Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 07:06   #736

Boat: Careel 22
Re: Ferro Cement Hulls ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts66 View Post
WOW!!! So, chicken mesh is still in and rebar is out! Good to know!

Thomas
In his book 'Ferro-cement Boats' Colin Brookes recommends "twisted wire mesh" (twisted chicken wire) NOT welded mesh. His book is available from www.hartley-boats.com
Colin says...An important feature of twisted wire mesh is that it can be sculptured. It can be shrunk and shaped to almost any contour...but it cannot be stretched.
So I guess that's why Hartley and Samson have been using twisted wire mesh in their designs/plans since 1938.

I said it before but I'll say it again Thomas. Go to www.hartley-boats.com and buy Colin Brooks book, it's the one titled 'Ferro-cement Boats' and it's chocker-block full of great information for builders and owners of Ferro-Cement boat/s, I'm sure you'll find it's a book well worth the money mate

It just hit me, if after 74 years in the boat design/building/selling boat plans game Hartley are still in business, and they are, still selling plans for FC Hartley and Samson boats, then they must be doing something right and people must still be buying the plans and building Hartley and Samson FC boats of all types. So perhaps the FC boat building game is not as dead as some folk would have us believe

Bill
Australia
Old 07-12-2011, 07:20   #737

thanks for the welcome and help. its not a endurance as its got a coach roof its very much like the c-crest but with a single mast and a bit more overhang aft
mitch57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:34   #738

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Bill, While Hartley plans have been on the market since 1938 these were for their range of plywood boats, not the Ferro boats, the Ferro designs of both Hartley and Sampson have probably only been available since the 1960s. I of course had a copy of the Hartley book on Ferro boatbuilding, i dont know if Colin Brookes book is just an update but the original book was excellent and i still think it would well worth a place on the bookshelf of a person building a larger boat in any material, the chapters on building wood cabin structures and interior fittout are as good as any book ive seen.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:05   #739

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
Bill, While Hartley plans have been on the market since 1938 these were for their range of plywood boats, not the Ferro boats, the Ferro designs of both Hartley and Sampson have probably only been available since the 1960s.
G'day Steve,
I was not aware of that, still, if it's 74 years or 44 years, I believe Hartley have been in the game of FC boats long enough to know what they're talking about, and I would believe them over any of the FC doom and gloom merchants. Hartley have always answered my questions promptly and to the point Btw, There are plenty of Hartley and Samson FC boats around Australia and New Zealand, I know they must be good vessels, that is if the builder has stuck to the plans The few I've looked at were good vessels but unfortunatly, they were not for sale. Still, I'm not ready to make my move just yet but when I am, you can bet Hartley and/or Samson will be top of my list
Quote:
I of course had a copy of the Hartley book on Ferro boatbuilding, i dont know if Colin Brookes book is just an update but the original book was excellent and i still think it would well worth a place on the bookshelf of a person building a larger boat in any material, the chapters on building wood cabin structures and interior fittout are as good as any book ive seen.
Steve.
I could not agree with you more Steve and yes, I believe Colin Brookes book is the latest up to date book on the subject of FC boat building/repairing. It too contains lots of information on building wood cabin structures and interior fittout, including drawers, cabinets, hatch covers and other items, along with all the other information on building/repairing FC boats. I consider the book to be a real DIY FC boat builder/repairers bible and, in mho, well worth the money and a must-have for anyone thinking of getting into a FC boat...Building or buying I don't know about the book you bought Steve but Colin even provides a section on buying a FC boat in his book.

Bill
Australia
Old 07-12-2011, 17:34   #740

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAU View Post
The few I've looked at were good vessels but unfortunatly, they were not for sale. Still, I'm not ready to make my move just yet but when I am, you can bet Hartley and/or Samson will be top of my list
Bill, you might also like to keep a lookout for the John Perry designed and built ferro Pinjara from the 1970s. He was Sydney-based.

There's a link to one below that needs heaps of work but it's likely to be well gone by now. There are others around.

They are about 41'4""LOA, sloop with flush deck, centre cockpit and a real nice layout. Separate engine room that is bliss. Proven blue water; one I know of left last year on a circumnavigation and is currently in Scotland. He's got a blog - I'll see if I can recall it.

Boats, Yachts, Cruisers and more at Dockside Boat Sales at Paynesville on The Victorian Lakes
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 18:00   #741

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

<sigh> I did that, I tried to order their book, but I'm in Asia and my CC was rejected repeatedly I guess because of where I'm living. I contacted them trying to find a work around, but since PayPal and I split ways because they are dishonest, I'm reduced to my lowley CC's which Hartley won't accept! Frustrating that.

Thomas
Old 07-12-2011, 18:24   #742
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts66
<sigh> I did that, I tried to order their book, but I'm in Asia and my CC was rejected repeatedly I guess because of where I'm living. I contacted them trying to find a work around, but since PayPal and I split ways because they are dishonest, I'm reduced to my lowley CC's which Hartley won't accept! Frustrating that.

Thomas
Hi Thomas - tried to pm you.

If interested email me at dan5oh :at: yahoo :dot: com

Cheers!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 18:27   #743

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

sent you an email. Let me know it got to ya'

Thomas
Old 08-12-2011, 00:19   #744

Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
Bill, you might also like to keep a lookout for the John Perry designed and built ferro Pinjara from the 1970s. He was Sydney-based.

There's a link to one below that needs heaps of work but it's likely to be well gone by now. There are others around.

They are about 41'4""LOA, sloop with flush deck, centre cockpit and a real nice layout. Separate engine room that is bliss. Proven blue water; one I know of left last year on a circumnavigation and is currently in Scotland. He's got a blog - I'll see if I can recall it.

Boats, Yachts, Cruisers and more at Dockside Boat Sales at Paynesville on The Victorian Lakes
Thanks for that pointer At Sea, I had a look and, to me, she looks to be pretty rough, in the small picture anyway, are those rust stains down on the waterline? I let a 40' Ralf Okell Ketch go by at the asking price of $15,000 and the Okell yacht only needed tiding-up, everything was aboard, including the engine which had just been overhauled, so I think, as a project yacht, the seller is asking to much for his/her baby, just add the cost of the engine and installation and the buyer would be up around $25,000 or more in the boat, I feel sure she would also need new rigging, then there's painting and what not and I think her fuel/water tanks look to be sized for a bay cruiser, not an ocean cruiser. So I'm thinking "that" FC boat is not such a bargain.
I believe for me, this Hartley South Seas would be much smarter buying, even at the asking price of $35,000 but because of family matters, I can do nothing about any boat at the present time but thanks for the tip At Sea mate, I will keep a look-out for other John Perry designed boats.

Bill
Australia
Old 08-12-2011, 00:55   #745

Just thought I would let all you blokes know, I'm not a one-eyed-FC-boat-nut but I do believe FC boats are great value for money, easy to maintain, great sea boats but...I also like Trimarans and as I'm not the most experenced sailor around, I did 99.97% of my time aboard power ships and boats perhaps buying a power boat is not out of the question for me. In fact I have spotted a power Trimaran that I believe would suite me and the area I plan to cruise, just fine, I plan on spending most of my time up on and around the Great Barrier Reef and the Top-End, with perhaps the odd short trip over to Asia, it's only about 400 miles from the Top-End to Asia So perhaps the power Trimaran I spotted would be a good choice for my needs. The Tri is 36', sleeps 5 and has just about everything I need already onboard and...She draws less than 2ft of water...Great for reef areas Here's the power Tri that I may make a move on...If she's still around when I'm ready to make my move. Now back to FC boats

Bill
Australia
Old 08-12-2011, 02:46   #746

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAU View Post
Just thought I would let all you blokes know, I'm not a one-eyed-FC-boat-nut but I do believe FC boats are great value for money, easy to maintain, great sea boats but...I also like Trimarans and as I'm not the most experenced sailor around, I did 99.97% of my time aboard power ships and boats perhaps buying a power boat is not out of the question for me. In fact I have spotted a power Trimaran that I believe would suite me and the area I plan to cruise, just fine, I plan on spending most of my time up on and around the Great Barrier Reef and the Top-End, with perhaps the odd short trip over to Asia, it's only about 400 miles from the Top-End to Asia So perhaps the power Trimaran I spotted would be a good choice for my needs. The Tri is 36', sleeps 5 and has just about everything I need already onboard and...She draws less than 2ft of water...Great for reef areas Here's the power Tri that I may make a move on...If she's still around when I'm ready to make my move. Now back to FC boats

Bill
Australia
Bill,

The hydrofield is more of a gull/wing design rather than a trimaran as we know trimarans. I had a 27ft with mercruiser petrol inboard 30years ago. Very seaworthy, I would go out to Islands off mackay in 25 knots knowing nobody else would be there.

Did not ride as well into a chop as cats and Haines formular monos and was not exceptional on fuel.

I would think the modern displacement cats such as Oram, Chamberlain would be much more fuel efficient.

John.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:00   #747

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskip View Post
Wheels was never a big head as well as beeing a mod and gave a lot to foruim . I have seen a lot on this from the start and there are a few of us left From way back then..
Agreed. His contributions were all honest, accurate and well informed. Much respected. I reckon I've read all of his posts and found some real gems...
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:46   #748

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Anyone know what happened to wheels,gone cruising maybe?
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 05:10   #749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Here's the current object of my cheapskate ferro fantasies:

1976 Samson C-Deuce Double Headstay Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

55' LOA, 45 LWL, $14,900.

What could possibly go wrong?
Perhaps of interest is one of the twins of your prospective purchase Samson Double Deuce which was sold earlier on the Gold Coast QLD au, earlier this year.

It shows how a yoscht of this style can be presented. I am sure the link will not remain for long, as it was sold.

Used Samson Ketch for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub
Regards,

Al
Pacific-Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 23:38   #750

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Bill,

The hydrofield is more of a gull/wing design rather than a trimaran as we know trimarans. I had a 27ft with mercruiser petrol inboard 30years ago. Very seaworthy, I would go out to Islands off mackay in 25 knots knowing nobody else would be there.

Did not ride as well into a chop as cats and Haines formular monos and was not exceptional on fuel.

I would think the modern displacement cats such as Oram, Chamberlain would be much more fuel efficient.

John.
Hello John,
Thanks for the information, the Gullwing has been sold so it must have been a good buy...It had only been listed a short while, as they say, he who thinks to much and to long about the boat looses the deal

Bill
Australia

Tags
ferro