Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2019, 12:32   #16

Boat: O'Day 26
Re: First boat for new sailor

You have received excellent advice from "jackheape"; as you are new to sailing, the last thing you want to do, irrespective of your financial status, is to go out and purchase a sailboat in the 40' range! GET SOME EXPERIENCE by taking a few sailing lessons to get an idea as to how much you really like sailing. Too many individuals, such as yourself, have jumped in and purchased a boat only to determine it was not the right boat or, even worse, sailing was not for them.

Simply speaking, a sailboat in the 40' range is too large a boat for a person with no sailing experience to sail singlehanded or otherwise. True, a 20 foot boat will prove easier to sail than a sunfish for example, but learn to sail and forget about crossing oceans for the present! Anyone giving you any different advice is giving you bad advice that should be discounted! GOOD LUCK!
TideTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:43   #17

Boat: Boatless

Cart way before the horse.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:47   #18

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
The dream of those with no sense , I live on an Island Nation , people sail their boats in the UK, there is no rundown boats or neglected boats in my Marina and it is at the lower scale .
We buy because we want to sail and sail we do
Interesting observation. On Lake Ontario in USA, 95% of sailboats do not leave the marina on any given weekend. In summer!
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:59   #19

Boat: Wauquiez Gladiateur, 33’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainebristol View Post
Go sail on a friend's boat. Or, if that is not possible and you are reasonably flush, take a crewed charter somewhere fun. I hear Greece is nice.

The point is, experience, any experience, is far more valuable than advice. We can't pour this knowledge into you. You have to go get it.

And fair winds. i'm excited for you.
Listen to the best advice here. There is a lot to learn.
Whosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 13:14   #20
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanblue123 View Post
Roughly how far can I travel on a full tank of fuel? Could I travel from Europe to the Caribbean?

maybe if the boat has a 1000 gallon tank
Old 11-09-2019, 14:26   #21

Boat: a sailing boat

Is the sole idea of liking and object and having funds to buy one not a poor reason to do so?

I do not know.

I like smartwatches. I can afford one. Should I buy one? My answer is no. ymmv

But since you will do whatever you already have on your mind, and since this is a sailing forum, I will share my generous advice.

And no no do not say THANK YOU yet.

The best boat for a new sailor (judged from your post - this means someone who wants to be, and is not, a new sailor) is a beach dinghy. Rented.

In a warm place like BVI or Antigua.

NOW you can say thank you.

There is normally some learning curve for somebody who WANTS to be a sailor and it is best to learn the basics in a craft where all damage is fun and mostly to our self esteem.

Good news: you can be THERE (on your shiny Bennevaria) in less than two years. Disregard the urban legends of needing to do something 10.000 times to get the hang of it. A young able person can learn basic sailing in one season and then get some keelboat skills in the second season.

And you do not need to sail every day either. I think it is enough if you spend all the weekends and holidays on the water. This should easily give you up to 200 days of training which (assuming you have one of those top shelf tutors) is good enough to start driving your own ship.

Have fun becoming a good sailor. Buy the big boat when you become one.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 15:14   #22

PLEASE take ASA101,103, and 104. Then decide.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 16:04   #23

Sorry I have no idea how to reply to each message so I will do it like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvanstaveren View Post
Be very, absolutely, 100%, really, and I do mean really, darn sure you want to get into it. People joke about 'boat' standing for 'break out another thousand', they aren't joking. Maybe not a thousand at a time, but a boat will eat your money.

I suggest you go sailing for a little bit - either a skippered charter, or with friends. To make sure you very, absolutely, 100%, really, and I do mean really, darn sure you want to do it.

I do plan to do that before I buy anything, I know I do not get seasick as I have been on ferries before and a boat slightly smaller than a ferry once on holiday.

You'd be surprised how that will not work out the way you think it would. Most of the time if you want something done in foreign countries (depending on which countries, of course), you either do it yourself, or you empty out your wallet.

Regardless of boat make/model. Having it done for you will cost. Sometimes it will cost a lot. And often you may not get what you pay for. Rarely will it be cheap. And then you still won't get what you pay for.

Doing it yourself, on the other hand, will also cost. But less. And at least if it's cocked up, you know who caused it

Fair enough but I suppose I meant cleaning and hull maintenance as I do not have a lift or similar but I am going to make sure I know what I can and can not fix.

Unless you're made of money, no. Have the engine looked at by a professional, and maybe do the basics (oil change, filter change, etc.) and any other work that may need done.

