Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2008, 19:07   #16

Quote:
...I use land based terms on purpose...
I have come to the conclusion that it matters little what term we use for the head/washroom, galley/kitchen, locker/closet. Choose a noun and use it - whatever terms make it most easy to communicate with the crew.

If they evince an interest in learning the argot, encourage and help but if they don't, there is nothing to be gained by trying to forcefeed it.

The one-piece molded compartments midships on modern boats bear little resemblance to the wooden bucket found in a focsle 150 years ago, so why are we so determined to brand them with the same name ?

I'm in favour of tradition and holding on to things from the past, but I'm in favour of helping new sailors and prospective sailors feel comfortable and welcome also; and if some crusty old idiot at the club bar starts harumphing when a sheet gets called a rope, I'm thinking they'd do well to remember their manners.
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:38   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goad
...I have come very close to landing on a 1983 Irwin Citation that is a 34 footer.
Two questions, first: what is the collective opinion of this manufacturer...
The Irwin Yachts website has lots of information:
http://www.irwinyachts.com/aft-cockpit_files/AFT1.htm

Irwin Citation 34 (review):
Irwin Citation 34

See also:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ons-10333.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:03   #18
elf

Boat: Catalina 30
For your intended use and price range, definitely look at Catalina 30s. Yes, I am partial , but we looked at 35 foot boots that didn't feel as big inside as the C30, and a Hunter 30 we toured seemed much more cramped as well. The C30 has a great galley for a 30-foot boat. The head is small, though. As a first boat, it's an easy boat to learn on, get comfortable on, and explore on. We'll probably move up to a slightly larger boat one day, but for now, we love our C30. It's a comfortable, functional, easy to sail boat.

Good luck in your search!

elf
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 21:04   #19

My wife and I went through this stuff last year. After looking around and getting advice about how we should not buy a Hunter and should purchase a "blue water" cruiser, we bought a Hunter 34. The boat is in GREAT shape with a nice 350 hour Yanmar.

We couldn't be happier with our choice of a well cared for older Hunter. It is easy to sail and has more than enough room to make my wife (and me) happy.

I wouldn't take the boat across an ocean but I certainly plan on taking it to the Bahamas.

I see so many people buying WAY more boat then they will EVER need. It's kind of sad! People sitting in a harbor on cramped Water boats">blue water boats getting ready for a world cruise that will never happen.

Our plan was to spend a little as possible on a boat big enough to make us happy. Learn to sail her as best as possible. Then sell it to buy a boat of our dreams.

Damn if the cheap one we bought turned out to cover everything we plan to do.

If you like a boat and it fits your needs, GO FOR IT!

The internet is FULL of information about things to watch out for. Check the owners groups. Gather as much information as you can so that you can be your own initial surveyor. This way you can rule out unworthy boats before paying a proffesional.

Once you find a good candidate, hire a surveyor.

Good luck and don't be led into buying a boat which is not suitable for what YOU plan to use it for.
PA28235Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 21:59   #20

FWIW: We've been sailing and having fun all summer and have yet to take ANY kind of formal training. This ain't rocket science and yes I know enough to be safe.

If there are those thinking I'm goofy for doing this, I got my private ticket and instrument rating without ever setting foot in a classroom either. I find it easier to read about a concept and digest it rather than sit through a class while someone else tries to teach me about it.
PA28235Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:15   #21
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Pilot,

You've made several good points! You bought a boat that fills your needs. You taught yourself how to sail, without major injuries or damage to the equipment.

Those hoping to get into cruising need to listen to the advice of those more experienced, but they also need to take it with a grain of salt. No one can tell you what's right for you. It just takes time and effort to learn and develop your own approach to the cruising lifestyle.

Good posts, and good example for Newbies coming behind you!