Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2016, 07:28   #16

Re: First trip getting my boat home nightmare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcrash View Post
So in my defense....(BAAHAAHAA)
No really I tested the bilge pump but its the hand pump at the rear of the boat.... Now I know it wasn't hooked up properly. There is no automatic bilge on the boat ....yet. There will be one soon.
I also ran the motor a few times, in fact the day before I left I ran it for over an hour and no issues, but it wasn't under a load of pushing the boat 5 knots, just idling it the dock is not the same stress.

The motor oil was dry and not milky and the motor would turn over but not fire. All new hoses to be installed soon.

I don't mind telling a failure story. Glad we made it. and now that she's safe at home, I can start working the issues.

First thing I have to do is put some comforts on her because Ill be staying on her a couple nights a week. Then get into the repairs.

Mind you this was a 3000$ boat. Owned by the original owners, a German engineer, the boat is in beautiful shape and the motor not under a load purred.
More fun to come !
Exactly.. Definitely more fun to come. Very good posts and most on here I imagine can relate to "first times out".

I was wondering, did you enjoy your adventure?
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:56   #17

Hey Crash,
Glad you are not afraid to acknowledge your failures. They are part of every learning experience. As a retired educator and coach, I will tell you that all success is based on failures. Even learning to walk is learning how not to fall and you don't start out running. Ever heard of someone who did not fall when learning to walk or did not fail when learning? It is all about the attitude (okay maybe a little about perception). Welcome to the wonderful world of sailing. Finally, if you don't remember me, I'm the guy who first reccommended getting tow coverage before your trip (my suggestion after both leaving home w/o it and then having numerous occasions thereafter in which the lesson learned bailed me out like it did you). Keep working on everything and you will be rewarded with one of life's great joys - I think you already know that.
bruce v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:37   #18

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

there are so many more to come, other will be happy incidents and other will be annoying incidents but all together is sailing and this is the best can happen to us.
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:13   #19

Boat: Newport 30

OK 2XCrash, being that I am "the friend who talked you into buying a boat" I`ll give everyone following this thread my take on the day. To one of the previous posts, yea I probably got what I deserved!
Cost of boat- $3K
Cost of tow insurance-$160
Cost of look on 2XCrash`s face as he is grasping tiller whilst puking over side, me handing him a pail of bilge water and blurting out "Aint ya glad I talked you into buying a boat!!??"
Priceless !!
Dubble D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:49   #20

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Bet you are glad the sea and the weather we not major contributors. If I recall the postings relative to the planning for the move, someone had suggested Sea Tow or similar, and you apparently took the advice to heart, with gusto. Good call.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:02   #21

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Nice post, thank you. I think most sailors have a few stories like that. In an old cheap boat things do go wrong, pretty much all the time. But you gain huge experience and over time self reliance.
Try to always have a plan B thought through ahead of time.
Old 12-06-2016, 16:56   #22

Boat: C30 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubble D View Post
OK 2XCrash, being that I am "the friend who talked you into buying a boat" I`ll give everyone following this thread my take on the day. To one of the previous posts, yea I probably got what I deserved!
Cost of boat- $3K
Cost of tow insurance-$160
Cost of look on 2XCrash`s face as he is grasping tiller whilst puking over side, me handing him a pail of bilge water and blurting out "Aint ya glad I talked you into buying a boat!!??"
Priceless !!
YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN TAKING PICTURES!!!! BAAHAAHAA!!!

Can't wait till the boys at work hear the story too!

Can't wait for the next trip!!!!
2xcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 17:47   #23

Boat: Alberg 30 Ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsta_Rebel View Post
Exactly.. Definitely more fun to come. Very good posts and most on here I imagine can relate to "first times out".

I was wondering, did you enjoy your adventure?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcrash View Post
So in my defense....(BAAHAAHAA)
No really I tested the bilge pump but its the hand pump at the rear of the boat.... Now I know it wasn't hooked up properly. There is no automatic bilge on the boat ....yet. There will be one soon.
I also ran the motor a few times, in fact the day before I left I ran it for over an hour and no issues, but it wasn't under a load of pushing the boat 5 knots, just idling it the dock is not the same stress.

The motor oil was dry and not milky and the motor would turn over but not fire. All new hoses to be installed soon.

I don't mind telling a failure story. Glad we made it. and now that she's safe at home, I can start working the issues.

First thing I have to do is put some comforts on her because Ill be staying on her a couple nights a week. Then get into the repairs.

Mind you this was a 3000$ boat. Owned by the original owners, a German engineer, the boat is in beautiful shape and the motor not under a load purred.
More fun to come !
From NYCLB1970

I worked my way through California State University at Long Beach teaching sailing at the US Naval Station Long Beach 1970 to 1973.

I knew those waters very well. I am 71 years old. All these comments and no mention of MARINE SURVEY! In my day, a marine survey was standard practice. Just like a home inspection. The survey should tell the buyer the condition of the boat. You have options, have the seller pay for repairs, subtract the repairs from the sales price and you find reputable marine mechanics, or WALK AWAY FROM THE SALE. To quote you "a $3000 boat ..... in beautiful shape." You still haven't learned!

First time motorboat owner, might get away with "turn on the blowers before turning the key, and casting off". However, a Marine Survey would still be a good idea. Sea trail would also be a good idea.

For the beginning first time sailboat owner, take sailing lessons in a 15 ft day sailor with a center board that will easily tip over. Take some half day sails with your sailing advisor. Then find a nice sailboat. Marine survey, and sea trail with seller.

If it were me, tell a local Marine Survey about this thread. Maybe he (she) would perform an in water survey at no charge so you can tell the world what they found and you could recommend the surveyor.

Final thought. My homeport is on the east coast in southeast Georgia. The center of Colin passed 30 miles inland last week. If my boat had sunk in navigable waters from Colin, USCG would have required me to "move" my boat and clean up any hazardous material in the water. As a boat owner, it pays to think ahead and be prepared. Helms alee shipmate.
NYCLB1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 20:08   #24

Boat: C30 Catalina

When I say she's a $3000 boat in beautiful shape, I had looked at about a dozen other boats before finding this boat.
Compared to boats I had looked at this boat could have easily gone for 6k. The inside is in original shape, doesn't smell and in good working order. The motor looks to be in good shape and ran smooth. I knew the thru hull for the intake needed replacement and the bottom needed paint. When the boat was taken out for paint we found that all the other thru hulls for plumbing had been plugged and glassed over. The original owners who I had bought the boat from wanted a coastal sailor nothing else.
In owning a jet boat I should have put my eyes on the bilge pump.
Have I learned my lesson... you bet. Will the next boat I buy be surveyed, and tested absolutely.

Do I think I was a dumb ass for not shaking down the boat you bet. But i'll say this. If the winds were good she would have made the trip with no other issues. I made the call to tow the boat in. The boat was not taking on water when the winds quit on us, she started taking on water from the tow .If I wasn't so sick I would have waited the wind out.
Life lesson learned!
2xcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 21:49   #25

Boat: Spacesailer 20

How much would a marine survey for your size of boat cost?

(SIGH)
I'd rather be sailing.
Old 13-06-2016, 00:28   #26

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
First trip getting my boat home nightmare!

Sounds like you and your buddy are still on good terms.

That makes it a very successful trip in my books.

Good luck tracking down the leak and plugging it. And the point about the seasickness being brought on by added stress is well made. Likewise I would not mind betting you were probably a little tired before you set off, another recipe for increased sea sickness. Don't ask me how I know this.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 13-06-2016, 10:43   #27

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

When you guys get all the kinks worked out, let me know if you head up this way to the islands! Once you start sailing around them you'll forget all the previous issues. The couple right next to me have a Cat 27 and they are just warming up for their first island overnighter too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 06:46   #28

Boat: Scout 30

Doubtful that a survey would have turned up engine problems. Surveyors rarely check out engines. As I recall from your previous thread I think this was an Atomic 4. If you have not replaced the old gas that could be your problem. Unlike diesel, gas goes bad within a few months. In addition Ethanol is hydroscopic so it absorbs water from the air. Check your water separator/fuel filter for water. Regarding electric bilge pumps put a small one in the bilge & a large one above it. After you get the pumps installed you should check out the packing in the stuffing box which can be changed in the water if it's bad. I always have 2 wrenches aboard to tighten the stuffing box down when necessary. Just don't over tighten it.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 08:31   #29

Yeah, I wouldn't spend survey money on a $1600 boat either likely.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 08:32   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanowens1966 View Post
How much would a marine survey for your size of boat cost?

(SIGH)
I'd rather be sailing.
About $500 plus haul out.
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote