Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2011, 14:21   #46
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Fin Keels - Skeg Hung Rudders - Full Keels

Everything is theoretical till your out on the water then lets be honest... its more about the man behind the wheel or at the tiller than figures on a spreadsheet...
At least thats what I've found.. argue about it all you want...

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 14:49   #47
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: fin keels, skeg hung rudders, full keels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
just don't let go of that wheel !! your boat will round up into the wind quick as a wink whilst the full keel will sail a straight line to the horizon

What a load of cr*p! Are you saying that those of us with a spade rudder don't know know to trim our sails? Or is your point that on a full keel boat sail trim just doesn't matter because the boat goes where it wants regardless?

Either choice is just cr*p!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 17:31   #48

Re: Fin Keels - Skeg Hung Rudders - Full Keels

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnorv View Post
I'm a total advocate for others to purchase boats with really deep short loosely attached keels and fragile rudders. They'll keep SAR busy and leave the waterways boatfree. Seriously, I've hard grounded a couple of times (even solid rock at 4.5 kt) with a lead keel , a little fairing in the yard was all that was neccesary, not the end of the world. More to the point would be which is more important to you, speed and performance or comfort? I mean we're talking sailboats here, right?
actually i was thinking more about safety...
bdurham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 17:58   #49
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdurham View Post
so these boat may have integral keels, but would you be concerned at all with the free hanging rudders on the cal for a long distance trip?
hell no ; -)

Lapworth blew the industry standards away with his fin keel spade rudder boats that have gone everywhere and done everything... from 24' to 49', and the number of his hulls still in the water and still cruising after all these years is big... Can't pick up a boat mag in most corners of the world with out at least one of his beauties listed in the classifieds... usually updated to modern standards and active.

His boats are about as bullet proof at these old plastic classics get...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 18:05   #50
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Fin Keels - Skeg Hung Rudders - Full Keels

Truth be told I reckon most spade rudder failures are down to folks not checking their gear on a regular basis... when your hauled out for your anti foul or winter layup... drop it and check it... its not a big job..
For many its 'Out of sight out of mind'...
Corribee's have lost their rudders for that reason... early Hurley's the same... or sunk when the tube corroded out...

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 18:19   #51

Boat: Tartan 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina
hell no ; -)

Lapworth blew the industry standards away with his fin keel spade rudder boats that have gone everywhere and done everything... from 24' to 49', and the number of his hulls still in the water and still cruising after all these years is big... Can't pick up a boat mag in most corners of the world with out at least one of his beauties listed in the classifieds... usually updated to modern standards and active.

EXACTLY!
I think the argument of losing your rudder is just like the argument that full keel boats all sail like they are dragging an anchor. The differences are slight at best.
Yes, in general fin keel boats may be 5% faster than a heavier, full keel boat. And a full keel boat may have a 5% better comfort factor and be only slightly less likely to lose a rudder on an underwater object because that rarely happens.
Bottom line, similar boats have similar sea qualities. Cal 40s are more like classic boats, despite their undercarriage, with small sterns, balanced beam, and bulletproof construction.

If you want to know the 2 most endearing qualities of my full keel boat, despite how trivial it will sound: I never snag crab pot lines so don't even have to look for them while sailing locally, and when the wind shifts in an anchorage my nylon rode never comes up and gets stuck between my keel and rudder, like used to happen in prior fin keel boats I have cruised on.

Otherwise, the sunsets all look the same!
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 18:26   #52
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Otherwise, the sunsets all look the same!
Yep. And I hope there will always be a few boats with full keels and wooden masts in mine. I love gazing at you folk in a cove, once the light dims a bit.
Old 19-05-2011, 18:41   #53
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

There are just too many variables to boat ownership, comfort and safety to get all snarky about something like a keel and rudder. The biggest problem in the sailing domain is making your mind up on which one to buy - there are so many that are good!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 22:36   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
hell no ; -)

thats good to hear, i have found quite a few of the older models of the cal 34 that i really like. many of them at really good prices. from what i have read they seem like really good boats.
i really like the interior layout as well, with the galley along the starboard side.
have a look here and tell me what you think...
1969 Cal 34 sailboat for sale in Outside United States
bdurham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 23:52   #55

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Everything is theoretical till your out on the water then lets be honest... its more about the man behind the wheel or at the tiller than figures on a spreadsheet...
At least thats what I've found.. argue about it all you want...
But this is the internet where theory from armchairs rule.
Old 19-05-2011, 23:57   #56

Send a message via Skype™ to DannySt

Just to make things interesting... why not go for a cat - there is no keel at all - problem solved
A well balanced boat is a well balanced boat, so course wise, it will hold its own and its more up to the man at the helm to know how to balance his sails.
Safety is not just hitting the ground, its the speed you can make to avoid any bad wether, its the condition of the boat (the newer boats usually have fin keels), its how well rested the crew is after 5 days in to a voyage.
No rules, find some boat that will make you smile when sitting in the cockpit, your gonna be sitting there most of the time going around your anchor with the shifting wind reading a book or sipping a beer.
DannySt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 00:01   #57

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannySt View Post
Just to make things interesting... why not go for a cat - there is no keel at all - problem solved
A well balanced boat is a well balanced boat, so course wise, it will hold its own and its more up to the man at the helm to know how to balance his sails.
Safety is not just hitting the ground, its the speed you can make to avoid any bad wether, its the condition of the boat (the newer boats usually have fin keels), its how well rested the crew is after 5 days in to a voyage.
No rules, find some boat that will make you smile when sitting in the cockpit, your gonna be sitting there most of the time going around your anchor with the shifting wind reading a book or sipping a bear.
Trying to figure out if I want to try sipping bears or not. Sounds exciting and dangerous.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 11:38   #58

Boat: Mason 43 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdurham View Post
looking for some opinions on different keel types..

we are looking to do some long distance cruising. trans pacific, east to west. i know that a full keel boat offers stability and protection for the rudder.

is it crazy to do offshore cruising in a boat with a fin keel and no rudder protection..?

it would be great to hear some opinons on this topic.
No, it's not crazy, it's fun. Like someone below said, it's the whole package not just keel shape. We just sold our fin keeler after 10k miles in the pacific and we didn't sell because of it's keel shape, she just didn't carry enough water and lacked enough storage space. We bought a full keeler for our next boat. Not all full keelers are created equal and I suspect this new boat will sail just as well as our old one if not better.
Rod Headlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 11:41   #59
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Headlee View Post
... she just didn't carry enough water and lacked enough storage space....
Ahhh...that displacement thang agin!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 15:10   #60

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
just don't let go of that wheel !! your boat will round up into the wind quick as a wink whilst the full keel will sail a straight line to the horizon
Depends on the fin you have. A short deep fin like a Bene, sure. A long shallow fin like an early Cal, not so much.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote