurts me. I wish that I could help her out. You know – get her a hook and duct tape it to her cast for pulling herself on board or something like that.

Have others of you dealt with wives with a broken bone? Have you got any advice for me?
I disagree with this idea. If you're really thoughtful you would tape a winch handle to the cast so she can still help you sail.
Rou-Coo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 09:56   #14

Good luck with that.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 11:08   #15

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
OMG, LMAo ROTFL
you're killing me here. I'm almost in tears reading this stuff...

I really like the part about the overhead fan, and doggie bath tub....

LOL, LOL, LOL