Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2013, 16:51   #1

Boat: Valiant 40
Finally on my boat...

A long time ago I posted a hello to the forum, mentioning that I was in the hunt for a boat that I could live aboard in Annapolis. Well, I finally decided on a Valiant 40, and about six weeks ago started pursuing a particular example. I'm now in the third day of fixing her up in Westbrook, CT and making her seaworthy for the trip home.

She was originally advertised as lightly used and maintained by the best of yards. When I showed up for the buyer's inspection and the survey, both with my broker, that claim turned out to be so much advertising. She had been owned by a casual sailor and while I think he did his best to keep her up, his advancing age and his lack of fastidiousness had taken their toll on a few of her systems and her general "state of yar". I and the broker and the surveyor poked and prodded her over two days and when the smoke cleared, the bid was adjusted downward, considerably, based on what we found. The owner hemmed and hawed and finally accepted. The offer was fair given her condition vs. other boats on the market.

Fast foward I've now been on her for three days, and have put in 15 hour days cleaning and fixing. Aside from the three 30 gallon trashbags of plain junk, the 25 year old uninspected liferaft, the charts from 1990 etc. that I hauled off, there has been endless scrubbing and repairs. New batteries, new alternator, new water pump, rebuilt head...and then the previous repairs that I had to redo properly. My first night on the boat I was in a bit of state of shock from what I had found, but the light is at the end of the tunnel. Happily, she is looking to be very solid in all the ways that count, with her warts being primarily bolt-on systems and general state of cleanliness.

A few more days here and I'll be heading over to spend a week at Greenport, LI, where my mother lives, then down the Sound and along the Jersey coast to the canal. I would love to round Montauk and do the straight shot to Cape May, but I have the time and I'm a little leary of taking her offshore, however marginally, on her shakedown cruise when I don't have to.

I really have to say, the longer I spend on her the happier I am with my choice. Beneteaus and other modern production boats offer considerably more room and ingenious design conveniences, but poking behind panels and inspecting the guts of a Valiant gives you the impression you're on an industrial strength boat.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 16:58   #2

Boat: Ericson 35-2
Congratulations, and here's hoping that you won't find anything much nastier than what you described
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 17:04   #3

Re: Finally on my boat...

Congrats! Wow... all that in 3 days... really?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 17:13   #4

Boat: Watkins 29'
Hey good for you... Nice boat congrats!
Old fuel always seems to bite you in the ass when you least expect it, anyway of cleaning out your tank?
Old 29-05-2013, 17:15   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Finally on my boat...

Well he is a 'Young Un'...
Congratulations mate... enjoy your new home

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 17:21   #6

Very interested in a Valiant 40 myself. Do you mind telling me the year and price range you paid?
kabball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 18:31   #7

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA
In Bellingham, WA I worked as a carpenter building Valiant 40 and 32's - a great boat. What hull number is she - I would put my name on some of the units(galley, nav station, etc on those I've built.) Of course in an inconspicuous place ... Loved the design and now live in Lyme, ct. - not far from where you made the deal. Best of luck and enjoy...
Old 29-05-2013, 18:36   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Congratulations!! Those 90s charts are newer compared to most of mine.

kind regards,
Old 29-05-2013, 18:55   #9

She's #270, from 1986, a Texas boat. I paid a little over $100k. She's actually in very good shape, all my complaining aside. Very recent electronics, all networked together, new thru-hulls, new full battened main and a decent genoa and virtually unused genaker. The brightwork has been well maintained although it has about 1/8" of varnish on it so one project for this summer is stripping it all down and starting over.

As far as getting all that done, I've been working like a mad-man. The batteries were pretty easy, as was the alternator and regulator. One thing I did not realize until I got here and talked to the yard forman is that Defender is 25 minutes away. Popped up there and spent a fortune, but less of a fortune than I would have spent anywhere else. One thing I can say is that the people there are *hugely* knowledgeable. Everyone I spoke to about stuff I was replacing knew their stuff, and then some.

As far as the fuel goes, I was thinking of having them polish it but I assume that would run a few hundred bucks. I'd rather just keep my eye on the filter and separator. When I get back to Annapolis I'm going to look into a new filtering system.

Kabball, if you're really interested in Valiants I suggest you talk to Bernie Jakits at RogueWave Yacht Sales in Annapolis and consider retaining him as a buyer's broker. He is tremendously knowledgeable about Valiants, having owned several and sold probably over 100 over the years. He was the east coast Valiant rep until they ceased operations. Many of the Valiants on the market he actually sold to their current owners, and he knows the boats inside and out. He was so helpful it's really hard to quantify. He's also a huge amount of fun and very, very funny.
Old 29-05-2013, 19:18   #10

Boat: Cal 2-27

Congrats mate! Annapolis is a great place to sail and live!
Old 29-05-2013, 20:28   #11

Thanks Suijjn

I have looked at their site before, although I'm on the left coast in Vancouver. Maybe that doesn't matter and he would still help me out.

I have had my eye on one in San Diego called ALMA - 1988

Russ
kabball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 03:39   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabball View Post
Thanks Suijjn

I have looked at their site before, although I'm on the left coast in Vancouver. Maybe that doesn't matter and he would still help me out.

I have had my eye on one in San Diego called ALMA - 1988

Russ
Bernie sold ALMA to the current owner, and knows the boat well. It was the other boat I was looking at and had it been on the east coast I probably would have put a bid on her instead. The radar arch and hard dodger are $15k options just by themselves.

Bernie works with clients all over the world. I don't think your being on the west coast matters at all, except at that price if you want him to join you for the survey (which I would highly recommend) you might have to reimburse him for airfare. I can pretty much guarantee that it will be worth every penny and it could well save you money.