Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2016, 11:50   #1

Boat: She31 (I am male)
Finally took the leap and a massive risk

Despite having lived on and owned several sailboats. After a pretty nasty breakup I bought a She31 for 4k off of CL sight unseen Bought a one way ticket from the Northeast to Miami only my clothes I need the electronics to do my job and moved aboard.

She is a beautiful boat but in very very rough shape having been neglected to about a decade. I'm beginning the refit process and scared has hell of this impulsive decision.

But when I sit in the cockpit at night I smile to myself and tear up a little being back on a boat despite her condition.

I'm now looking for a good marina close to things where I can walk to get parts ect... in Miami that will allow an uninsured boat and is cheap.

My income is only $2500 for my web development work. I do have time to do freelance boat yard type stuff but ended up falling into my forward hatch last night and breaking three ribs.

Any advice on where to go and ideas on how to add a little extra income, I'm near Hurricane Cove Marina so not near anywhere I could solicit webdev work and now walking sucks due to the broken ribs, but oh well, part of the adventure?, I just got my engine running and she sails pretty good.
she31sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 14:41   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Finally took the leap and a massive risk

Welcome aboard CF, she31sailor,

Sorry to hear about the ribs, good that the healing process has already begun, and hoping that you find what you're looking for.

Some member of the forum who is more local to you may be able to help you, but a requirement for the boat to be insured is universal where we are, marinas will not accept you without it.

Ann
Old 15-04-2016, 15:18   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Welcome aboard CF, she31sailor,

Sorry to hear about the ribs, good that the healing process has already begun, and hoping that you find what you're looking for.

Some member of the forum who is more local to you may be able to help you, but a requirement for the boat to be insured is universal where we are, marinas will not accept you without it.

Ann
My boat is from 1970 and was neglected, no one has been willing to insure her thus far, and I've talked to over 20 companies.
Old 15-04-2016, 15:37   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I feel close to your situation as I my first liveaboard was a 30' 1969 Sparkman & Stephens boat too!

I don't have any specific advice for Miami area marinas, but I have spent time at many Florida marinas that have not made any inquiry about my insurance coverage.
Old 15-04-2016, 15:49   #5

Boat: Catalina 30

Progressive online, you just need liability. I pay under $200 a year for my C30. Using their online tools they can fax proof of to the marina, pretty fuss free.
Old 15-04-2016, 16:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garbone View Post
Progressive online, you just need liability. I pay under $200 a year for my C30. Using their online tools they can fax proof of to the marina, pretty fuss free.

I will try that, thanks!
Old 15-04-2016, 16:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I feel close to your situation as I my first liveaboard was a 30' 1969 Sparkman & Stephens boat too!

I don't have any specific advice for Miami area marinas, but I have spent time at many Florida marinas that have not made any inquiry about my insurance coverage.

how did you like the S&S 30
Old 15-04-2016, 16:54   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

She 31,

We had a Yankee 30 (also S & S), sailed her to HI from San Francisco and back, and decided we wanted somewhat larger for long-time ocean travel. However, it was a really nice boat, good at everything that was asked of it, a good compromise, if you will. Good luck with the ins., that will make life easier, for sure.

Ann
Old 15-04-2016, 19:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
She 31,

We had a Yankee 30 (also S & S), sailed her to HI from San Francisco and back, and decided we wanted somewhat larger for long-time ocean travel. However, it was a really nice boat, good at everything that was asked of it, a good compromise, if you will. Good luck with the ins., that will make life easier, for sure.

Ann
Thanks! I just felt like keeping it simple, my idea was buy cheap, pretty and crude and sail her until she sinks then find the next one.

I like the Yankee 30, cool boat, I'm single so I don't need bigger and I'll stay single because I'll refuse to get something bigger I assume.

I really enjoy the weeble woble or ho hum of small boats.
Old 15-04-2016, 21:34   #10

Boat: Freedom 38

If you can, sail up to North Florida or Georgia and get the heck out of Miami. Everything is ridiculously priced there. Ask around and find a good yard that is near to some good shops, such as places that can fix props, work metal, get supplies for fiberglass repair, provide marine electrical supplies, etc. You don't need a West Marine, just a guy in a messy chandlery with a good selection of catalogs and the willingness to accept UPS/FedEx shipments. Then a grocery store in reasonable walking distance is like manna from heaven. Literally. Good luck!!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 04:23   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by she31sailor View Post
how did you like the S&S 30
Mine was a 1969 New York built Whitney 30. We bought it in 1971 as our first liveaboard and it was a great vessel, but too small with our eventual plans for children.
Old 16-04-2016, 05:08   #12

Boat: Watkins 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by she31sailor View Post
Despite having lived on and owned several sailboats. After a pretty nasty breakup I bought a She31 for 4k off of CL sight unseen Bought a one way ticket from the Northeast to Miami only my clothes I need the electronics to do my job and moved aboard.

She is a beautiful boat but in very very rough shape having been neglected to about a decade. I'm beginning the refit process and scared has hell of this impulsive decision.

But when I sit in the cockpit at night I smile to myself and tear up a little being back on a boat despite her condition.

I'm now looking for a good marina close to things where I can walk to get parts ect... in Miami that will allow an uninsured boat and is cheap.

My income is only $2500 for my web development work. I do have time to do freelance boat yard type stuff but ended up falling into my forward hatch last night and breaking three ribs.

Any advice on where to go and ideas on how to add a little extra income, I'm near Hurricane Cove Marina so not near anywhere I could solicit webdev work and now walking sucks due to the broken ribs, but oh well, part of the adventure?, I just got my engine running and she sails pretty good.

All I can say is be very careful walking on the streets of that part of Miami. Its a very high crime area... I personally would not set foot on the streets outside of my car. Walking there would most likely get you more than a few broken ribs.

If you can move the boat, do so... I know money is an issue, but get to the Coconut Grove area if you can.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 08:47   #13

Good luck healing. My brother kept his 40 foot magnum at hurricane cove with no insurance for over a year. You should ask them. If you go in person it might be better. If you want to call the number is 305-324-8004
Mango51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 08:48   #14

Boat: 1973 GULFSTAR 41 CENTER COCKPIT

I have a 1973 Gulfstar 41 that I purchased for salvage value 10 years ago.
I found insurance coverage through United Marine Underwriters. Their phone number is 502-222-0199. I started with just liability coverage. I now have over $50,000 of hull coverage. I suspect that if you have no claims and show steady asset improvement, you will find the same success. Enjoy your new toy .....think of it as mental floss !!!!
CHRIS V CLEMENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 09:42   #15

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

She31,

Sorry to hear of your "nasty breakup".

My wife of 30 years just told me she is moving out.
I could use a few broken ribs myself, to ease the pain.

Best to keep busy.
You are headed in the right direction.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote