Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2023, 13:06   #1

Finding a root cause of torn sail

I was sailing close hauled, Najad 320 (so 32 footer) in 15-20kts wind, mild seas. Full main, jib furled to about 100%.

I wanted to try to squeeze a bit more VMG from the boat and put a bit more tension on the mainsheet. After that I noticed I haven't left enough slack in topping lift, so a crewmember went to mast to loosen it a bit more (and when doing so, he probably loosened the outhaul brake).

The moment the boom dropped a bit mainsail moved about 30cm to the main, where it created a fold.

I asked the crew to pull the outhaul using a really small winch with integrated handle. At that point a *pop* sound was heard and 40cm long horizontal tear appeared in the cloth near the leech just below the 1st reefing eye.

Can you give me a suggestions what have been wrong? I feel this wouldn't have happened had the mainsheet been loose before retightening the outhaul. But at the same time, I still don't understand the exact mechanism of the damage...
Can someone chime in?
Mrkva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 13:18   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Finding a root cause of torn sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkva View Post
I was sailing close hauled, Najad 320 (so 32 footer) in 15-20kts wind, mild seas. Full main, jib furled to about 100%.

I wanted to try to squeeze a bit more VMG from the boat and put a bit more tension on the mainsheet. After that I noticed I haven't left enough slack in topping lift, so a crewmember went to mast to loosen it a bit more (and when doing so, he probably loosened the outhaul brake).

The moment the boom dropped a bit mainsail moved about 30cm to the main, where it created a fold.

I asked the crew to pull the outhaul using a really small winch with integrated handle. At that point a *pop* sound was heard and 40cm long horizontal tear appeared in the cloth near the leech just below the 1st reefing eye.

Can you give me a suggestions what have been wrong? I feel this wouldn't have happened had the mainsheet been loose before retightening the outhaul. But at the same time, I still don't understand the exact mechanism of the damage...
Can someone chime in?
How old is the sail? My first guess is that it is worn out/damaged by the sun. Especially being on the leach, if it is not under a *new* sail cover when stowed. I say new, because after 5-7 years Sunbrella loses its UV blocking properties, even if it structurally seems ok.

Take a bit of sail, and fold it. Try to tear it with your hand, from the fold perpendicular to it. On a new sail you should not be able to. On an old sail, quite easily, and a sail that is used but still has some life left, somewhere in the middle.
Old 10-05-2023, 13:29   #3

Boat: Tartan 3800

What Warren said. Chances are that the sail was already shot. When you take it to a sailmaker to get it fixed they'll tell you for sure.
Old 10-05-2023, 13:37   #4

The sail is between 35 and 3 years old. There's barely any mold or mildew stains and it looks like it still has a proper shape, at least when not under load). On the other hand, it has a boat model number and hull number on it, and I think there is a name of the 1st owner on the sailbag, so I guess it might be original.
The boat is in the baltic sea, so there's not that much sunshine over the summer and the sail is usually stowed indoors over the winter...

I had them with a sailmaker 2 years ago to install patches over scratches from spreaders and he wasn't suggesting I should get a new one.

What I'm trying to do is to exclude any user error - I would very much like to avoid ruining a new sail by something I **** up.
Mrkva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 14:21   #5

Boat: Morgan 382

I don't think anything with the outhaul would tear a sail up by a reefing cringle. But if the sail was old, the normal load of the mainsheet pulling on the leech might. It could be that the topping lift was taking the load normally on the sail, and it was the releasing of the topping lift that did it. I would not consider that user error, but just an old sail that failed.
Old 10-05-2023, 15:04   #6

the sun
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 07:06   #7

Entroy which is directly correlated with time and usage.
Nautes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 15:30   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW: It is near impossible to tear a dacron main that is not degraded by UV damage. Seams can let go, but ripping the cloth away from seams is quite unlikely, user error or no. I think that you can absolve yourself of error!

Another test for the cloth, as advised by Bacon sails for their customers, is to take a reasonably sharp pencil and try to poke it through the cloth. If you can do so, it is kaput and not worth repair. If it resists, it is possible that it is OK.

Good luck with the new sail, and don't worry about ripping it!

Jim
Old 11-05-2023, 19:34   #9

Sails wear out but are remarkably durable for many miles and many years. Our 4 year old main has about 22,000 miles on it now and is still structurally fine but needs to be recut to remove and reposition the draft. The sun is very hard on sail cloth, keep it covered when not in use.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail