Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 22:12   #1

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Feltz Skorpion 11A, 39' Aluminum Sloop

Hi mateys, I am in langkawi and looking at a 39' feltz skorpion 11a, 1991, alloy hull , with a view to buy.
Can you please tell me if they are good sailers, will they point into the wind, I haven't had a test sail yet and I did not want to buy a sailing bathtub! She only has 1.5m draft and a 3/4 keel, good ballast ratio and factory built in hamburg.
What is their motion like? Would you reccommend one for cruising and liveaboard in Malaysia, Indonesian tropical waters?
Homepage von feltzskorpion
Thanks from Keith
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	at anchor.jpg
Views:	884
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	23457   Click image for larger version

Name:	at sail.jpg
Views:	994
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	23458  

Click image for larger version

Name:	plan.jpg
Views:	2595
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	23459  
Old 02-02-2011, 22:16   #2

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
trading up ??

Like shaft angle

Topless model in the cabin was a bit hairy for my liking !!!
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 22:20   #3

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Yep downunder, going for an alloy hull, stronger, last one got a hole in it from the coral reef! what do you think about the longish, shallow keel, I am told she will point 60 degrees true wind and do 7 knots in 20 knots of wind, is this a good pointing angle? It will go to 45 dgrees but only do 5 knots in the same conditions and make leewwy.
Keith.
Old 02-02-2011, 22:49   #4

Keith,

I am not qualified to comment on sailing aspects of monohulls and whilst I am an experienced motor boat person over barrier reef and coral sea, i have no sailing experience, yet. I have been extensively researching catamarans for my future to dive coral sea, PNG West Papua up to Thailand. Might catch up someday in the future.

Certainly looks tidy, roomy, good galley, ideal shaft angle, good draft and being alloy can take a ding. Is machinery and electrics in good condition and readily accessible? Looks well built.

certainly has plenty extras for cruising in comfort and at right price?

Can't help with the sailability aspects.

cheers

john
Old 03-02-2011, 01:12   #5

Boat: private yacht always moving
Like the boat but the model has got to go,,,, might want to consider a topless female model in its place,,,, she would look better in the same poses,,, do like the boat,,,,
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:07   #6

Avast Downunder and KJ, yes, the hairy model does not come with the boat, nor does his 28 year old girl friend, I asked!
Yes, it has excellent recent electronics and electrics, plus a camping cover for the cockpit, with the fold down dodger extension, excellent anchoring systems from the bow or helm, no chain pile up with 90m of 10mm s/steel chain, older mercedes, sole, marinised, new batteries, bat cars on the main, all good.
I was just worried that she would sail like a pig and have to be 60 degrees off of the wind to get anywhere, I do like to sail to windward when I can, as the wind always seems to be coming from where I want to go!
Are these a well known design and well respected? Seems to be a few for sale in europe.
Thanks for your replies!!
Old 03-02-2011, 07:17   #7

Boat: private yacht always moving
Any photos of the 28 year old girlfriend by chance
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:26   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Interesting design. Is there good engine access? I would not want to tear apart my bedding just to check the oil.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 15:01   #9

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
If you like aluminum (I do), I'd also take a look at this one. It's in your area and built by a great yard in France. Price seems good too, for aluminum.

1998 Meta France Outremer 37 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 03-02-2011, 17:23   #10

Ahoy Doodles, that one sold months ago, the brokers dont mark them as sold!!
Chris, it does not have terrific engine access, although you can change the oil with a pump and the filter comes off easily and no spillage, raw water filter is at the top, whole motor can be lifted out in 1 hour through the removable cockpit floor.
Has access from 3 sides and you can climb into the keel space at the rear to get to the dripless seal.
Has steering rod, car style, connection from the helm to the rudder stock, 1" s/steel shaft!
It a sole diesel, a marinised ohc mercedes diesel, 3800 hrs, trouble free so far?
Downunder, I hope that we do meet up somewhere in the tropics, all my pictures of the girlfriend are a bit blurry as the autofocus has given up!
How do these type of keels sail?
Cheers from Keith.
Old 03-02-2011, 21:24   #11

Can' help on the sailing but looks good at right price.

Try another thread along lines

"how do these hulls sail" without specifying vessel till they open thread.

The sailors will not be able to help themselves checking out the thread. Start it also at time europeans would be on line.

cheers
Old 03-02-2011, 21:35   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Do you do engine maintenance standing on your head? That engine looks awfully low to have decent access.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 19:12   #13

Homepage von zwaantje
Hi Downunder, found some pictures of stefani!
Old 04-02-2011, 19:27   #14

Ahoy Deep, you need to be a snake to get down along side the engine, it is a drawback, for sure, but not too often with a merc, I hope?
I really like the fact that you can stow 80m of 10mm stainless chain when weighing anchor without having to push the pile down, and it has remotes on leads at the bow and cockpit, with a 32Kg bugel? anchor and 1500watt reversible anchor windlass, very important to me.
No holes in the deck, apart from hatches, to leak, all welded thru hulls, 8mm alloy plate fully protected rudder and prop, batt cars sliders on the main, big, comfy beds, 2 huge doubles, can sleep sideways or longways, crew cabin with 3/4 berth, aqualungs, dive compressor, swim platform, new 170 watt sola panels, new agm batteries, gennaker in a sock, flat deck with treadmaster, watermaker, 2 dingies, geman wind pilot, new radar and instruments, but not u shaped galley, straight, has nearly 50% ballast ratio, but only 1.5m draft.
It stands head and shoulders above all the rest I have seen, but worried that it will sail like a pig?
Cheers from Keith.
Old 04-02-2011, 20:34   #15

Boat: Trismus 37
I would say go for it, I have an alloy boat and love it, my hull is 5mm would be happier with your 8mm though, the 1,5m is a compromise but I would expect it to do better than 60', one lesson that is necessary with shoal draft is to reef early as excessive heel slows you down and adds to the leeway. Plus you have the iron top sail down below if required. I note that it has appears to have a solent stay as well, great idea, stops chafe when sailing and tacking with a large genoa. There is will be no shortage of 28 year olds to assist once you have bought her.
Good Luck!
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sloop