Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18-01-2013, 13:15   #1006

Boat: 45ft Ketch
Re: Ferro Cement Hulls ?

Ferro is not built commercially these days because its labour intensive and therefore costly. Plastic hulls have a lower labour content and therefore cheaper especially if they skimp on thickness.
So, how much time do you have and what value do you put on it. In your position I would look for a neglected C-mist with a great hull and start from there.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 13:57   #1007

Boat: Ex liveaboard, now grounded.

Yep, as you point out, a neglected (or even a very nice) C-Mist would be well worth considering. Unfortunately they don't seem to turn up that often here in the UK. Plus, there's that thing about doing your own boat the way you want it, instead of having to live with or change round someone else's preferences.

I have more time than money and have no wish to pursue too far the logical or economics arguments. I'm not a completely rational being, thankfully.
steve ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 14:11   #1008

Boat: 19T Gaff Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ripples View Post
Different topic - but I wanted to contact all you enthusiasts keeping the ferro flag flying (some fool is going to say 'ferro flag? Nah, too heavy). Anyway, I'm wondering (just quietly and carefully you understand) about building. I've read Benford and Hartley and Cairncross and Greenfield and masses of stuff on the web and want to try and assess a particular design and build project. Something of a compromise size and fairly easy build, manageable by one man under sail. For the kind of conditions here (UK coast) and the kind of sailing I've done and want to do (UK coasting, north to south and some way upriver where possible) and my traditional leanings - I like the looks of the Samson C-Mist, gaff rig, 32 ft, 11' beam and draft a just ok for my purposes 5ft (don't want to go any deeper).

My problem is how to get hold of the plans? Hartley's took on some of Samson's designs but not the C-Mist. Does anyone have any leads please?
The Samson C-mist, which was drawn by Peter Noble and Ken Davies you would be able to get plans from Colin Brookes through Hartley & Asso I believe......Agree with Dumnmad on this, many boats were made in this version and the larger C-farer that you could re-fit alot more economically. Hope this helps, Stonefloat
Stonefloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 14:31   #1009

Boat: Ex liveaboard, now grounded.

Hi, Stonefloat, Mr Brookes isn't offering the C-Mist plans, though he has his Norsk 35 which is close. The C-Farer is just a tad too big - high on the list, yes, but it comes in at number 3. V nice boat though, as are the Ingrids. There's just that something about the C-Mist that makes me put it at the top of my page. If one does turn up for sale here in the UK or somewhere in Europe, I'd be keen to take a look.
steve ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 23:03   #1010

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
On the cabin top I've been using a product called Parfix Multipurpose Filler, made in New Zealand. It's designed to be used indoors or outdoors, but you can't get it wet for the first two days after application otherwise it cracks. After that it's hard as a rock and takes quite a bit of sanding to level out.

It sells here in Australia in hardware stores for $13.00/kg premixed. I've used about 25kg so far for timber dry rot repairs and I can't see why it couldn't be used for the deck.
I have to withdraw my recommendation of this product. After heavy rains I've had several recent repairs turn to mush even after it had dried and been sanded back and painted. Strangely, earlier repairs remain unaffected.

Rob

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 20:19   #1011

Boat: Careel 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by banyandah View Post
I'd be wondering about where it thins out to fair in. Will those thin edges of concrete not crumble and bits will lift from the deck. In Australia we have a product called Bondcrete, Added to a rich portland mix and it bonds to thin layers, Just not sure how it'd go on a deck. But you can always shot off a text and ask the maker.
In the 90s, we sandblasted Banyandah after she had lived a long and full life. Found a few imperfections but basically the operator took off every layer of paint and left us a perfect surface to flood with thin epoxy.

cheers,
G'day Jack,

As you are one of the few on the forum who has pulled apart and rebuilt their FC vessel, Banyandah, may I send you a PM with a couple of pictures I would like to get your advice on?

Cheers Jack.

Bill
Old 29-03-2013, 21:01   #1012

Quote:
Originally Posted by awab View Post
Hello,
I looked into the wet blasting a little bit more. There are attachments on the market for 80 us till 400 us for pressure washer between 2500 and 4000 psi.
Does somebody has first hand experience.
It looks to me they are good for little jobs but not for a job what stonefloat did.

thanks
peter
G'day Peter,

So how are things coming along with repairs to your vessel? All well and good I hope...How about letting us have up-to-date pictures of her
I'm thinking of making an offer on a FC yacht here in Australia, it needs a couple of repairs doing so I'm trying to decide on wheather to make an offer on her...Or hold out for a vessel that will not need as much work doing to her...I'm an old/er coot and have become a wee bit lazy in my old age
Cheers Peter
Bill
Australia
Old 30-03-2013, 01:57   #1013

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

Does anyone know what is going on with the Hartley Ferro forum? None of my posts there have made it through and nothing has changed in months!
Old 30-03-2013, 02:30   #1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts66 View Post
Does anyone know what is going on with the Hartley Ferro forum? None of my posts there have made it through and nothing has changed in months!
I haven't a clue, I did send them a Ferro question last year but got no joy so as I have said...I havn't a clue what's going on with them
Old 31-03-2013, 15:42   #1015

Boat: s&s, motorsailor, 55 feet

hello
I am back in hampstead working on OZMA again. It s been still a little bit cold but I make progress. The damaged nose is back in order and I got most of the old paint from the deck.
I used a torch with a propane bottle connected and a scraper. Did a relatively fast job for little money? I will need some more time but I am thinking to get it down to bare cement and then apply a thin layer of white cement what is also used as a top layer for swimming pools. Should work fine and will have no need for paint afterwards. I hope a pool guy is coming out here for some advice very soon. This was a long winter break and I am happy to be back.
Will post some more pics soon.

all the best
peter
awab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 18:06   #1016

Quote:
Originally Posted by awab View Post
hello
I am back in hampstead working on OZMA again. It s been still a little bit cold but I make progress. The damaged nose is back in order and I got most of the old paint from the deck.
I used a torch with a propane bottle connected and a scraper. Did a relatively fast job for little money? I will need some more time but I am thinking to get it down to bare cement and then apply a thin layer of white cement what is also used as a top layer for swimming pools. Should work fine and will have no need for paint afterwards. I hope a pool guy is coming out here for some advice very soon. This was a long winter break and I am happy to be back.
Will post some more pics soon.

all the best
peter
G'day Peter,

Good to see you back aboard mate, I'm sure the work on your boat will soon be polished-off. You're a fast worker Peter I'll keep an eye open for the pictures Peter
I have the chance to buy a damaged 45' Hartley but it's up in Darwin and I just can't get away at present to inspect the boat. The owner says the damage could be made-good in one week but a mate took some close-up pictures of the damage and sent me the pictures and, I have my doubts on the owners one week work for the repairs estimate.
I was going to buy the Hartley on-seen, going only by the pictures on the owners sales page...I'm glad I did not do that as the pictures my mate sent me show the damages that the owner did not show on his sales page. The fee for keeping the boat in Darwin is $720AU per month so it's not cheep to keep the boat there for six months or more, so I guess I'll forget about finding a boat till I'm ready to go inspect one...before putting any money down.

Cheers Peter,

Bill
Australia
Old 01-04-2013, 05:30   #1017

Boat: s&s, motorsailor, 55 feet

hello bill,
I was underestimating the work involved in my repair too. To do the nose was a week
preparation and 4hr 3 people for cementing. To get all together for the repair is time consuming.

good luck
peter
awab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 21:49   #1018
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38' cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to banyandah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAU View Post
G'day Jack,

As you are one of the few on the forum who has pulled apart and rebuilt their FC vessel, Banyandah, may I send you a PM with a couple of pictures I would like to get your advice on?

Cheers Jack.

Bill
Hello Bill we are coming in to NSW after a 7 day ocen voyage from Tasmania so I have been offline so to speak, and enjoying the wild blue yonder. We did the trip a 100 miles off the ocast to miss the shipping and contrary current which flows south at half our boat speed.
Yes indeed send you PM and photos and I'll tell you what I think, Hope I can help
Jack
Old 05-04-2013, 22:49   #1019

Quote:
Originally Posted by banyandah View Post
Hello Bill we are coming in to NSW after a 7 day ocen voyage from Tasmania so I have been offline so to speak, and enjoying the wild blue yonder. We did the trip a 100 miles off the ocast to miss the shipping and contrary current which flows south at half our boat speed.
Yes indeed send you PM and photos and I'll tell you what I think, Hope I can help
Jack
G'day Jack,

Thanks for that mate, I'll send you a PM with the pictures.

Bill
Old 13-08-2013, 20:34   #1020

G'day mates ,

Peter, How are you coming along with your repairs mate? What's the latest news

For you other experienced FC boat owners, do you know if Adams Aquila were ever designed to be built in FC If so, what do you think of this FC Adams At 50' she's to much boat for my needs, or could handle safely on my own but she could be a useful boat for someone.

Bill
Australia

Tags
ferro