Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2020, 12:21   #1

FIRST 29 (1984) vs CONTESSSA 28 (1977)

Good evening,

Which one would you choose between a Beneteau First 29 (1984) or a Contessa 28 (1977), both look good and with similar equipment.

The plan is to do coastal sailing with the family (3/4) in the Netherlands.

Thanks
Nicolas
NicolasdRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 13:06   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: FIRST 29 (1984) vs CONTESSSA 28 (1977)

As a sailing machine the First would be much better, way more sail area for its displacement. Also more waterline but that difference is not as great as the numbers would imply since the stern of the Contessa overhangs and would immerse once the boat starts making significant way.

To me layout is kind of a wash, I might prefer the First very slightly. Would need to see in person.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 13:20   #3

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

The boats are of a different class.
Beneteau First (Unlike Beneteau Oceanis etc.) is more of a racer and will not be as comfortable for a family coastal sailing. More than the equipment, it is really important to carefully survey the actual condition and maintenance. At this range you should be able to find a lot of other good boats - especially at this time of the year, that I think would be even more comfortable for a family.
For comparisons, you can go to www.sailboatdata.com
Old 09-09-2020, 13:36   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Spent a week racing a Contessa 28 across the Baltic from Kiel. Sails were worn out and our skills a bit lacking so the pace was shall we say fairly staid. We weren't last from the fleet of 12, but it was a close run thing.

There were 5 lads on board so not alot of room, thankfully the weather was good.

It was a safe boat but had done some serious miles with the Army Sailing Centre in Keil. There were all named after birds I think and were sold off locally in the late 80 or early 90s. Not a patch on the 32 though, much nicer if wet to sail.

As a cheap boat for family coastal sailing in NL, I think it would be very suitable. Getting on a bit so cushions, sails, cooker, wiring and plumbing and engine will need close scrutiny.

I have not sailed the First 29 but you will want to check the depth of the keel will meet your needs sailing in shallow water.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:19   #5

Boat: DownEaster 38

The Contessa 28 was designed by Doug Peterson and built by Jeremy Rogers in Lymington. Builder of the extraordinary Contessa 32. I ordered one of the first off the line but had to cancel due to personal issues. You can expect excellent build quality, good sailing performance and well thought out accommodations. Survey of course is essential for and older boat. Good luck.
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:04   #6

Boat: Westerly Storm 33

I had a 1988 Beneteau First 285 for 10 years she was a shallow draft - 1.2m with a wing keel. The First 285 was 28’ 9” long and essentially the same as the Beneteau 29 but slightly cut down, reputedly to reduce production costs.

She was well built and handled well. I had her out in winds of up to about 30 knots. Beneteau packed a considerable amount into a relatively small space. Her rear double berth cabin was well sized for a boat of that length. The galley was well designed and there was a proper chart table of a reasonable size.

The drawbacks were that the saloon in mine wasn’t suitable for berths (no lee berths on mine) and quite narrow seats and no infill on the portside which could have made a small but adequate berth. The heads was a touch small. But the cupboard space behind the heads very practical. Mine only carried 50 litres of water, though you may be able to fit extra water tanks. The fuel tank was only 26 litres. Good for about 20 hours motoring from its 18 horse Volvo Penta. There was adequate engine access for servicing. The main locker was of quite a good size.

I’ve not sailed a Contessa 28. From the video I’ve seen she does not have a dedicated chart table or a separate stern cabin, the galley doesn’t look that good to me and the heads are forrard and split across the boat, so making the V berth less private.

The comparable displacements are:
Contessa 28 3,162kg Displ/Length 292.22
Beneteau 29 3,181kg Displ/Length 174.71

That suggests to me that the Contessa 28 will be better in heavy weather, but the Beneteau 29 will be quicker.

I was really happy with my First 285 and talked to an owner who was moored up in Cornwall this Summer with his wife and two small children aboard and was very positive about the boat.

Your choice very much depends on the type of sailing you expect to be doing and the number of crew you expect to have on board. The Beneteau is bigger and has more dedicated accommodation.

Paul Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote