Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2014, 20:25   #1

Fender Management Recommendations

I have a Catalina 36, and I'm trying to determine a good strategy for the fenders. We're currently using relatively small fenders that fit in the lazarett, but I'd like to start considering something better.

My preference would be a good way to secure them on either the lifelines, or stanchions, etc. The best I have so far would be to use fender baskets/racks/... on either the bow pulpit or the aft pulpit.

The aft pulpit is getting crowded (outboard, grill, emergency strobe, MOB pole, horseshoe, and lifesling), but I might be able to sneak them on the corners or just at the beginning. I'd be worried about visibility and interference with the sails if I use the bow pulpit.

Thoughts?

Thanks
kungfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 21:39   #2

Boat: Coast 34
Re: Fender Management Recommendations

We carry two fairly large and one medium sized fender on the aft pulpit. For times that we need more fenders we also carry two Easystow inflatable fenders and two Aere inflatable fenders. Both kinds of inflatable fenders can be blown up by mouth, but the Easystow ones, while not attractive, are used more frequently. They are really easy to blow up and extremely useful because they are a long, rather than rotund, shape. So we always have the ones on the pulpit for quick use and the inflatables in the aft locker for rafting, tricky docking situations, etc.

BTW, I think this topic has been addressed before in the forum. You might try a search.
Annie in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 22:23   #3

Re: Fender Management Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie in WA View Post
We carry two fairly large and one medium sized fender on the aft pulpit. For times that we need more fenders we also carry two Easystow inflatable fenders and two Aere inflatable fenders. Both kinds of inflatable fenders can be blown up by mouth, but the Easystow ones, while not attractive, are used more frequently. They are really easy to blow up and extremely useful because they are a long, rather than rotund, shape. So we always have the ones on the pulpit for quick use and the inflatables in the aft locker for rafting, tricky docking situations, etc.

BTW, I think this topic has been addressed before in the forum. You might try a search.
I made the mistake of using the forum's built-in search instead of googling with "site:cruisersforum.com".

I'll probably go with collective wisdom and have them secured (either lashed, or in baskets) to either the pulpit or the pushpit.

Thanks
kungfoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fender, men