Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2022, 11:12   #46

Re: First keel sailboat for single hand learning?

Still, Sunfish, it is.

Thanks, guys.
Kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:19   #47

Boat: Bristol 27

Someone mentioned the ASA classes.

I didn't learn that way being from a rural area when I started boating at age 16 so it wasn't available. Plus I had power boats at first.

But if you have the cash and enjoy learning in a group setting of 3-4 including instructor they appear to do a good job here.

I see them on their Capri 22's taking out 2-3 people.

I also see them training people to back sailboats of 40' all the way down the fairway into the Sail Time Slips.

Sail Time is the school they have here. I knew one of the Instructors and he seemed to just enjoy talking sailing with folks.

He kept his Bristol 31.1 near my boat also.

https://sailtime.com/virginia/
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:28   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Someone mentioned the ASA classes.

I didn't learn that way being from a rural area when I started boating at age 16 so it wasn't available. Plus I had power boats at first.

But if you have the cash and enjoy learning in a group setting of 3-4 including instructor they appear to do a good job here.

I see them on their Capri 22's taking out 2-3 people.

I also see them training people to back sailboats of 40' all the way down the fairway into the Sail Time Slips.

Sail Time is the school they have here. I knew one of the Instructors and he seemed to just enjoy talking sailing with folks.

He kept his Bristol 31.1 near my boat also.

https://sailtime.com/virginia/
I feel as if the classes work after buying the eventual boat, so that the knowledge could be put into action right away. Also, some basic classes are valuable if they give privileges at sailing clubs, like solo sailing and such. And, a sailing club is a sound idea if you live in an expensive town like NYC, otherwise, waste of money.
Old 07-04-2022, 12:11   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
You might want to check out this lady's site. She's been living on Good Old Boats for about 10 years.

I believe she has owned maybe 5 boats over that period all for like $6,000 or less.

She has cruised up and down the East coats USA several times.

Dinghy Dreams – Road to the Sea
Nice, but I don't like the old long keels. Most of them are modified keels with a rudder attached to the keel itself anyway. Get a heavy thick 50% of the hull fin keel and attach a rudder to it. Doesn't look right to me.

I like the new Jboats, Sun Fast, the new Beneteau First and such. If I want to cruise, then Seawind catamarans. No too much wood inside, simple, and fun to sail. All theorical info at the moment, of course, but the path I'll be taking.
Old 07-04-2022, 19:41   #50

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kite View Post
Get a heavy thick 50% of the hull fin keel and attach a rudder to it. Doesn't look right to me.
What? Bite your tongue!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 06:36   #51

Boat: O'Day Mariner 19 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Kite, you have just perfectly described A Rhodes 19. Simple, sturdy, well mannered and there were 3200 of them built. They are seaworthy enough that there was a large fleet of them racing on SF Bay some years back, and I believe you could trailer one behind a quite small car.

Seems like most of the replies are urging you to go bigger and more complicated. I think your plan as described above is better.

Jim
I agree that the Rhodes 19 fills the bill and would add that the keel version of the O'Day Mariner is the same hull but with a small cabin. Class website: https://www.usmariner.org. George O'Day is quoted as saying that the Rhodes/Mariner hull was the best sailing design that his company ever produced.

John Bowers
O'Day Mariner 2+2 (centerboard) #3435
John Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 08:10   #52

Boat: currently boatless and looking

Ive been sailing for 30 years. My first boat was a Catalina 22. Learned the basics on her and sailed all over Puget Sound with a wife, 2 kids and a dog. Good memories. Lots of parts available (catalina direct) and easy mast to step.
6 yrs later swapped her for a Hunter 23 ( onefootitis)...this ticks your box for a fractional rig...tho no idea why thats important for learning the basics. Longer and definitely heavier mast to step. Following this came a slew of larger boats.
Your list of requirements disqualifies most entry boats. If it were me I'd get a cheap, simple, robust, trailerable keelboat that I can easily work on and easily sell.
FoxIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 08:21   #53
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: First keel sailboat for single hand learning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
How do you know that the person you're following knows where they're going..................or whether you're even going to the same place??

Even more important, do you know their draught..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 08:42   #54

Boat: Gemini 3200

Where are you going to find a cheap dock?
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 09:02   #55

Boat: Pearson 386

Sorry, didn't take notice your mention of a keel because someone said Sunfish. Catalina 22 or Capri 22 or Pearson Ensign, Cape Cod Mercury some had keels. these are all good learn to sail keel boats, but also are considerably more boat than a "car topper" or sailing dinghy. They need a more specialized trailer unless you have a slip or are joining a club with launch assistance.
OneBoatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 10:28   #56

Boat: Amel 41
Send a message via Yahoo to lo2jones

After going through the basic courses at a sailing school, a couple bought a Balboa 19. For two years they sailed most weekends and holidays. They made every mistake in the book, but learned from them. Their next boat that they sailed into the sunset was a Nordic 40!
lo2jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 11:20   #57

Boat: 1989 MacGregor 26D

I had the same conversation in my head before I bought my boat. I took the ASA 101 class in July 2019 and was eager to buy my own, but I wondered if I should buy a boat that the class used, a Flying Scot, or something else.

I pondered all through 2020 (COVID). Considered:

*Current geographical location
*My own purposes, intentions for the boat for the next 4 years, when I fully retire
*Portability, availability & cost dry storage/moorings/slips in my area (this was/is a big deal)
*Being able to single-hand sail (husband & adult kids have no interest; they just want to have fun without the work involved)
*Cost

In January 2021, I bought my '89 MacGregor 26D. Spent nearly all of last season cleaning, repairing and refitting the interior, which I enjoyed doing & learned *A LOT* about the "mechanics" of all the parts of a sailboat & how they relate to one another.

This season is my sailing season. I had already joined the yacht club & now have a couple great retired guys who are willing to be my private instructors & advise me on things that need tweaked, repaired or replaced.

I'm fiercely independent, and it was difficult for me to reach out for help, but I want to be a knowledgeable, safe and courteous sailorwoman.

In the end, it's all about what makes you happy. Enjoy yourself, no matter what boat you end up with. I see kayak sailors having the time of their lives out there!

Fair winds!
KRK-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 02:05   #58

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Another approach is to look around your area and see what single-class racing is going on.
You can start off as crew on someone else’s boat and then look to buy if it suits.
They will often have some boats available for sale.
Plus, you’ll usually find that they’re happy to help new owners get started (unless you start winning races, of course).
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2022, 07:38   #59

Boat: Beneteau

Undoubtedly lots of good advice here but I found that being a four hour drive from the closest sailing course made that approach unfeasible for me. Because I live on a great little Cove and have access to it we simply put out a sturdy mooring and bought a 27 footer. Read some books for pointers and off we went. No idea what I was doing when I first rigged the boat but seems I got it right.

Admittedly I did grow up in boats from a very early age having started life on an island. The smaller wetter boats didn't work for me either as the water temperature here rarely gets above 5 degrees Celsius in summer and it's often very windy and sprinkled with rain and fog.

The right boat is such a personal thing that all advice must be manipulated to fit or tossed out. Be realistic in how you are probably going to use it and you'll be happier down the road.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, keel, learning, sail, sailboat, single