I mentioned that as I have been reading that many new engines have electronics like on cars that mean they need computers to check and read so can not be fixed or worked on away from a boatyard, I assume for those boats one uses insurance if needed? I would try to find one with a beta marine engine as they have no electronics.

Up-rating the engine on a sailing yacht, um, you realise it's a sailing yacht, right? Your sails are your primary mode of propulsion. And most yacht designers are quite capable of finding the right engine for their particular design

Fair enough I just assumed engine go on in bad weather to keep going so I figured the stronger the engine the better.

The one that's on whatever boat you buy. You'll get used to it.

Again, a sail boat... primary mode of propulsion is... your sails. Engine's only used when a) there's no wind and you need to get somewhere, b) entering/exiting your anchorage/marina/etc. or just taking a quick motor over to something close by.

You can not travel from the EU to the Caribbean on a full tank of gas. Unless you have a motor trawler. Then they may. And oil rigs giving out free fuel? Doubt it

Ok that answers my question, I like the idea of a boat that has solely engines too but I would rather not spend so much on fuel, I did think it weird that an oil rig would give out fuel free but I read a comment that they do and petrol stations have free air so I thought perhaps

How much maintenance is needed on your car? Do you have a workshop at home and spare engine parts?

I do not have a car, the family car is a low maintenance car (suzuki wagon), I would if I used a car in the wild.

The answer to that is basically: 42. It depends on what engine, age of the engine, and how confident you are of it not breaking down.

Do carry spare parts for important things, but what those spare parts are or what you find important is a hilariously subjective thing so... you'll have to determine that yourself.

Fair enough

No. If it goes kaput, we'll be hand steering for as long as it takes.

Ok I thought that was the case

Up to you
oceanblue123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 16:13   #24

"Go sail on a friend's boat. Or, if that is not possible and you are reasonably flush, take a crewed charter somewhere fun. I hear Greece is nice.

The point is, experience, any experience, is far more valuable than advice. We can't pour this knowledge into you. You have to go get it.

And fair winds. i'm excited for you."

I have no friends or family that do sailing, I am part Spanish and that is why it appeals to me more, I might try Spain and see there as yachts are popular there.

"Do NOT do this. First off, you don't even know if you like sailing, or even boating. Take some lessons and get certified through one of the schools. Make sure you get some offshore experience and particularly in some heavy weather. Crossing an ocean is not for anyone with little to no experience, and honestly most people hate it (In fact, most landlubbers hate boats and the sea, other than big yachts that sit at the marina and they get to go on board for cocktails and parties). Then, charter a couple of times, like the BVI for instance. You are talking about buying a big boat which you will probably not be able to handle, AND you are talking about a significant amount of money."

Fair enough, the weather is what I would want confidence in, I am a good swimmer but not naive and I don't intend to put myself into any situation where it might be dangerous to me or a boat I buy.

I don't hate boats or the sea, in fact I want this to be experiencing the ocean more, I want to go diving off it and the parts at the back of the boats to dive off I like
Old 11-09-2019, 16:22   #25

See some random comments below.

> I will start by saying I do not have a background sailing but I like the idea and have recently found it is within budget.

If you are certain that you _and_your_family_ will like it, buy a boat. Otherwise, start by renting a boat and buy the boat next year.

I am not certain they will like it but it is simply a case that if they want to get aboard I would rather they be able to

> I want a sailing ship I can live comfortably on, possibly invite a few people and have something do do some snorkeling and fishing from.

The size of the boat depends on how tightly you are happy to live. No need to start from any bigger boat, even if you have money for it and its costs. You can buy a bigger boat later if you need more space.

Ok, I will consider what you have said though ocean going boats/ship seem to be in that range, I might be mistaken.

> I like the idea of a Beneteau as they seem common enough that it could be repaired by people in foreign countries etc and they seem about what I would want.

I think the brand of the boat is not very important. The brand of the motor and few other key components is more important from repairing point of view.

That is a relief then.

> I am looking at the Beneteau 40 as I have read 40 is a good size and is stable and large enough for ocean going and the fiberglass hull I think would be preferable.

Sounds like an at least big enough boat to me.

> Would it be recommended having a brand new engine fitted were I to buy a 2nd hand boat? Would it be recommended to uprate the engine to a larger model to have better control in rougher seas?

No need to change, unless there are some known problems in the engine. Probably no need for a bigger engine. If you want to prepare for rough weather, maybe focus on the safety devices.

What safety devices are there that I am unaware of? I know about lifevests being connected to the boat and that they should always have a transponder, I know to carry glowsticks and a flaregun or two as well as water de-salination

> What type of sail setup is the best fora novice? I would want something basic and strong, easy to use and maintain.

