Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2023, 03:19   #1

Boat: S2 11 A
Finding our first boat in Florida

Hello,
We have always sailed in Buenos Aires, Argentina and as we moved to Miami, FL we are looking for our first sailing boat here.
Our plans: start with the Keys and then the whole Caribe
Our budget: up to $30.000
Our optimum length: up to 34
Which boat will you recommend us? We are actually looking at the Benneteaus and Morgans, any other make?
Thank you in advance for all the suggestions.
loritzlorena01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2023, 04:59   #2

Boat: Cal 33-2
Re: Finding our first boat in Florida

At that size and price range, you are looking at boats from the 1980s most likely. Bad news is these boats are now 40 years old so may need lots of work. Good news is there were a lot more boat builders then so you have more options. Like Pearson, Cal, Ericson, Sabre, Tartan, etc. in addition to the major remaining builders like Catalina and Beneteau. By far the most popular boats from that era in that size range were the Catalina 34 and Catalina 30.
Old 20-08-2023, 05:09   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

A couple of years ago my dock neighbor GAVE AWAY $0 a perfectly fine Southern Cross 35. He just did not want to hassle with selling it and dealing with a broker and all that.

If you have time start poking around boatyards and marinas. Be discreet and politely say you are in the market for an inexpensive boat of your specs.

Boats are a funny thing, a holder of dreams. Boats go unused and run up yard ir marina bills, which become a problem. If you can make the problem go away you may get a deal. Being there at the right time and right place may make it happen, if you are lucky.

Suggested opening line to yard owner.

Say there friend, do you know of an 30-35 foot sailboats looking for a new home?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2023, 05:40   #4

Boat: EDELCAT33

Lorena
I am going to assume you might not be familiar with Craigslist. Start with this to get started. The KEY ISSUE in Miami is finding slips for your boat. So best case scenario would be somebody selling their boat and transferring their slip or mooring contract.
Go and drive to all the public Marinas in Miami and talk to the office. In my opinion start with Crandom Marina then Coconut Grove, then Blackpoint. Or consider looking into the upper keys.

This is a link to the public marinas but in coconut grove you have a total of 3 accesible marinas including dinner key

https://www.miamidade.gov/global/ser...caApaiEALw_wcB

Go to Miami Government site and see all the marinas. The closer to Biscayne Bay the less traffic and bridges.

Here is just one of the many many boats in Craigslist:

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa...656792751.html
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2023, 05:42   #5

Oh and remember that hauling out is $$$ in Miami. hurricane Cove in the Miami River still let’s you work in your boat but the longer you stay the higher the price per day
Old 20-08-2023, 08:13   #6

I would mention that around Florida (including the Keys, maybe ESPECIALLY the Keys) and the Bahamas, the water tends towards the shallow side. So if that is where you are going to be doing most of your sailing, you want to keep a close eye on the draft of your boat. Personally, living in Tampa, I would not consider a boat with a draft greater than five feet.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2023, 08:35   #7

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

I suggest you start by looking into insurance. If you cannot get insurance, you likely cannot dock the boat somewhere and you cannot get financing. A number of insurance companies are pulling out of Florida, as the risks are too great with global warming. You especially do not want to buy a new, expensive, financed boat, only to find out that you cannot get the required insurance. Start by talking to a marine insurance broker about your prospects.

If you doubt this message, search the forums under "insurance."
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2023, 13:29   #8

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

If you need insurance go to State Farm. Geico dropped me after 22 years, no claims Just stopped insuring wood and steel boats
Old boats are difficult to insure, mine is a 1985 built professionally in CA
Jim got me insured with minimal hassle
Call Jim Wilkins
State Farm Florida
321-255-3572
321-254-8406
Tell him Russ sent you He'll know.
Great guy. Great service
Old 20-08-2023, 13:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
A couple of years ago my dock neighbor GAVE AWAY $0 a perfectly fine Southern Cross 35. He just did not want to hassle with selling it and dealing with a broker and all that.
Guessing the holding costs were daunting. Insurance, slip, diver, etc. Many holding costs such as slip rent are the same for a cheap boat as an expensive one.

OP - you may want to investigate a slip before you proceed. Often, easier to find a boat to fit a slip than the other way around. Cost may be surprising too.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2023, 20:07   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Sailor View Post
I suggest you start by looking into insurance. If you cannot get insurance, you likely cannot dock the boat somewhere and you cannot get financing. A number of insurance companies are pulling out of Florida, as the risks are too great with global warming. You especially do not want to buy a new, expensive, financed boat, only to find out that you cannot get the required insurance. Start by talking to a marine insurance broker about your prospects.

If you doubt this message, search the forums under "insurance."

So about insurance around Miami:
You can get “full coverage” but must follow all the requirements form haul out to inspection etc
Or you can get liability insurance and add the marina as a beneficiary. GEICO marine will do this easy for about $250 a year IF only sailing locally.
Also, if you are not a US citizen, you cannot document the boat with the coast guard, so just register the boat with the city.

Tags
boat, florida