Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 02:52   #46

Boat: Samson 36 ft
Re: ferro cement ? need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Tony

I'll go with the others who suggested that you should get 4-5knots. In practice, under good conditions, maybe a little more. Do use a GPS and a trial run to get a much more accurate idea of power setting, fuel consumption and expected speed.

What I would suggest is to get a copy of the "Beacon to Beacon" book. It shows the recommended routes through Morton Bay - helps in keeping away from big ships and off the sandbars. It also gives distances between waypoints.

Bitter experience has taught me that you need to have a plan on how to stay well away from all commercial traffic. While there are some real gentlemen who understand the difficulties of managing a small boat there are others on the other end of the bell shaped curve.

When we came through Morton Bay I put the Beacon to Beacon tracks into our plotter and set the autopilot to follow the tracks. Worked out pretty well.

If you can get hold of a copy of Lucas' Guide it has some pretty good tips for most places. We followed them all the way up from Sydney and they worked out pretty well.

I had a look at Google Earth and have saved a sreenshot - see photo. My experience has been that it is essential to arrive at any river on a rising tide. Lucas may have some recommendations here.

Google earth gave me a distance of 40 nm from the mouth of the Mooloolaba Rive to the entrance of the Cabolture River so I'd plan for 10 hours for that plus an hour or so of mucking about either end. It looks doable in daylight but there's not a huge safety margin.

The other essential is to check your weather forecasts carefully for at least a few days before you leave. I'd echo those sentiments about not going with any forecast above 15 knots.

Do check your fuel carefully (both for quality and quantity) and have a couple of spare filters ready (a new one to start the trip may be a good idea) and know how to bleed your injectors.
Yes Boracay will certainly check GPS before anything.

I have the beacon to beacon and use it around the southern end of the bay,with a half cab I have ,comes in very helpful,I have been having a look at it with ref to the bottom end of Bribie,certainly a big help.

Autopilot is on my shopping list,I shall also hunt down a Lucas guide.and yes I dont realy want to do this in daylight, not too confident at this stage. I have replaced filters and am very focused on safety.
As for weather I shall be keeping a close eye on things .
Thankyou for your very sound advice it is more than welcome.
TonyQld100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:54   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyQld100 View Post
Yes Boracay will certainly check GPS before anything.

I have the beacon to beacon and use it around the southern end of the bay,with a half cab I have ,comes in very helpful,I have been having a look at it with ref to the bottom end of Bribie,certainly a big help.

Autopilot is on my shopping list,I shall also hunt down a Lucas guide.and yes I dont realy want to do this in daylight, not too confident at this stage. I have replaced filters and am very focused on safety.
As for weather I shall be keeping a close eye on things .
Thankyou for your very sound advice it is more than welcome.
Sorry I meant to say i don't want to do this after dark
Old 10-05-2013, 17:53   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I forgot to include having a chat with Bribie VMR before you go. They may have up to date info on the entrance to the Caboolture River.

Even if you don't have a VHF you would just about be in cell phone range for much if not all of the route. Do make a note of their phone number!

Calling them on departure is not a bad idea, as is checking for any sécurités that may apply. Don't forget to cancel when you get there. I added a couple of hours to my estimated times coming north as NSW Marine Rescue gets a bit twitchy if you don't call on time.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 18:47   #49

yes have VHS on board and will check in with Bribie.thanks for your help
Old 12-05-2013, 14:30   #50

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Quote:
What a start to your trip,I'll bet nobody slept that night.
You say this was your first boat ,was this also your first major ocean sail?
I had done a delivery trip from Sydney to Hobart crew on somebody else's boat, plus a few hundred miles of what was called "offshore" racing, but was really Coastal / Cat 3, not "offshore" per se.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 17:35   #51

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Weyalan would have been a goner if his boat hadn't been named Insatiable... brings superhero skills and abilities to all who sail her.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 12-05-2013, 18:41   #52

Boat: Columbia 41

Oh and don't forget the American Concrete Institute website:
ACI - American Concrete Institute
They have lots of good info on waterproofing.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 18:52   #53

Quote:
.....I have been having a look at it with ref to the bottom end of Bribie,certainly a big help.
Sing out when you pass Bribie, I’ll go out on the balcony and give you a wave.....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ferro