Probably you will buy a sloop. That's simple enough. In mast furling could be an easy option.

IK like the in mast furling as it looks like it keep it tidy.

> Roughly how far can I travel on a full tank of fuel? Could I travel from Europe to the Caribbean for example or is the engine only for rougher seas and docking and departing etc? Is it really true that oil rigs give out free fuel to sailing ship or every boat?

In long passages no reasonable amount of fuel will take you there. Be prepared to sail most of the time. Additional fuel can be used optionally to take you forward when there is no wind, and you are not happy to just float and enjoy the day.

Well that I do not mind to be honest as part of buying a boat would be for peace and quit and to be outdoors.

> How much maintenance is needed on the engine? Do you lot carry a whole workshop with you and spare engine parts?

Diesel engines usually just work, with quite minimal (yearly) maintenance. I would carry extra wearing parts like filters and impeller but not much more. Make sure that your fuel is good (and you have extra filters for that too). That is probably a more common problem.

That seems ok then, I will try and get a boat with a Beta Marine diesel when/if I get a boat.

> Do you carry spare motors and computers and other parts on board for the auto pilot?

I have extra computers/tablets for navigation. For long passages I'd like to have more than one autopilot/windvane since steering manually for weeks would not be nice.

Thank you for telling me this, that is something I would make sure to do.

> Should I go for a boat with 1 or 2 steering wheels?I am thinking 1 as there is less to go wrong and maintain.

One is quite enough for cruising. Most of the time an autopilot/windvane will steer for you.
Old 11-09-2019, 16:51   #26

Boat: Lagoon 40

Just jump in with both feet....get your check book ready, find a boat that you like - there's nothing wrong with production boats! Buy it and most importantly, SAIL it!
Oh - and if you know nothing about boating or sailing - find some classes, or join a local sailing club so you will at least be safe!
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 18:02   #27

I am part Spanish and that is why it appeals to me more, I might try Spain and see there as yachts are popular there.

It is a common misconception that Columbus was Spanish.

Here it is where people own sailing boats. Owning NOT = sailing. Owning boats is somewhat popular here, yes (if you live on the coast, but most Spain is rural / agricultural). Or if you are in a rich family and must own tokens. Sailing? Don't know. Iker Martinez perhaps ;-)

Sailing places are in the EU are:
- FRANCE,
- FRANCE,
- FRANCE,
- Sweden,
- the Netherlands,
- the UK (only till Oct 31!),
- etc.

You want to learn about wines, do not go to Russia ;-)

barnakiel
Las Palmas, Canary Islands, SPAIN
Old 11-09-2019, 18:13   #28

Before you buy, try a tiller boat too - tiller is very reasonable in a smaller boat (say below 40). Many J's have tillers. Firsts (upper shelf Benes) may have them too. BF3 too.

Two wheels are fine when the boat is big / large (beamy !) - they open up the center to quickly access the boat from the platform or the dock (on single wheel boats sometimes you need to 'climb over' the single wheel) - if you are docked stern to.

A tiller gives you very good control over how the boat balances and helps avoid odd trim and overpowering.

BTW if you can tolerate a boat that is not the biggest your money can buy, try this lovely Benneteau. It is said to sail very well too:

b.
Old 11-09-2019, 18:51   #29

Boat: Bristol 32

Ha! A Beneteau. that right there was funny.
Mainebristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 00:30   #30

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanblue123 View Post
Ok, I will consider what you have said though ocean going boats/ship seem to be in that range, I might be mistaken.
Some people refuse to go any higher than 27 feet (https://www.youtube.com/user/vega1860) :-). Of course large boats have their benefits, but there are no fixed limits. It all depends also on how rich you are, and what you feel comfortable with. Whatever the size, keep the boat in good seaworthy shape.

Quote:
What safety devices are there that I am unaware of? I know about lifevests being connected to the boat and that they should always have a transponder, I know to carry glowsticks and a flaregun or two as well as water de-salination
For safety, you might consider e.g. EPIRB, other satellite based messaging and communication devices, jacklines, harnesses, liferaft, Jordan series drogue.

Quote:
That seems ok then, I will try and get a boat with a Beta Marine diesel when/if I get a boat.
Although I mentioned the brand of the motor, even that might not be very important since diesel motors are typically very reliable and simple, and many "village smiths" are familiar with them. Maybe I'll just emphasise good maintenance, and having good fuel, and some extra filters etc.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail